The Student Room Group

RAF Fitness test

Hello,
Recently i passed my interview for the RAF and will soon have my medical on the 3rd of December and hopefully my fitness test following. I've started the gym but i am pretty clueless on what to do. Does anyone have a routine i could follow that could help me build Cardio as well as muscle?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Row on a treadmill whie doing squats and bicep curls

Hope this helps
Reply 2
How long for Rowing, and treadmill? and how many reps/sets for Squats and curls?
Original post by Chandlar
How long for Rowing, and treadmill? and how many reps/sets for Squats and curls?

Don't listen to the other person and just do bicep curls otherwise you will develop muscular imbalances. I would recommend if you want to put on muscle quickly to primarily focus on bench, squat and dead lift. Try doing 8-12 reps for 3 sets if your goal is hypo trophy.

In regards to cardio, try varying up the cardio you do i.e 1 day treadmill, another bike/rowing/step master etc. This would keep you still interested in doing cardio and prevent you from becoming bored. Personally, I would recommend doing cardio at the end of your workout but its up to you. :smile:
Harsh jlsmp! Read the message again Chandlar, you cant row on a treadmill (well you could but it would be hard).

Ok so you need to run 1.5 miles (2.4km) in a certain time, are you male or female? If you are between 17-29 and male its 1.5 miles in 11mins and 11 seconds! then 20 push ups in 1 minute and 35 sit ups.

Have a look here
https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/how-to-apply/eligibility-check/

basically you need to be exceeding those targets so aim to get your run within the 10 minute mark, 25-30 push ups and a good 40 sit ups.

Best start not is you haven't already as its harder than you think if you are not used to running, upper body and core workouts.
I don't know what the specifics are these days, but in general for military fitness tests you'll probably be running 1.5 miles, doing press-ups, sit-ups and maybe pull-ups and a load carry, so concentrate on those. Try to run outside as well as on a treadmill. Don't worry about fancy gym routines. Did your recruiter/AFCO give you more information on training programmes? Good luck!
Reply 6
Haha thats true though there was some sort of typo, but thanks. At least i have more of an idea what to do now. i've been doing 1 mile runs in 6 minutes so i think with the 1.5 mile run i should do okay but i just want to keep on to of that, but at the same time i want to improve.
Reply 7
Original post by Duncan2012
I don't know what the specifics are these days, but in general for military fitness tests you'll probably be running 1.5 miles, doing press-ups, sit-ups and maybe pull-ups and a load carry, so concentrate on those. Try to run outside as well as on a treadmill. Don't worry about fancy gym routines. Did your recruiter/AFCO give you more information on training programmes? Good luck!

Well i ain't had had any specifics in regarding programmes but i could give them a call an find out what else they recommend.
I was given a work out plan by the AFCO to help me for OASC.
Reply 9
Original post by Charfredo
I was given a work out plan by the AFCO to help me for OASC.

Would it bet better to go and see them or will they send it over email?
Would it bet better to go and see them or will they send it over email?

I had one as well, best go and see them as its a booklet.
Reply 11
Original post by kilted_sparky
I had one as well, best go and see them as its a booklet.

Thanks mate, ill make sure i will go in hen im not at work.
It was a booklet that I was given after my P2 presentation. I can try find a digital copy for you?
Reply 13
Original post by Charfredo
It was a booklet that I was given after my P2 presentation. I can try find a digital copy for you?

Yes please bro if you could that oils be very helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes please bro if you could that oils be very helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a digital copy at my Air Cadet Sqn so I'll upload it tonight, for now though, I used to use this one almost as a warm up before I did my standard gym routine before I even applied for the RAF. http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/Get_fit_for_the_Army.pdf
Hello,
Recently i passed my interview for the RAF and will soon have my medical on the 3rd of December and hopefully my fitness test following. I've started the gym but i am pretty clueless on what to do. Does anyone have a routine i could follow that could help me build Cardio as well as muscle?

Sorry if it sounds noddy but I would literally mimic the fitness test exercises in the gym to extreme, so for press ups I'd use a TRX if your gym has one, and do press ups with my feet in the holders and then my hands, or I'd do press ups in front of the mirror with a very low item to assist so I could feel the touch on my shoulder, like a squashed down power bag. Put a good song on repeat, do as many press ups as you can during each chorus, rest in between, and finish that exercise when I'd reached 100. That would probably be all I did for that day.

Sit ups, mix up the exercises with Russian twists and various abs exercises for the different areas of your abs, and finish with yoga (sucking in your abs for balance!)

Running, I'd either run endurance one day (far and manageable pace) and increase the distance each time, other days would be interval sprints, and other days practise bleep test on a flat floor so I could practise the turns, because a poor turning technique is what will catch you out on the bleep test.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Hello,

Your fitness test is a bleep test, max press-ups in 1min and then max sit ups in 1min.
As a minimum you need 9.1-11.6 in the bleep, 20-39 press-ups and 35-40 sit-ups.
The 1.5 mile run comes after in a PJFT.
As for a routine, simply just eat well, go for jogs, plenty of sit-ups, plenty of press ups and then whatever you can find in the gym
Reply 17
Original post by BCS1997
Your fitness test is a bleep test, max press-ups in 1min and then max sit ups in 1min.
As a minimum you need 9.1-11.6 in the bleep, 20-39 press-ups and 35-40 sit-ups.
The 1.5 mile run comes after in a PJFT.
As for a routine, simply just eat well, go for jogs, plenty of sit-ups, plenty of press ups and then whatever you can find in the gym

oh okay, thanks i usually do a run in the morning and at night, i also do press ups and sit ups too. With the Press/sit ups is it in set or just once for each exercise?
Reply 18
oh okay, thanks i usually do a run in the morning and at night, i also do press ups and sit ups too. With the Press/sit ups is it in set or just once for each exercise?

You should be fine with that running then, they aren't looking for you to be an athlete, just basic level of fitness, fitness will be increased through IOT.

As I know, you do the press-ups 5 mins after the bleep, then sit-ups shortly after that . Don't know if this answers your question, unsure what you mean mate haha
Reply 19
Original post by BCS1997
You should be fine with that running then, they aren't looking for you to be an athlete, just basic level of fitness, fitness will be increased through IOT.

As I know, you do the press-ups 5 mins after the bleep, then sit-ups shortly after that . Don't know if this answers your question, unsure what you mean mate haha

okay, and well i mean do you do say 3 sets of each exercise?

Quick Reply

Latest