The Student Room Group

La Marseillaise to be played before Premier League games

The French national anthem - La Marseillaise - will be played before this weekend's Premier League matches.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34872166

RIP to those who were killed, but seriously, is this not becoming too much now? How about remembering those who were killed in Beirut on the same day or even remembering those who are dying every single day but the media just isn't reporting it?
Reply 1
Ridiculous. I wonder who came up with this idea.
yeah it's overkill. We already invited France to Wembley, we don't need to hear their national anthem in our country for a while. Of course there's like a proportion of Frenchmen at all 20 PL clubs but that's nothing compared to the number playing in Ligue 1
Original post by shawn_o1
yeah it's overkill. We already invited France to Wembley, we don't need to hear their national anthem in our country for a while. Of course there's like a proportion of Frenchmen at all 20 PL clubs but that's nothing compared to the number playing in Ligue 1

Clubs of which are playing the anthem before every Ligue 1 game. Frenchman also make up the second highest nationality of players in the Premier League.

It's an unusual move but respectful. Fact of the matter is, people/media will always pay more attention to events, especially major ones, closer to home, like it or not. Nevermind the terrible bombings in Beirut, I've seen hardly anyone, when moaning about the coverage of Paris compared to Lebanon, mention the massive earthquake in Mexico, of which many people are still missing.
Original post by Floydacious
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34872166

RIP to those who were killed, but seriously, is this not becoming too much now? How about remembering those who were killed in Beirut on the same day or even remembering those who are dying every single day but the media just isn't reporting it?

Nobody cares about people in Beirut, Lebanon, Nigeria etc being blown up every day but when a police DOG gets killed in Paris everyone loses their ****. Just about sums up the media in this country really.
Original post by sr90
Nobody cares about people in Beirut, Lebanon, Nigeria etc being blown up every day but when a police DOG gets killed in Paris everyone loses their ****. Just about sums up the media in this country really.

Yeah the dog thing is ludicrous. Heard absolutely nothing about the five police officers who were in injured by the explosion.
Of course it's too far. Doing it for the England/France match was absolutely the right thing to do, but I can't see any justification for this. It's the way English football has been going for some time now though - minute's applause for the tea lady's dead cat and the like.
I could imagine Richard Scudamore driving this as the FA held a perfect tribute to Paris on Tuesday which should have been reflective of all organisations in football but Richard probably wants a seperate remembrance - wouldn't want the mightly PL left out of things..
Original post by shawn_o1

The fixture was agreed months before the attacks.
Reply 9
Original post by sr90

Western readers identify with people close to their shores and not thousands of miles away shock horror.

It has been like that since the dawn of time.

Arabs are the 'other', whereas the French is drastically close to our border - and we share culture, demographics and politics with them. We're bonded by the EU, as well as geographical and historical ties.
Reply 10
Plus dogs > people.
Reply 11
Original post by llys
Plus dogs > people.

Amen.
Reply 12
Though it doesn't make sense to drag it this long
but I'm pretty sure it's because football and players were affected
Original post by Mackay
Western readers identify with people close to their shores and not thousands of miles away shock horror.

It has been like that since the dawn of time.

Arabs are the 'other', whereas the French is drastically close to our border - and we share culture, demographics and politics with them. We're bonded by the EU, as well as geographical and historical ties.

The Paris attacks were more relevant in terms of news. By the way Nigeria is a commonwealth country so they do have ties to UK, as well as there being quite a significant minority of Nigerian people or those of descent living in the UK.

But if you're going to honour victims then have the decency to honour everyone who has fallen victim to terrorism. French lives are not more important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Isometrix
The Paris attacks were more relevant in terms of news. By the way Nigeria is a commonwealth country so they do have ties to UK, as well as there being quite a significant minority of Nigerian people or those of descent living in the UK.

But if you're going to honour victims then have the decency to honour everyone who has fallen victim to terrorism. French lives are not more important.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course French lives are not more important, but you're making the mistake of thinking the British media - who are largely caucasian, middle-class and Conservative - care about black Africans as much as they do white, middle-class, bourgeoisie Europeans.
Original post by Mackay
Of course French lives are not more important, but you're making the mistake of thinking the British media - who are largely caucasian, middle-class and Conservative - care about black Africans as much as they do white, middle-class, bourgeoisie Europeans.

Lots of people who died in the Paris attacks were either Black or North African, it was in one of the most mixed areas.

Just making the point.
So, we're not against the playing of the Marseillaise before a game, as long as it's to mourn the right people? Charming.
Reply 17
Original post by The Rad Army
Lots of people who died in the Paris attacks were either Black or North African, it was in one of the most mixed areas.

Just making the point.

But these things happened in a concert hall, like many of London's, and rows of restaurants, like many of London's.

I'm not saying it's right, but the media OBVIOUSLY think this is different to Nigerians dying in Nigeria. Because it is.
Original post by Mackay
But these things happened in a concert hall, like many of London's, and rows of restaurants, like many of London's.

I'm not saying it's right, but the media OBVIOUSLY think this is different to Nigerians dying in Nigeria. Because it is.

Even though I agree the premier league is really sentimental (and it doesn't get worse than Liverpool FC...) it makes no sense to say it's racist because many of the people who died were non-White.

I agree people dying in wealthy, peaceful countries is treated as being much more severe, but this is largely due to how much more shocking it is when it happens here. A parallel example is how much more shocking the war crimes of the Nazis were than the Japanese during WW2. Germany was one of the most developed countries in the world at the time, whereas Japan wasn't.

Heck why did Islamic State take such pride in Jihadi John? It was because he was a product of the West, rather than someone they found in a refugee camp somewhere
Reply 19
Original post by The Rad Army
Even though I agree the premier league is really sentimental (and it doesn't get worse than Liverpool FC...) it makes no sense to say it's racist because many of the people who died were non-White.

I agree people dying in wealthy, peaceful countries is treated as being much more severe, but this is largely due to how much more shocking it is when it happens here. A parallel example is how much more shocking the war crimes of the Nazis were than the Japanese during WW2. Germany was one of the most developed countries in the world at the time, whereas Japan wasn't.

Heck why did Islamic State take such pride in Jihadi John? It was because he was a product of the West, rather than someone they found in a refugee camp somewhere

I'm not saying that. Read above.

I agree with everything you've said. That's what I've been trying to say. Somebody was saying we should play Le Marseillaise for every disaster if we feel so strongly, but not every disaster happens in the West and so close to home.

Quick Reply

Latest