The Student Room Group

Ideas to go travelling with little money and to meet new people

I'm 19 and finished year 13 in summer 2015 and I really want to go travelling for a short time, even just for a week or two. Does anyone know how it might be possible to go travelling for a little amount of money? and what is the best way to go travelling if you have no one to travel with? - unless anyone here wants to come travelling with me from east England lol, I don't have a travel buddy and it's really annoying and quite lonely to be honest - friends are either working all the time or now at uni and to be honest, they weren't the nicest friends in the world anyway! Does anyone know of any travel groups going from the UK which are cheap and only for a week or two, that only have people around the age 19? I can't spend a long time away, even though I would love to and I'd want to travel with people who are actually around my age, not like 30 year olds. I know there are the options for getting a train pass to go around Europe but again, I guess that would mean I would have to start alone and to be honest I would find that quite nerve-wrecking, especially with all the crime going on these days! Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get away for a bit with some new people? Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
www.workingholiday.org.uk

Best way in my experience.
Reply 2
how much is a little amount?
Reply 3
Original post by scotttb
how much is a little amount?

Nothing more than £500 if possible
£500 for a few weeks is a lot depending on where you would like to go. Have you thought about Couchsurfing your way around Europe or a country like Spain? You will need money for food and travel but accommodation will be free.
Reply 5
I'm in a similar boat myself.

Just finished A Levels in June and i really want to go traveling but my friends are all at uni/ college so lack the funds.

I was considering something like Camp America but i seriously think that some of these gap year companies are a bit of a con and i think it works out cheaper to organize a trip yourself. I just don't know WHERE i want to go yet ahaha...
Reply 6
Original post by sos_
I'm in a similar boat myself.

Just finished A Levels in June and i really want to go traveling but my friends are all at uni/ college so lack the funds.

I was considering something like Camp America but i seriously think that some of these gap year companies are a bit of a con and i think it works out cheaper to organize a trip yourself. I just don't know WHERE i want to go yet ahaha...

I'd love to do AmeriCamp or Camp America, apparently AmeriCamp is cheaper but you have to sort flights out yourself which I'd be terrible at xD and again it would involve travelling by myself xD
Camp America is harder to be placed at but they seem more reassuring because of that, just fyi :smile: and you can travel round America for up to 30 days after :smile:
Reply 7
https://www.topdeck.travel

Friend of mine did a couple of trips with them and met lots of great people. if the trip doesn't start from the UK, Megabus is a cheap way to get to the starting point.

have a great summer
Hi,

Have you considered crowdfunding your trip? Members of your family, friends and followers (if you have any) could help you financially from anywhere boosting your budget :smile:

I would recommend fundmygo.com

Let me know how that goes and best of luck!

Jack
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by EvaSCM
I'd love to do AmeriCamp or Camp America, apparently AmeriCamp is cheaper but you have to sort flights out yourself which I'd be terrible at xD and again it would involve travelling by myself xD
Camp America is harder to be placed at but they seem more reassuring because of that, just fyi :smile: and you can travel round America for up to 30 days after :smile:

Hey there!

At Camp America we provide the full package; arranging your flights for you to ensure your adventure in the USA is as hassle free as possible! So if you don't feel comfortable arranging flights yourself - don't worry about it! Glad to know we're reassuring, thanks Eva! Let me know if you have any questions regarding the programme and I will be more than happy to assist you - Sophie.

Quick Reply