The Student Room Group

ucas: do overseas students fill in predicted grades ?

Hi everyone.
I 'm a french student, very busy going through ucas extra as I hope to get into a uk university next year.
I just wondered whether international students are required to fill in the "predicted grades" field of inquiry as the specifically french system of classes préparatoires is very different from anything they have over in the uk and I guess it would not mean much.
Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Your application will first be reviewd by the tutor who deals with international students and understands predicted French grades perfectly well. So the answer is yes.
Reply 2
Thanks, however the problem is that there is actually no such thing as predicted grades in our system. I don't think I should ask my teachers to make them up, or should I?
Reply 3
I had similar situation and my referee explained it in the reference that the school does not predict grades etc. It's also a good idea to email the international admissions tutor at your chosen uni and explain the situation and ask for advice.
alex13_a
Thanks, however the problem is that there is actually no such thing as predicted grades in our system. I don't think I should ask my teachers to make them up, or should I?

I studied in France, ask your teacher to make them up that's what I did. He's also supposed to write a recommendation letter.
Reply 5
I´m in the exact same situation, OP . I think I ll ask for my referee to explain it to them on his statement.
What's the big problem about teachers making predicted grades up? Isn't that what predicted grades are - your teachers' predictions? :confused: For my teachers, it's a simple process of looking at the marks a student has got over the year and guessing at a grade. That's all they are. Surely it's not difficult for your teachers to do that?
Reply 7
Everyone knows that it's only in UK that grades are predicted for UCAS, it's just a done thing. Everywhere else it's just not done. So if in your country grades are not predicted - just say so in the statement (or your teacher will say it in the reference), I do not understand why do you need to make them up. International applications are reviewed upon existing grades. Your admissions tutor will know if you just make them up, what's the point of lying?
generalebriety
What's the big problem about teachers making predicted grades up?

The problem is that teachers in France don't give a **** about you, they are not going to go through the effort of predicting what grades you'll get. Especially when the spectrum is much larger than the U.K A-E grading system (0-20 in France). The ideal would be to get a recommendation letter and a prediction from the teacher of the subject closest to the one you want to study at uni.

If that doesn't work out, like some people have suggested, just tell the unis that teachers in France don't predict grades, you'll be fine.
Reply 9
Thanks for all your answers. I will explain in my statement that the school system in France does not include predicted grades and that I hope that my existing grades will be proof enough of what I am worth.
This thread is 15 years old,