The Student Room Group

Gym newbie-help please!

Hey everyone :hi:

I'm new to the thread. I've just joined the local fitness centre and have access to the gym, classes and the pool. I am 5"3. 9st11lbs and have a body fat percentage of 22.6%. I want to generally get fit, lower my body fat percentage, tone up and just generally get healthy. I can run a 5K so I'm not really really unfit, however I am clueless when it comes to what to do in the gym! I want to go about 3 times a week (I work weekends so 3/4 is about as much as I can fit in) and do a mixture of cardio and strength training. Does anyone have any advice with regards to a rough workout plan/regime? Is it best to start with cardio or strength?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Have you read the FAQ?
Reply 2
Original post by TeaLeaves93
Hey everyone :hi:

I'm new to the thread. I've just joined the local fitness centre and have access to the gym, classes and the pool. I am 5"3. 9st11lbs and have a body fat percentage of 22.6%. I want to generally get fit, lower my body fat percentage, tone up and just generally get healthy. I can run a 5K so I'm not really really unfit, however I am clueless when it comes to what to do in the gym! I want to go about 3 times a week (I work weekends so 3/4 is about as much as I can fit in) and do a mixture of cardio and strength training. Does anyone have any advice with regards to a rough workout plan/regime? Is it best to start with cardio or strength?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Read the FAQ, probably explain it better than I could

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757

As regards to your last comment, a mixture of both is always best. Adjusting the ratio to meet whatever goal you have.

(e.g. A strength athlete would focus more on strength training, but should always incorporate some form of cardio into their weekly routine)

Quick Reply

Latest