The Student Room Group

Computer Science w/ or w/o Mathematics?

Hi guys, I've started my course in computer science and am not sure if I should continue doing it alone or with maths modules too. I have take maths and further maths throughout my alevels. I'm not sure if I should change though as I am already half way through my first semester, and so will be behind in the maths modules. I need some advice on how to proceed.
It's also worth noting that, if i take it with maths, I will also have to come into university more often. Though at the moment this thought is daunting, I will become accustomed to it.
Any advice on how I should proceed would be great. Should I complete the semester and then switch? Perhaps not at all?
Original post by Sp1der
Hi guys, I've started my course in computer science and am not sure if I should continue doing it alone or with maths modules too. I have take maths and further maths throughout my alevels. I'm not sure if I should change though as I am already half way through my first semester, and so will be behind in the maths modules. I need some advice on how to proceed.
It's also worth noting that, if i take it with maths, I will also have to come into university more often. Though at the moment this thought is daunting, I will become accustomed to it.
Any advice on how I should proceed would be great. Should I complete the semester and then switch? Perhaps not at all?

Talk to your personal tutor about what is and isn't possible.

I can kind of see how you'd have to come in more if you picked up Mathematics, but I'd have thought it's almost offset by some of the computer science modules that you won't have to come in for.

Maths at uni can get pretty difficult, and chances are you'll be studying Algebra if you did Maths, which you've probably never come across before (unless you've done a discrete Maths module in computing already) and I find that it's not great fun to be honest, but you may like it.

If you're not happy and you could see yourself doing a bit of Maths then talk to your personal tutor about it. It may be that you can only switch now but you'd have to catch up on 8 weeks worth of stuff, as sometimes second semester stuff follows on from the first.
Reply 2
Thanks from that prompt reply, i do plan on discussing thos with my tutor. I just wanted pther opinions.
What course have you done or currently study?
Computer scijece sometimes just feels as though thete are some tedious modules. And fpr the majority (3/4) i only have 1 lecture for yhe whole week
Original post by SeanFM
Talk to your personal tutor about what is and isn't possible.

I can kind of see how you'd have to come in more if you picked up Mathematics, but I'd have thought it's almost offset by some of the computer science modules that you won't have to come in for.

Maths at uni can get pretty difficult, and chances are you'll be studying Algebra if you did Maths, which you've probably never come across before (unless you've done a discrete Maths module in computing already) and I find that it's not great fun to be honest, but you may like it.

If you're not happy and you could see yourself doing a bit of Maths then talk to your personal tutor about it. It may be that you can only switch now but you'd have to catch up on 8 weeks worth of stuff, as sometimes second semester stuff follows on from the first.

Algebra is bae tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending