The Student Room Group

UCL postgraduate applicants 2016/17

Scroll to see replies

If someone can answer my question that would be great. posted a thread but probably not really needed...

Hey all,

I have realised as I am currently studying an economics masters that I never want to, in my life, go onto a phd in economics. Not to mention that I have nowhere near the mathematical ability. I have always been interested in political science/public policy and have done some extensive reading on political theory, immigration, governance and many others. However I have never studied any political theory topics in my bachelors or masters.

I really do think my passion lies in public policy though and I am considering applying for the course at UCL. What do you think the likelihood of getting into a program like that with the degrees I have (mentioned below)? Does the advanced level quantitative and econometrics increase of my chances in any way?

Past Degrees:
Heriot-Watt: MA Economics-2.1
VU University, Amsterdam: Msc Economics, Average 7.0 (Dutch qualification)

Thesis Title: How do the effects of fiscal policy vary over the business cycle?

Work Experience:

Intern: Three months at top economic consultancy

Thanks in advance guys!
Reply 81
Hi guys may I ask does a first class honours degree student in accounting and finance but from lower ranking university have opportunities to be offered a place in any business related majors of UCL? Quite worried about the ranking influence.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by Gray Strawberries
If someone can answer my question that would be great. posted a thread but probably not really needed...

Hey all,

I have realised as I am currently studying an economics masters that I never want to, in my life, go onto a phd in economics. Not to mention that I have nowhere near the mathematical ability. I have always been interested in political science/public policy and have done some extensive reading on political theory, immigration, governance and many others. However I have never studied any political theory topics in my bachelors or masters.

I really do think my passion lies in public policy though and I am considering applying for the course at UCL. What do you think the likelihood of getting into a program like that with the degrees I have (mentioned below)? Does the advanced level quantitative and econometrics increase of my chances in any way?

Past Degrees:
Heriot-Watt: MA Economics-2.1
VU University, Amsterdam: Msc Economics, Average 7.0 (Dutch qualification)

Thesis Title: How do the effects of fiscal policy vary over the business cycle?

Work Experience:

Intern: Three months at top economic consultancy

Thanks in advance guys!

Dutch bare minimum for BSc is 7.5. Unless youve got a really high 2.1 it will be difficult probably. So dont get overly excited but its always worth a try i guess.

got my offer yesterday😁 my other application, same department, is still pending though.
Reply 83
Are requests for deferred entry likely to be approved? And what happens if the request is declined? Is the old offer still standing then?
Reply 84
Original post by ggggg123
My uni wouldn't even be top 200 and I got an offer :smile:

200 within UK or all over the world? My uni ranks low in 70+ in UK....T_ T

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
My uni wouldn't even be top 200 and I got an offer :smile:

Would you mind disclosing your academic profile, and for what masters course you got the offer for? :smile:
Reply 86
I have a first from a uni outside the UK, and have been working full time in a relevant job for about a year. MSc in International Public Policy :smile:

Congrats !

don't mind but this course is not so competitive as compared to other computer science and management MSc courses
Reply 87
Lol I never said it was, I was just asked to share my academic profile. I got an offer a week after submitting my application so I'm pretty stoked.

awesome. 1 week is record!
So i'm on Portico and my application status reads:

Application under assessment
Your references have been received and your application has been initially assessed.
We may need to contact you by email if we require further information about your application.
You should receive a response approximately six weeks after the application and you had provided all required documents.

Anyone know whether i can expect a 6 week wait or does it really just depend on each individual program?
Ugh... hate the waiting game and it hasn't been long haha. Sent in my application two days ago. My professor and current manager were nice enough to send my reference in between the space of yesterday and this morning. Got this:

We are pleased to be able to inform you that both of your references have been submitted for your application to UCL. These will be attached to your application then forwarded to the relevant selector for consideration. Please note that it may take up to 12 hours for this to be reflected in the applicant portal.
Oh, I wanted to ask also, any postgrads currently living in London who are moving to student accom anyway? Was just curious like say if you live on the outskirts.

All the best to you all.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Unientry2012
Ugh... hate the waiting game and it hasn't been long haha. Sent in my application two days ago. My professor and current manager were nice enough to send my reference in between the space of yesterday and this morning. Got this:

We are pleased to be able to inform you that both of your references have been submitted for your application to UCL. These will be attached to your application then forwarded to the relevant selector for consideration. Please note that it may take up to 12 hours for this to be reflected in the applicant portal.

Mine has just changed to 'Currently being processed by Admissions' and now i feel sick. Called and admissions said the final decision should show on my profile by tomorrow.

One of my references took almost 2 months! Then by the time it was in, it was the end of term, hence why i'm only just hearing back now after applying in early November. That said, it all seems to be happening pretty fast now so i wouldn't freak out too much :smile:
Reply 92
Original post by emilyaoife
Mine has just changed to 'Currently being processed by Admissions' and now i feel sick. Called and admissions said the final decision should show on my profile by tomorrow.

One of my references took almost 2 months! Then by the time it was in, it was the end of term, hence why i'm only just hearing back now after applying in early November. That said, it all seems to be happening pretty fast now so i wouldn't freak out too much :smile:

Check portico after midnight UK time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Unientry2012
Oh, I wanted to ask also, any postgrads currently living in London who are moving to student accom anyway? Was just curious like say if you live on the outskirts.

All the best to you all.

as long as you live close to the central line even in the outskirts the commute to UCL shouldn't take long at all. However it's an absolute nightmare to travel into and out of central London when people would be going to/leaving work so unless you actually live in greater London i'd probably go for accommodation closer to UCL.

Hackney/Tower hamlets etc. may also be good options for cheap accommodation and easier (than from places further out) travel to uni.
Original post by emilyaoife

Yeah, with something as important as this I did chase up on it a bit. Makes the experience less worrying ha. Let me know how you get on though.
Original post by Oilfreak1
as long as you live close to the central line even in the outskirts the commute to UCL shouldn't take long at all. However it's an absolute nightmare to travel into and out of central London when people would be going to/leaving work so unless you actually live in greater London i'd probably go for accommodation closer to UCL.

Hackney/Tower hamlets etc. may also be good options for cheap accommodation and easier (than from places further out) travel to uni.

Good point, yes I may have to consider as the underground is crazy busy rush hour periods and I cannot be asked.

Thanks!
has anyone else received an offer for Legal and Political Theory?
Original post by Ben Hunt
has anyone else received an offer for Legal and Political Theory?

Yup, I have.
Reply 98
I've applied for the MSc in neuroscience. My application was received on the 3rd of Dec, still haven't heard anything. Anyone else applied for this course?
Original post by bh83
check portico after midnight uk time

posted from tsr mobile

i got in!!!! Oh my god i got an offer!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending