The Student Room Group

What happens if one submits a university assignment incorrectly?!

I have submitted one assignment already, and am due to do another one tomorrow. However, I feel as though I have not made the assignments in the right format; I have heard talk of people mentioning their names and word count when talking about assignments, etc, which makes me suggest that those things should have been included, but I missed the first few weeks of the course and as such I wouldn't have known this- I wasn't told if I had to do this either when I did ask if there was anything else I had to do.

For example, If the task was to submit a report, I would submit the report. I am not sure if I would have had to include other details such as student number, etc.

What would happen if these details were needed- would my assignments be unmark-able?

Any help is much appreciated.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Wiggly
I have submitted one assignment already, and am due to do another one tomorrow. However, I feel as though I have not made the assignments in the right format; I have heard talk of people including their names and word count within the document, etc, but I missed the first few weeks of the course and as such I wouldn't have known this- I wasn't told if I had to do this either when I did ask if there was anything else I had to do.

For example, If the task was to submit a report, I would submit the report. I am not sure if I would have had to include other details such as student number, etc.

What would happen if these details were needed- would my assignments be unmark-able?

Any help is much appreciated.

Did you put any information on them or a cover sheet for them to identify your work? Was it submitted as a hard copy or online?
Reply 2
If it does not contain your student number or name, how will they know whose it is?

In the absence of any advice to the contrary, always include:

Name
Student number
Course code and course name
Date
Assignment number
The question

Personally I make sure the course code, my name and the page number is on every page in case the marker drops all the answers.
Since you're in first year i imagine you'll be let off for making mistakes in the first few assignments.
I would just email someone, such as your personal tutor or course coordinator to confirm.
But what you'll probably need on there is the course title and number, assignment name, student number, date and word count. Not your name.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
Did you put any information on them or a cover sheet for them to identify your work? Was it submitted as a hard copy or online?

All the assignments are to submitted online through turnitin, so that's why I didn't think it would be necessary to include details such as author and word count because I assumed it would be recorded digitally.

Looking at other assignment briefs for other units though, these things are wanted to be included, but I don't know if that would be the case for all assignments.
Original post by Wiggly
All the assignments are to submitted online through turnitin, so that's why I didn't think it would be necessary to include details such as author and word count because I assumed it would be recorded digitally.

Looking at other assignment briefs for other units though, these things are wanted to be included, but I don't know if that would be the case for all assignments.

Ah i see,that's understandable, when you submit through turnitin it should link to your account so your lectures will know that it is yours so they should be able to know mark it.

However, i believe they ask for your name and details for electronic submission as a back up (or if they moderate them and therefore print off a hard copy/download it off turnitin) and sometimes not following formatting instructions might lose you a couple of marks but it shouldn't cause a massive problem just make sure you do it in future just to be safe:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Simes

Personally I make sure the course code, my name and the page number is on every page in case the marker drops all the answers.

Original post by LiquidGold
Since you're in first year i imagine you'll be let off for making mistakes in the first few assignments.
I would just email someone, such as your personal tutor or course coordinator to confirm.
But what you'll probably need on there is the course title and number, assignment name, student number, date and word count. Not your name.

Original post by claireestelle
Ah i see,that's understandable, when you submit through turnitin it should link to your account so your lectures will know that it is yours so they should be able to know mark it.

However, i believe they ask for your name and details for electronic submission as a back up (or if they moderate them and therefore print off a hard copy/download it off turnitin) and sometimes not following formatting instructions might lose you a couple of marks but it shouldn't cause a massive problem just make sure you do it in future just to be safe:smile:

Thank you.
I've just emailed my personal tutor explaining how I feel I have just mucked things right up (using those exact four words), and I am now on Google Earth trying to find a big old bridge to jump off.
:frown:
Original post by Wiggly
Thank you.
I've just emailed my personal tutor explaining how I feel I have just mucked things right up (using those exact four words), and I am now on Google Earth trying to find a big old bridge to jump off.

Everybody makes mistakes in their 1st year of university, there ll be people who wont have managed to submit anything at all.
As it was done electronically they should quite easily be able to figure out that its your work, there are much worse things to muck up at university honestly:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Wiggly
Thank you.

I'm sure you'll be fine. Your personal tutor should be able to reassure you and give you guidance for future submissions.

Also, keep your eye on the small print of individual assignment briefs, which sometimes specify how they should be formatted and presented. Mine used to give a specific font, font size and line spacing. One lecturer liked to mix it up by specifying different formats for references/bibliography, although this was a particularly mean trick!
Reply 9
Original post by Wiggly
I am now on Google Earth trying to find a big old bridge to jump off.

:laugh:

That is so funny, I'm going to steal and re-use it. :-)
I really wouldn't worry about name as through turnitin, it shows your number. Also your uni may have the same policy as mine where we aren't allowed to put our names on the essay so it's completely anonymous :smile:
Reply 11
Thanks all; my tutor said it was alright as long as I include such details in the future.
Original post by Simes
:laugh:
That is so funny, I'm going to steal and re-use it. :-)

Please reference me when you do use it. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending