The Student Room Group

Something smells rotten here

Scroll to see replies

Original post by F.Nietzsche
Islam is not above criticism, nothing wrong with islamaphobia.

Spoiler

Islamaphobia: "dislike of or prejudice against Islam or Muslims"

By definition, Islamaphobia is a bad thing.

Criticising a religion is fine, in my view. But Islamaphobia does not refer to the critical evaluation of Islam, it refers to something much worse.
Reply 21
Original post by Underscore__
What on earth are you talking about? The example you gave would be relevant if I had said 'if Muslims found out that the prophet Mohammed was a terrorist they'd be more likely to become terrorists'. A better comparison to have made using Jimmy Saville would have been to say 'if a few Jimmy Saville fan club members started raping children, bashing all members of his, now likely defunct, fan club would make them more likely to become pedophiles because they feel alienated'. You also ignore the psychology of what makes someone become a terrorist and what makes someone rape children.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your argument (correct me if I'm wrong) was that people highlighting how the ideology that Muslims follow permits abhorrent practices, will only lead to them committing more of those abhorrent practices.

Your counter example has absolutely no relevace to the issue at hand.

The people who you claimed would be radicalised by highlighting the nature of the ideology that they adhere to, were not previously committing those acts. You claimed that people explaining to them the true nature of their accepted ideology would lead to radicalisation.
Reply 22
Original post by aamirac
Most of the threads just talk of Islam. Not necessary the hate towards muslims. People often forget the difference.
We have to bear in mind the reduced logical capacity of the indoctrinated.

To them, the statement..."The Quran contains verses that can be interpreted as exhortation to violence against those who oppose their ideology"... reads "All Muslims are terrorists so they should all go home".

It's a bit like dealing with a hormonal teenager...
"Could you please tidy you room"... elicits the response "You hate me don't you. I wish I was dead!"
Reply 23
Not only is there nothing wrong with Islamophobia but there needs to be wider criticism of cultures of barbarism in general, the idea that the culture of Milan and say rural Pakistan are equivalent in terms of civility is retarded
Reply 24
Original post by NorthBank
Islamaphobia: "dislike of or prejudice against Islam or Muslims"

By definition, Islamaphobia is a bad thing.

Criticising a religion is fine, in my view. But Islamaphobia does not refer to the critical evaluation of Islam, it refers to something much worse.
But "Islamophobia" is used by many Muslims as a label against any criticism of their ideology, as well as the "All Muslims are terrorists. We should send them all back" trope.

In reality, "Islamophobia" is actually "xenophobic racism", and has nothing to do with reasoned criticism of an ideology that promotes slavery, sex with slaves, wife beating, gender religious and sexual intolerance.
Original post by QE2
Completely fallacious argument.

So, if you told members of the Jimmy Saville Fan Club that their hero was actually a rather unpleasant child molester rather than the jolly fund-raiser that they assumed him to be, that would make them more likely to become child molesters themselves?

The quality of the argument in support of airbrushing over the warts is getting lower and lower.

Why the Jimmy Savile Fan Club? Jimmy Savile was a Catholic wasn't he?

Are paedos the real Catholics?
Is it time for Europe to ban Catholicism?
Why aren't Catholics marching in the street against paedos?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kwan
So much Islamophobia threads, I feel like I have been transported
to a EDL/BNP website.

What do you expect? The mods ban people left, right and centre for even discussing normal healthy adult topics like sex and alcohol, but come onto TSR and spend every post spewing undiluted hatred about women and Muslims and they turn a blind eye.
Original post by Unkempt_One
Several years ago there were threads like this except much tamer, but they were negged to oblivion and spammed with outraged comments. There were also loads of posters who just posted one-liners and gags since that was the sure-fire way to rack up mad pos. Since negs were removed the primary motivator of anonymised disapproval and snark has been deconstructed, and rather than contest these views maturely it seems many just left, and thus the threads have got worse. That's how I see it anyway.

i suppose since several years ago the wider (world, not jsut uk) popultion have got tired witht he constant progression of jihadist ideology, spreading into islamic community without it seems much challlenge from those people, apart from the again rather tiresome apology of " oh these people arnt muslims / islamic" that seems to be the phrase used most oft on bbc /sky news etc currently - but it its a meaningless apologist statement as we all know
Original post by MichaelGreen
Why the Jimmy Savile Fan Club? Jimmy Savile was a Catholic wasn't he?Are paedos the real Catholics?Is it time for Europe to ban Catholicism?Why aren't Catholics marching in the street against paedos?
Good sarcasm :thumbsup:i guess if there was a major jimmy saville attack in pretty much every country in the world where there is a signifcant white middle aged population, then all the above would be justified. if there were white people walking around saying " jimmy saville wasnt a real white man, he wasnt following white ideology" while allowing jimmy saville and his cronies to continue what he did without challenge, then yes, youd have a pointin all seriousness, white middle aged western mens underage perversions are a big problem in society ,as are white/far right supremacists and terrorists - but to accept this you have to ALSO accept that islamic ideology inspired crimes and terrorism are one fo the worlds major problems also.Also cybercrime from the far east.
Original post by Chakede
Good sarcasm :thumbsup:i guess if there was a major jimmy saville attack in pretty much every country in the world where there is a signifcant white middle aged population

I guess you missed the whole Catholic Church sexual abuse thing.
Showering every day would do the trick.

you think its been on the scale of the whole islamic fundamentallism/terrorism thing?

sounds like a lot of whataboutery - ie what about islamic grooming gangs too - which is worse catholics or islamists?
Original post by Chakede
you think its been on the scale of the whole islamic fundamentallism/terrorism thing?

sounds like a lot of whataboutery - ie what about islamic grooming gangs too - which is worse catholics or islamists?

Just trying to help out QE2 with their completely fallacious argument. :wink:
Something smells rotten here
its all the dead bodies Islam is creating (10 million Muslims have been killed by other muslims since the end of WW2)
Original post by QE2
Your argument (correct me if I'm wrong) was that people highlighting how the ideology that Muslims follow permits abhorrent practices, will only lead to them committing more of those abhorrent practices.

Your counter example has absolutely no relevace to the issue at hand.

The people who you claimed would be radicalised by highlighting the nature of the ideology that they adhere to, were not previously committing those acts. You claimed that people explaining to them the true nature of their accepted ideology would lead to radicalisation.

No I said that by bashing people and making them feel alienated you push them into the hands of the people who want to radicalise them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The crusades have started again, in case you haven't noticed.
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
The crusades have started again, in case you haven't noticed.

They never ended

Islam only does truces until it is in a position of power then it starts all over again

There is a tendency now to view all Catholic priests with suspicion as potential paedophiles - in some Catholic countries like Ireland, people have left the Church in large numbers following the revelations. The actions of relatively small numbers of people representing a movement or cause can easily and seriously tarnish the whole enterprise.

Similarly, it's hard for many people to distinguish attacks on Islam from attacks on Muslim people. The two are seen by many as essentially the same thing.

Huge amounts of ignorance flying around on the web and in the media commentaries about the history of Islam. One would think that Islam is entirely monolithic, that it has always been exactly the same in all places and times and that ISIL are perfect representatives of that continuity. This way of thinking plays into IS hands. They want the myth to be believed that they represent the One True Islam. In reality, Islam has had moderate and extreme phases, internal schisms, different strands of thought, militants and peace makers, etc, etc, over time. I speak as someone who is anti-religion in general (or at least, deeply sceptical about scriptural religions, cults and so on) and yet I can still see that there have been good things in Islamic societies as well as bad.

There's a backdrop to all this that 'civilisation' means us, here, now, the Western liberal capitalist culture and none other. The media right now is full of 'barbarians at the gate' rhetoric which is well wide of the mark. Yes, IS are behaving in barbaric ways, but to paint the whole Islamic world with that brush is deeply insulting. They aren't perfect and there are a lot of criticisms we could have of their societies, but ours aren't exactly perfect either.
Reply 38
Original post by Underscore__
No I said that by bashing people and making them feel alienated you push them into the hands of the people who want to radicalise them.
Do you define "bashing and alienating" to include logical and reasonable criticism of their chosed ideology?

Also, why are other groups who are being/have been bashed and alienated not fallen into the hands of radicals with a violent agenda in the same way? You don't think that perhaps the fact that their ideology already contains the extreme and violent, has something to do with it?
Original post by BaconandSauce
They never ended

Islam only does truces until it is in a position of power then it starts all over again

Ah yes, because the Islamic nations are all one sinister cabal under the control of a secret elite in, where, Saudi Arabia? Is that your theory? And that we are still trapped in the medieval world of Christian-vs-Islamic states? The latter being a popular view amongst Christian fundamentalists, are you in that category? Or just influenced by them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending