The Student Room Group

How do you make small talk in uni social situations?

Specifically with girls. Not necessarily to induce romantic attraction, but just to become friends. For me it's always the same. I'll ask her name, she'll ask mine. I'll ask where she's from/how long she's been in London (my uni is very international), she'll ask me the same thing. I'll ask which course she's doing, she'll ask me the same. Enter awkward silence.
This whole "convo" is over in a minute or so. I might just have moderate Asperger's.
Anyway, can you share some of your go to convo starters appropriate in these kinds of situations? Like if I'm going to pre drinks with my friends and I start a convo with someone who's there.
It's not like it's a first date where you can just ask what kind of music she's into randomly without it being weird, right? Or is that my Asperger's talking?

PS I'm asking about girls cause guys tend to make it easier and expand their answers and girls expect you to lead the convo every step of the way.
ask her if she plays runescape.
Eurgh. I despise small talk.
Reply 3
Original post by TunaTunnel
ask her if she plays runescape.

That's the best one after "You hear about Pluto?"
Just gotta chat **** tbh , in your head thats how it'll sound but to her (Or whoever you are talking to) it'll probably just seem like you are being polite and making conversation. You'll be able to tell if they are bored with what you're saying, so just make conversation about anything (the place you're at, what you did last night, stupid things your friends have done) and read the person you're talking to to see if they are enjoying the conversation, or are just getting bored :smile:
Original post by monk1324
Specifically with girls. Not necessarily to induce romantic attraction, but just to become friends. For me it's always the same. I'll ask her name, she'll ask mine. I'll ask where she's from/how long she's been in London (my uni is very international), she'll ask me the same thing. I'll ask which course she's doing, she'll ask me the same. Enter awkward silence.
This whole "convo" is over in a minute or so. I might just have moderate Asperger's.
Anyway, can you share some of your go to convo starters appropriate in these kinds of situations? Like if I'm going to pre drinks with my friends and I start a convo with someone who's there.
It's not like it's a first date where you can just ask what kind of music she's into randomly without it being weird, right? Or is that my Asperger's talking?

PS I'm asking about girls cause guys tend to make it easier and expand their answers and girls expect you to lead the convo every step of the way.

You could ask her how she's finding her course then move the conversation on from there? :h: Or ask her how she's finding London so far, if she's been to x tourist attraction yet. Or ask her about her hometown. Either way you've got to show some kind of interest in her, otherwise it's just like an interview and the conversation falls flat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending