The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Do you have a part-time job?
Yes

Why? - Need the money? Like extra spending money?
Yeah and yeah. Experience, decent place to work, excellent pay!, related to what my career plans are.

How Many Hours?
12 - 16 a week, full time during holidays

Where?
Departure Lounge, South Terminal, Gatwick

When applying to uni, do you think having a part-time job is beneficial.
Don't know - not going! :biggrin:

Do you get/did you get EMA?
Just of age to get it and no I don't qualify!
Reply 21
Do you have a part-time job? yes
Why? - Need the money, I pay for all my own things, I pay a very little house keeping though, I have paid for month long trips to the states for a few years(didnt hav a social life to pay for @ the time)
now more social, need money for that, Last year I paid for all my own food as I started my diet/healthier eating plan, Im not more relaxed with this.

How Many Hours?
10 a week recently, i used to be alot more, passed 20, Im not looking to do 18 in the next few weeks or so
Where?
Do you get/did you get EMA?nope

yes I think it teaches people to be resposable with money, even though determental to grades in some cases.
Reply 22
Do you have a part-time job? Yes
Why? - I own my own house and dont get any contribution from my parents, so obviously, I have to work

How Many Hours? 10 per week
Where? Local charity, not going to say where though because of confidentiality

Do you get/did you get EMA? No, I left college before it was available

Yes of course it is, and also for when you graduate- the more experience you have the better IMO.
Yes I do have a part time job.

How many hours?
Work 20 hours a week, mostly on Fridays and Saturdays (days and evenings... sigh...)

Why?
Because I have rent to pay, and my student loan goes on course fees.

Where
It's at a local cafe/restaurant

Is it beneficial
Yeah a bit, but not massively.
The Colonel
Without wishing to pick on you is the whole point of ema not that your parents cant afford to help you out? :p:

You will have to ask the person who dreamed it up what the point of it is, because everyone seems to have a slightly different opinion.

However the system used to determine who recievs EMA is stupid, and puts thousands of families all in very different circumstances into the same catagory. Theres a huge difference for example between a family earning £8000 a year and one earing £28000 a year- and yet both families would be entitled to EMA.

At the same time there are richer families who wouldnt contribute to their childrens education atall, and poorer families who would go out of their way to support their kids.

Basically what im saying is just because your on EMA doesnt mean you cant afford to eat and your parents cant spare £5 occassionally to help out their kids. :rolleyes:
Reply 25
Hi, I have a part-time job. In response to above I work a contracted 4 hours but work between 6-8 hours a week. The extra money is great as i'm saving for uni and a car. I work at Matalan, which pays £4.54 for under 19's (as i am still under 19). No sadly i can't claim EMA, but if i did it would mean i wouldn't have to work, but it gives me an idea of the real world outside 6th form life, which some who claim EMA don't have a clue about.
Reply 26
Yes, I have a job, 4 in fact (never applied for a single one, I am quite proud of that actually).
How many hours, well the other week I did 40 hours at the pool, and that is cutting back on holiday shifts for revision.
Do I get EMA? No, parents earn too much bloody money (I know, selfish, isn't it?)
Is it beneficial when applying for uni?
Definately, it shows that you have the commitment required to hold down a job (and so, logically, a course), it might show that you have experienced a degree of responsibility, it most likely shows that you have the ability to go out and actually make something happen, and, most importantly, it shows that you are less likely to drop out due to financial reasons, as you have some form of income/experience.

And, as and added note: Yes, I love my jobs, all of them. And here's why:
Waiter: I like interacting with the customers, the verbal duels that happen in the kitchen, and the general b**ching about the bar manager.
Lifeguard: I like coming home and feeling that I have actually done something remotely worthwile, I like that I am looked to for questions and reference to rules, but mostly, I like shouting at the children and foreigners who mess about (I'm sorry but it is always one of them)
Recce (general helper/cleaner at leisure center): It is quite hard, manual work, and I quite like coming home and actually being physically tired.
I do not see any point in continuing in a job that you are unhappy in.
Reply 27
Yeah, I do.

Why? - Train fares are ridiculously overpriced
How Many Hours? 7 a week. Lol.
Where? Tesco. Sitting at a checkout. Getting annoyed at customers.
Do you get/did you get EMA? Yeah I do, £20 a week, but it still doesn't cover train fares.
Beneficial to University? If you don't need a part time job, I wouldn't go for one. Especially if it interferes with studying
Those of you who do

of course i need the money! i have a part time job because i want to make the most of my gap year, rather than spend the whole thing cooped up in an office.

How Many Hours?
i work 20 hours a week, four hours a day monday to friday, but its flexi.

Where?
i got my job through my agency, brook street. i work for a housing support charity called homekey and i do their admin work while their usual admin worker is covering for a housing support worker during illness. i'll be here for six months total, started january 8th, finish on june 29th.

never did. our household income was "too high".

To everyone?

i think having had a job, and therefore having honed some skills and talents which will help you cope with uni work is always beneficial.
any kind of widening your horizons is always looked upon well.

i think it's worth mentioning, though, that i didn't work during my a levels. honestly i believe it's more worth getting the great grades you're more likely to get if you DON'T stress yourself out more with work than being able to say "i worked 15 hours a week at mcdonalds". the grades will be respected more than the job.
HOWEVER, of course many people need to work in order to pay their way through sixthform/college and their teenage social life. i do not ADVOCATE working during your a levels, but neither do i think it's the stupidest idea anyone's ever had.
Reply 29
Why?

Need the money.

How Many Hours?

I work 10 hours a week at the moment. Next year I'll be free on weekends and so will work 20-25 a week hopefully.

Where?

Cleaner of college.

Yes I get £30 EMA.

I'm looking for a full time job (probably shop) for the six weeks' holidays. Does anyone have any good recommendations?
Do you have a part-time job?
Yes

I badly need the money. In my "gap" year, between A-Levels and Hair School, I worked full time, on quite a good wage, as a result, I paid my parents some money for lodge and stuff. The agreement with them was, if I was to go back to education, I would've have to continue to work and pay them that money. Unfortunately, I was made redundant, and to date, have not found a job that pays that much with that many hours that I can do. (I was the only one in my company to do my job, so I was allowed to basically do what I want. :wink: )

Now the money pays for; Lodge, car stuff, food at college, social life etc. I don't get any money off anyone else.

How Many Hours?
16, usually at the weekend in two shifts. I get more when people are on holidays etc.

Where?

Texaco.

I personally won't be going to uni, but I think that work can be good. I have friends who have worked, and they are far more responsible and "grown up" than those who don't. I feel my year in full time employment made me a lot more mature than those still in education.

It only came into force around here as I turned 18.
Reply 31
Those of you who do

Why? I'm at uni. Food doesn't just buy itself,and i don't want to go into my overdraft. I love my work too.
How Many Hours? only contracted for 3 a week, term time only. But its sometimes more, sometimes less.
Where? Supporting disabled students at a university. (near the one i'm at). I don't do may hours but the pays good. (£10 / hr).
Do you get/did you get EMA? I did. I got £30 a week, which enabled me to get the bus to college, eat, and basically live as my parents couldnt afford to give me money. It meant i didn't have to get a job through A-Levels too.

To everyone?

No - i personaly don't think its of any benefit al all as to whether the uni will accept or reject you. Its grades they're bothered about there. However, i would say having a job before uni is definately beneficial when you get to uni in need of a job. No previous experience means its hard to get a part-time job while at uni, as theres always millions of other uni students with the previous work experience that jobs are after.
Do you have a part-time job? Yes

Why? - I need the money (parents don't give me anything beyond dinner money, food on the table and presents for Christmas and birthdays)
How Many Hours? Previously 9-5 Saturday shift at a coffee shop, but this week I'm changing jobs to Tescos and am contracted to work 20 hours over a weekend. This will probably go up if I choose to accept more shifts or overtime.
Where? Tescos Deli Counter
Do you get/did you get EMA? Nope.

When applying to uni, do you think having a part-time job is beneficial? Yes. Shows people skills etc etc. On a personal level, I don't mind the work-study-play balance. I'm pretty lazy at studying so don't cram until the end. I'm not the sort to be working all night or over the weekend. I tend to be able to fit in bits of study round my life and having a part-time job has definitely not been to the detriment of my grades. In fact it's only been a good thing - I met one of my closest mates at work. And earning money independently as well as having the responsibility of holding a job and working with customers has actually made me a lot more confident and content within myself, which has probably come over well at interview.
Reply 33
Why? Need the money and feel bad taking money of my parents since I'm old even to work - but they do treat me and that's always nice.

How many hours? Only 3.5 :P but its great pay and I used to work elsewhere in my first year of college for 10 hrs + pw (spread over two days)and that used to stress me out too much. And i work full time in hols

Where? Building society

Do you get EMA? Yep, £20 but I save it

Uni... part time job beneficial? Definately, makes you more appreciative of money, for me boosted my confidence and I can talk to absolutely anyone without being shy and mumbly now. Teaches time management, how to spend/save and its great to have this money to be financially independent (to an extent).

Latest

Trending

Trending