The Student Room Group

A-level opinion

Okay so I'm currently studying for my GCSE's but I need to apply for further education real soon! I just want an opinion on what A-levels are like because I'm intrigued to do them once I leave school, but I'm not sure what they consist of, many thanks:smile:

Scroll to see replies

I'm currently in year 12 and A levels are much harder than GCSEs, and there is so much more work. Even though you only do 3 or 4 subjects (some people do 5) you get a lot of homework (and they actually give it to you unlike in younger years when teachers forget) and are expected to do more work during lessons. The courses are a lot more condensed as you have a year before your first exams in them so where you had 2 or 3 years to do your GCSEs you only have a year and then in year 13 you do completely new topics.

Personally, even though they are harder I do prefer them to GCSEs as you only have to do the subjects you actually want to do and not everything the school expects you to do. Depending on what subjects you do you may or may not have coursework, what subjects are you thinking of?
Reply 2
Original post by Student232
I'm currently in year 12 and A levels are much harder than GCSEs, and there is so much more work. Even though you only do 3 or 4 subjects (some people do 5) you get a lot of homework (and they actually give it to you unlike in younger years when teachers forget) and are expected to do more work during lessons. The courses are a lot more condensed as you have a year before your first exams in them so where you had 2 or 3 years to do your GCSEs you only have a year and then in year 13 you do completely new topics.

Personally, even though they are harder I do prefer them to GCSEs as you only have to do the subjects you actually want to do and not everything the school expects you to do. Depending on what subjects you do you may or may not have coursework, what subjects are you thinking of?

Oh right, thanks for that! I was told they would be hard but i didn't realise what they consisted of! I'm thinking of English Combined, Health & Social Care, Psychology and Sociology!!
You can't comprehend the step up, I'm at A2. You should be fine though, just realise that you've got to really work for them, and put the effort into revision, there is a lot of work. I take sociology, it's really interesting and not particularly difficult (Every essay I've handed in has come back A/A* *brags*). I'm looking to study psychology in Uni as well :biggrin: Good luck with your choice!
Original post by 123seashell
Oh right, thanks for that! I was told they would be hard but i didn't realise what they consisted of! I'm thinking of English Combined, Health & Social Care, Psychology and Sociology!!

I do English Literature and Psychology - They're both amazing! Psychology is fairly easy at the beginning but it gets super hard!
You have a really good selection, good luck with your GCSE's:biggrin:
Reply 5
It can be the best. I'm actually loving my A levels at the moment. It's different for everyone. There can be good and bad times. It's just how you approach the situation. Didn't find the jump to GCSE too hard. But I guess there will be a bigger jump from AS to A2 rather than the jump from GCSE. It was just for me though. I don't do particularly difficult combination.
What do you hope to do in the future?
Original post by aamirac
It can be the best. I'm actually loving my A levels at the moment. It's different for everyone. There can be good and bad times. It's just how you approach the situation. Didn't find the jump to GCSE too hard. But I guess there will be a bigger jump from AS to A2 rather than the jump from GCSE. It was just for me though. I don't do particularly difficult combination.

There isn't a bigger jump from AS to A2, there's just more pressure from University, considering you need to achieve specific grades. Wouldn't say the content is any more difficult, that's my opinion anyway.
Reply 7
Original post by Elastichedgehog
You can't comprehend the step up, I'm at A2. You should be fine though, just realise that you've got to really work for them, and put the effort into revision, there is a lot of work. I take sociology, it's really interesting and not particularly difficult (Every essay I've handed in has come back A/A* *brags*). I'm looking to study psychology in Uni as well :biggrin: Good luck with your choice!

Okay thankyou! Yeah sociology seems really interesting, but i don't think i could receive grades like you!!!
Reply 8
Original post by Jasminem97
I do English Literature and Psychology - They're both amazing! Psychology is fairly easy at the beginning but it gets super hard!
You have a really good selection, good luck with your GCSE's:biggrin:

How hard??! It looks really interesting, and thank you!
Of course you can :smile:

Okay thankyou! Yeah sociology seems really interesting, but i don't think i could receive grades like you!!!
Original post by aamirac

Yeah that's true, exams don't really bother me so I suppose that's a good thing. Oh right okay, yeah i've been told they can be quite difficult! And i'm hoping to become a primary school teacher:smile:
Of course you can :smile:

A's/A*'s are extremely good and very hard to compete with!
A's/A*'s are extremely good and very hard to compete with!

I was a B grade student at GCSE lmao, seriously, once you get essay structure down it's hard to go wrong with sociology.
There isn't a bigger jump from AS to A2, there's just more pressure from University, considering you need to achieve specific grades. Wouldn't say the content is any more difficult, that's my opinion anyway.

Yeah I guess so. With increased pressure it just seems harder. I just have to have a better outlook on things next year. Thanks!
Yeah that's true, exams don't really bother me so I suppose that's a good thing. Oh right okay, yeah i've been told they can be quite difficult! And i'm hoping to become a primary school teacher:smile:

Exams are my only bother really. My geography exams might as well be and english lit paper because you have to read between the lines and understand the structure to put your answer in, even when they are vague.
Ahh that's great! :biggrin:
Good luck with your exams this year. I'm sure you'll do great! :hugs:
I was a B grade student at GCSE lmao, seriously, once you get essay structure down it's hard to go wrong with sociology.

I'm mixed between B's and A's:smile: yeah I was told that on one of the college open days!
Original post by aamirac
Exams are my only bother really. My geography exams might as well be and english lit paper because you have to read between the lines and understand the structure to put your answer in, even when they are vague.
Ahh that's great! :biggrin:
Good luck with your exams this year. I'm sure you'll do great! :hugs:

Yeah that's true! It's all about how you answer them! :biggrin: thankyou so much!!
Personally, I don't find the content difficult (doing AS) it's more the workload and it's also fast paced. Like the person above said, you get a lot of homework and you're expected to make further notes than just classwork. It's not something you can slack at!
What subjects are you studying? :smile:

Original post by Black Rose
Personally, I don't find the content difficult (doing AS) it's more the workload and it's also fast paced. Like the person above said, you get a lot of homework and you're expected to make further notes than just classwork. It's not something you can slack at!
What subjects are you studying? :smile:

Biology, chemistry, psychology and RS. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest