The Student Room Group

Oxford History Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by antisansculotte
Isn't it a touch premature to be embodying the stereotypes of our colleges? :colone:

Yes probably, rather hard not to though :wink:
Reply 21
Original post by aggy98
Joint schools: Ancient and modern history
College: Keble

GCSE results: 6 A*'s, 4 A's and a B.

AS Subjects: History, Chemistry, Psychology, English literature
AS Results: ABBB
A2 Predicted: A*AA with A* in the epq ( apparently!?)
Personal statement areas of interest: tge tudors, war of the roses, how history influences identity and responsibility for the holocaust.
How did the HAT go: started very well, dont want to mention the last question lol.
HAT Question 2 topic: Nazi Germany 1933-45.
Subject of written work: Why the liberals lost the 1874 election.

Town where you live: Rotherham...

What's the topic of your EPQ?
Original post by drumsticks
Croeso!

How was the economics question on the HAT?

Da iawn! Fellow welshie or? And it was fine until the last 2 parts of the question then it fell apart, oh well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had extenuating circumstances in my first year of sixth form! (Had to resit the year overall gained ABCU not what I wanted) hopefully they don't hold it against us!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Joint schools: History & Politics
College: Teddy Hall
GCSE results: 9 A*s, 3 As, 3 Bs
AS subjects: English lit (dropped), History, Govt.&Politics, Classical Civilisation
AS results: AAAA (plus an A for Modern Greek but done out of school)
A2 predicted: A*A*A
Personal statement/areas of interest: mentioned reading of Lenin's biography, political history, European history, comparison between Wall Street Crash and Greek financial crash, working at City Hall, volunteering for local party during 2010/2015 elections, mock election at school
How did the HAT go: the more I think about it the less positive I am
HAT question 2 topic: Conservative governments 1951-1964
Subject of written work:contribution of Labour disunity to Conservative win in 1951 (reused some ideas from this in my HAT and brought in some new ones)
Town where you live: Harrow, London
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by millieellen
Da iawn! Fellow welshie or? And it was fine until the last 2 parts of the question then it fell apart, oh well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I'm afraid, but I've got family in Llanelli, so driven over the Severn enough times to pick up a bit of the lingo! :P

Ah that's a pain, I didn't really enjoy the last question either, but found the own knowledge part strangely satisfying.
Reply 26
Joint schools: None
College: Christ Church

GCSE results: Not applicable, I'm french

AS subjects: History, Geography, Philosophy, German, French, English literature, Greek, Latin
AS results: I'm not sure how to respond, I gratuated with 18,6/20 for the French Baccalaureate
A2 predicted: Graduated in 2014, CPGE student :biggrin:

Personal statement/areas of interest: The nation-building with the Dutch Monarchy, the influence of the Enlightenment on the French Revolution and the 1920s in Europe. Volunteering at previews and bookstores, involved with a humanitarian organisation.
How did the HAT go: Urgh..I have no idea at this point, I've done better.
HAT question 2 topic: The French aristocracy during the Ancient Regime
Subject of written work: The 1920s in Europe, forgetting and remembering

Town where you live: Lyon!
Original post by Jaeolin
College: Christ Church

GCSE results: Not applicable, I'm french

AS subjects: History, Geography, Philosophy, German, French, English literature, Greek, Latin
AS results: I'm not sure how to respond, I gratuated with 18,6/20 for the French Baccalaureate
A2 predicted: Graduated in 2014, CPGE student :biggrin:

Personal statement/areas of interest: The nation-building with the Dutch Monarchy, the influence of the Enlightenment on the French Revolution and the 1920s in Europe. Volunteering at previews and bookstores, involved with a humanitarian organisation.
How did the HAT go: Urgh..I have no idea at this point, I've done better.
HAT question 2 topic: The French aristocracy during the Ancient Regime
Subject of written work: The 1920s in Europe, forgetting and remembering

Looks like we wrote our question 2 on exactly the same topic! How scary!
Reply 28
Original post by Jaeolin

Awesome! Absolutely love Lyon and France in general, I stayed there for a weekend close to Bastille Day and it was absolutely beautiful.
Reply 29
Original post by antisansculotte
Looks like we wrote our question 2 on exactly the same topic! How scary!

Haha, yeah! And I actually thought I had been original about this...What were your arguments?
Joint schools: History and Politics
College: Magdalen
GCSE results: 3A*s, 10As
AS subjects: Government & Politics, History, English Literature & Maths
AS results: AABC
A2 results: A*A*A predictions and A* in EPQ
Personal statement/areas of interest: German history, Central Asia and the Transcaucasus, political ideologies (particularly secularism and nihilism), international law and diplomacy, historiography and what constitutes history, and political innovation
How did the HAT go: Honestly have no idea :colondollar:
HAT question 2 topic: Nazi Germany
Subject of written work: What was the short-term significance of the Cuban Missile Crisis?
Original post by magic_is_might
Joint schools: History & Politics
College: Brasenose (why do u have to be so popular!!!)
GCSE results: 9 A*s, 3 As, 3 Bs
AS subjects:colone:nglish lit (dropped), History, Govt.&Politics, Classical Civilisation
AS results:AAAA
A2 predicted:A*A*A
Personal statement/areas of interest: mentioned reading of Lenin's biography, political history, European history, comparison between Wall Street Crash and Greek financial crash, working at City Hall, volunteering for local party during 2010/2015 elections, mock election at school
How did the HAT go:the more I think about it the less positive I am
HAT question 2 topic:Conservative governments 1951-1964
Subject of written work:contribution of Labour disunity to Conservative win in 1951 (reused some ideas in my HAT and brought in some new ones)

Same town as me (I'm more Ruislip area though!) :tongue:
Joint schools: none
College: Oriel

GCSE results: 8A*s and 3As

AS subjects: History (no way omg 😉 ), English lit, Economics, French (big mistake)
AS results: AAAC
A2 predicted: A*A*A and A* in EPQ

Personal statement/areas of interest: I talked a lot about worldwide history as I used to live in hong kong
How did the HAT go: I have no idea! Liked question 3 though
HAT question 2 topic: Lenin and the Bolsheviks in Russia
Subject of written work: King Alfred the Great

This forum will hopefully keep us occupied as we endure the hellish wait !
Question: what is an EPQ? Never heard of it before and no one in my school has done one 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Question: what is an EPQ? Never heard of it before and no one in my school has done one 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's an Extended Project Qualification. You choose a topic and basically write a mini-dissertation on it. You're marked for the quality of your research etc. (dw I hadn't heard of it until I started it in July haha)

Some universities (not Oxford but places like Southampton, Sheffield etc.) lower their entry requirements provided you get a certain grade in your EPQ. It's seen as the equivalent of an AS subject.
Original post by Jaeolin
Haha, yeah! And I actually thought I had been original about this...What were your arguments?

I think I wrote quite an odd essay which mainly focused on how the sale of venal ennobling offices allowed the nobility to survive its centralisation at Versailles by Louis XIV. What about you?
College: Brasenose (lol)

GCSE results: 10A*
AS subjects: History, Spanish, Latin, Chemistry
AS results: AAAB
A2 predicted: A*A*A*A + A in EPQ

Personal statement/areas of interest: US history ('discovery' of the Americas/manipulation of history), the importance of history from below + just general social history
How did the HAT go: the more i think about it, the worse i think it went
HAT question 2 topic: tsarist autocracy in 1905
Subject of written work: Effectiveness of Edward VI and Mary I's governments

Town where you live: Bristol
What day do you guys think they'll start sending them out? I'm thinking from like Wednesday onwards

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
What day do you guys think they'll start sending them out? I'm thinking from like Wednesday onwards

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same ive got a strange feeling ill hear back on wednesday

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Joint schools: History and Economics
College: Balliol

I'm an international student from Australia and so don't have GCSEs or A levels! If there are any other Aussies on this thread, I'm predicted an ATAR of 99.3, but finals have been a bit strange so I'm not too sure if I'll manage to achieve my predicted... I took modern history, economics, english literature, maths, further maths and music.

Personal statement/areas of interest: Russian history, particularly Lenin and Stalin. Also studied Australian history. Economics-wise, fiscal policy is probably my biggest interest at the moment! Talked about ideology and historiography in my PS as well as free market economies, only had 2 books (Fitzpatrick as well as Service on Russia)
How did the HAT go: I thought it was good when I walked out but am not so sure now, it's hard to tell...
HAT question 2 topic: Didn't do q2 and did the HECO question instead
Subject of written work: Extent of change inflicted on Russia by the implementation of Stalinism

Town where you live: Perth, Australia
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending