The Student Room Group

University students dressed up as 'ethnic minorities' for a social night out

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gundog48
Your racism is not welcome on TSR.

Original post by Danny McCoyne

Excellent counterpoint. But I didn't say it's 'reverse racism', there's no such thing, racism is racism.
Original post by Danny McCoyne
Nice try but people of colour cannot be racist lest we forget we neither have privilege nor power.

You're not a victim mate, get a grip.
Original post by gundog48
Excellent counterpoint. But I didn't say it's 'reverse racism', there's no such thing, racism is racism.

Don't bother, they make up words and change the meaning of said words to suit there own agenda.

SJW's are delusional people that should stop breathing my precious oxygen.
Reply 84
There's too many people trying to stifle freedom of expression these days, especially on university campuses. Quite frankly I think the students should tell the student unions to get lost. And no I'm not right-wing or a racist or a misogynist or a homophobe or a transphobe.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by johnny b
. Quite frankly I think the students should tell the student unions to get lost. .

I think that you may have missed the point.

the union have taken action due to complaints.

The UNIVERSITY have taken action due to complaints from the students, the town, national press and the local council.
The students have been punished but not removed t=from the uni, although it was an option.
It is permanently on their record.

If you did this as an employee of a major company, you could be sacked for gross misconduct.
Original post by domonict

The UNIVERSITY have taken action due to complaints from the students, the town, national press and the local council.
The students have been punished but not removed t=from the uni, although it was an option.
It is permanently on their record.

If you did this as an employee of a major company, you could be sacked for gross misconduct.

According to the link in the OP the complaints came only from students. It is not gross misconduct to go on a fancy dress pub crawl in your free time.
Reply 87

Then maybe the students and others who made the complaints should stop and think about the implications for freedom of expression.

This is part of a wider trend in university culture (and maybe in society as a whole) to be intolerant of "politically incorrect" opinions and forms of expression. Hence the "no platform" policies that many student unions have. The people who are "no platformed" are not necessarily outright bigots or whatever. They're often people who happen to have an opinion that a group of students have decided they feel "threatened" by. This intolerance towards the "wrong" opinions can be formal or informal. An example of informal intolerance is the way a 19-year-old student was recently ostracised and trolled (and even called a rapist) to the extent that he felt forced not to attend 8 lectures, all because he wrote that he viewed "consent classes" as patronising.
When a society proclaims to represent the student body

ie "the university of middle England drama society" and then cause complaints, whether from the student body or other people, the university will act.

If a bunch of shop workers booked a restaurant in the company name, and trashed it, the company would take action.

The local media have been complaining about the actions of the students .
The neighbourhood relations team have been working improve relations with the town and the council have raised the issue. This does not do the university any good or wise.

Many people found the actions offensive
Some people see fancy dress as a harmless way of having fun. Fancy dress works by referencing stereotypes.
(edited 8 years ago)
Big deal!! I am dressed up as an ethnic minority 24/7 O.O
Reply 91
Many people found the actions offensive
What about the right to be offensive?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending