The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I don't care really. Any European country that wants to peacefully co-operate with other European countries should be allowed membership.

But no, Croats would come to Britain and take our jobs, just like the Polish have. :rolleyes: :wink:
If therer are sutiable countries to join the EU who want to join then there is no reason why the should not join.

I support Croatia joining and beleive they will be a good addition, hopefully a start to the former Yugoslavia area becoming much more stable for the whole future.
I agree with RK. There's no reasonable objection if they fulfil the EU's requirements.
Reply 4
Ditto.
Reply 5
They're probably the best non-member in eastern/south Europe. If anyone deserves to join, it's Croatia (it deserves to be in far more than Bulgaria or Romania).
Reply 6
Bismarck
They're probably the best non-member in eastern/south Europe. If anyone deserves to join, it's Croatia (it deserves to be in far more than Bulgaria or Romania).

They deserve to be in the EU far more than Bulgaria and Romania Because of their economy/political rights and etc, or because of their ethnic/religious make-up and history which is much more alike to the rest of the EU than the Bulgarians/Romanians?
Reply 7
-1984-
They deserve to be in the EU far more than Bulgaria and Romania Because of their economy/political rights and etc, or because of their ethnic/religious make-up and history which is much more alike to the rest of the EU than the Bulgarians/Romanians?

I'd say because of its economic and political rights, though the fact that it has traditionally been considered part of the West doesn't hurt either.
Reply 8
Weren't there some pieces on BBC talking about how the accession of Bulgaria and Romania would finally connect Greece to the rest of the EU?
-1984-
Do you support it? Should they be in the EU? Should the EU enlarge further?

Yes, yes and yes. :cool:
Israeli-Accession thread is now hyah.
Bismarck
Weren't there some pieces on BBC talking about how the accession of Bulgaria and Romania would finally connect Greece to the rest of the EU?
What? Isn't it already?
Reply 12
Agent Smith
What? Isn't it already?

Dude, look at the map of Europe. :p: The only European countries Greece borders are Albania, Macedonia, and Bulgaria (and Turkey if you count it as a European country). Until Bulgaria and Romania joined a few months ago, Greece had no borders to the rest of the EU.
Reply 13
I see the term 'European' in the 'EU' to refer more to culture than geography, for this reason I have a lot of problems with the geography argument.
Reply 14
Bismarck
Dude, look at the map of Europe. :p: The only European countries Greece borders are Albania, Macedonia, and Bulgaria (and Turkey if you count it as a European country). Until Bulgaria and Romania joined a few months ago, Greece had no borders to the rest of the EU.

Talking about Macedonia, its upsetting that they, along with Croatia are still not in the EU.
Reply 15
-1984-
Talking about Macedonia, its upsetting that they, along with Croatia are still not in the EU.

Macedonia is dirt poor though. And corruption there is pretty bad. Plus there's always the chance of a civil war between the Macedonians and Albanians living there. I think it's going to be a long time before Macedonia, Albania, Bosnia, and Moldova join the EU for basic economic reasons.
Bismarck
Yeah... I keep thinking it's further West, for some reason. Even though I know perfectly well it borders Yugoslavia (silence!) and not much else in that direction.
Bismarck
Macedonia is dirt poor though. And corruption there is pretty bad. Plus there's always the chance of a civil war between the Macedonians and Albanians living there. I think it's going to be a long time before Macedonia, Albania, Bosnia, and Moldova join the EU for basic economic reasons.
The underlying question is the same with them as it is for Turkey: Whether we use EU membership as a carrot in order to entice them into making the reforms we, and the civilised world, want to see; or whether we let them in first, the better to be able to influence them and thus bring those reforms to fruition.
Bismarck
Macedonia is dirt poor though. And corruption there is pretty bad.

Italy...
Reply 19
NDGAARONDI
Italy...

Doesn't compare to much of Eastern Europe.

Latest

Trending

Trending