The Student Room Group

UCL postgraduate applicants 2016/17

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by egypt94
Hey everyone. I've been thinking about applying to UCL now that we can get graduate student loans and I can actually afford it!

Been looking at either Medieval and Renaissance or just plain History. Currently on 67% overall, anyone know if its worth applying with this or do they basically just look for firsts?

FYI, graduate student loans have not yet been confirmed for 2016/17.
Reply 41
Original post by ahllb
FYI, graduate student loans have not yet been confirmed for 2016/17.

They have indeed been confirmed. The Spending Review a few weeks ago confirmed that the student loans up to £10,000 will be available for 2016/17
Are most postgraduates applying to UCL looking to do a MSci (1 year course for a masters) or a PHD?

My question is: How do you get funding for it i.e £9000/year assuming that the postgraduate student finance tuition loans haven't came into effect yet?

Can someone show the proof of when they will be confirmed?
Reply 43
Original post by egypt94
They have indeed been confirmed. The Spending Review a few weeks ago confirmed that the student loans up to £10,000 will be available for 2016/17

My apologies. Was this in the Autumn Statement? I must have missed it.
Any idea when we can apply for the loan?
Reply 44
Is it too late to apply ? I am interested in Economics. At the moment I am doing a joint degree in Economics and Management at university of St Andrews. I am on track to getting a first in Economis, however just an upper 2.1 in Management. I have undertaken research internships with in the school of economics and received a mention in a published academic paper for my research in helping the authors. However my 2.1 in management is making lose confidence in my self ( especially as it perceived as quite easy subject) !! I tried really hard this term to bring it but I won't know until results are out.
Original post by ahllb
My apologies. Was this in the Autumn Statement? I must have missed it.
Any idea when we can apply for the loan?

They've only just confirmed them so I don't see the actual website and application system being up and running for some time.

We will probably be able to apply after April. Possibly even as late as May or June. Either way, it will be before the courses start.
Reply 46
Original post by PostGrad221
They've only just confirmed them so I don't see the actual website and application system being up and running for some time.

We will probably be able to apply after April. Possibly even as late as May or June. Either way, it will be before the courses start.

Nice. Thanks for letting me know.
Reply 47
Also, does anyone know approximately how long they try and get back to applicants around this time of year? I know its busy around xmas so does that mean I'd be waiting months for a reply if i apply soon?
hey guys,I'm considering applying to the MSc in Economics and Policy of Energy and the Environment as a back up if I don't get into ICL/LSE/LBS. Any one got any info about this course or economics in general at UCL?
Original post by egypt94
Hey everyone. I've been thinking about applying to UCL now that we can get graduate student loans and I can actually afford it!

Been looking at either Medieval and Renaissance or just plain History. Currently on 67% overall, anyone know if its worth applying with this or do they basically just look for firsts?

I've applied to Medieval and Renaissance Studies :smile: Currently at St Andrews finishing a degree in Mediaeval History. No idea how percentages translate I'm afraid, Scotland likes to do things differently (and I spent my third year in Oslo too which has confused conversions even more). But - I know someone who did the course two years ago, she got a first but she told me there were people on the course who had got 2:1s overall.

Regardless, it says on their admissions page they are looking for a minimum 2:1, and if you meet that requirement they'll look to other things next.

Good luck!
Original post by egypt94
Also, does anyone know approximately how long they try and get back to applicants around this time of year? I know its busy around xmas so does that mean I'd be waiting months for a reply if i apply soon?

My application was sent off 5 November but my second referee didn't send off the final reference until 17 November. Still haven't heard back.

My friend who did it before sent hers off roughly November/December and didn't hear until March - although she said there was some sort of admin issue where they lost her application and she should have heard in January.
Someone else on my course applied and got a reply 10 days after both his references were submitted (about a week ago) so who knows, maybe I'll have a reply before Christmas (both references went through on 7th December).

Anyone here applying for MSc Cognitive and Decision Sciences?
Reply 52
Got my conditional offer for MSc Economics! Anyone else joining the same course?
Original post by ahllb
Is it still worth submitting my application to UCL Philosophy? I'm afraid it's late... I have everything sorted, just need to tweak my personal statement and submit my references and pay the deposit.

It's just UCL opened their applications early October and we're nearly in December...

Thanks all

Wait, why do you think that? My program says that the deadline is the end of July. I am still contemplating if I want to apply to UCL Masters, so I haven't submitted it even 3 weeks after your message. And I didn't even think I am that late. Should I be worried (if I do decide to apply there)?
Reply 54
Original post by aipoissac
Wait, why do you think that? My program says that the deadline is the end of July. I am still contemplating if I want to apply to UCL Masters, so I haven't submitted it even 3 weeks after your message. And I didn't even think I am that late. Should I be worried (if I do decide to apply there)?

You should have plenty of time then. Applying early just takes your mind out of it and your application will likely not be assessed together with another 100 people that waited until the end. One of my lecturers told me that if you have the requirements you should be fine sending you application at any point. However, the way I see it if there is 30 places and lets say you have 15 people applying early all with a strong 2:1 (lets consider no one has any work experience or anything for the sake of the argument), you are left with 15 places at the time of the deadline. So if you have another 50 applying at that point with 35 strong 2.1's and 15 with firsts, I believe the firsts will be selected.

Also, I have just applied for Msc Industrial/Occupational and Business Psychology. My references were received on the 1st. Nothing yet. If there's anyont applying or that knows anything about the course I would appreciate some info since I couldn't manage to find anything on it.
Reply 55
Hi everyone,

I've submitted the application form for over 5 weeks, is that possible for me to receive a response before xmas?

Anyone here for Msc Machine Learning?
Original post by madnuts
Got my conditional offer for MSc Economics! Anyone else joining the same course?

Hi congratulations!
I have also received an offer for MSc Economics. But, I have not yet accepted the offer. My father is insisting on waiting for reply from LSE but i am not sure whether the wait is worth or not.
Original post by alexfrc
You should have plenty of time then. Applying early just takes your mind out of it and your application will likely not be assessed together with another 100 people that waited until the end. One of my lecturers told me that if you have the requirements you should be fine sending you application at any point. However, the way I see it if there is 30 places and lets say you have 15 people applying early all with a strong 2:1 (lets consider no one has any work experience or anything for the sake of the argument), you are left with 15 places at the time of the deadline. So if you have another 50 applying at that point with 35 strong 2.1's and 15 with firsts, I believe the firsts will be selected.

Yeah absolutely, I of course wouldn't wait till July or even anywhere near that. But still having good 6 months ahead of me I think submitting an application early January shouldn't ruin my chances that badly.
Reply 58
Original post by qfwfq
Hi everyone,

I've submitted the application form for over 5 weeks, is that possible for me to receive a response before xmas?

Anyone here for Msc Machine Learning?

I'd say you'd likely get a reponse in January. Do you mind sharing your profile ?
Original post by alexfrc
However, the way I see it if there is 30 places and lets say you have 15 people applying early all with a strong 2:1 (lets consider no one has any work experience or anything for the sake of the argument), you are left with 15 places at the time of the deadline. So if you have another 50 applying at that point with 35 strong 2.1's and 15 with firsts, I believe the firsts will be selected.

I don't think that's strictly accurate. Enough people apply to these courses that the admissions could just specify firsts if that was what they wanted. Some courses I have looked into do specify firsts, presumably for that reason. Academic prerequisites only form the part of you application that initially put you in the "2:1s and above" group. Then once you meet the formal prerequisite, the important thing is your research interests, your relevant experiences outside of your course, your work ethic, etc. By your theory someone with a first would get a place over someone with 2:1, and that is not true.

However, it may differ a bit for sciences than humanities/arts. Someone with a 1st in History is not necessarily more academically competent than someone with a 2:1 in History, whereas the equivalent in Mathematics may reflect aptitude.

Good luck with your application by the way, hope you hear back soon. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest