The Student Room Group

6th form interview advice

I have an Interview for a private school on Monday.
It's during the afternoon so I'll be leaving school at 11:45. They don't suggest a dress code so do I just wear my school uniform? (Which is kinda scruffy) or should I bring a smart shirt and skirt with and change?
Also my interview is for IB subjects (Maths HL Chemistry Hl Physics Hl Philosophy SL English SL and Italian (ab initio) SL - does anyone know what I might be asked?
And because I would take Italian ad initio, would I need to know any basic Italian beforehand? (In the letter is said that all language interviews would consist of a small oral test, but it's ad initio so no one is meant to know Italian yet...)
Thanks,
:smile:
Reply 1
Hello again! As for clothes, just wear what you feel comfortable in, however if you want to be safe, wear a smart shirt and skirt lie you mentioned because you never know, the interviewer could be someone who really cares about appearances. I'm guessing you'll be asked general things about maths, chemistry, physics, english and perhaps philosophy, but i'm not sure about Italian. If it says you do not need to now any italian for an ad initio, then you probably won't. You may also be asked about career aspirations, so be clear as to what you would say regarding that :smile:
Original post by kennethdcharles
Hello again! As for clothes, just wear what you feel comfortable in, however if you want to be safe, wear a smart shirt and skirt lie you mentioned because you never know, the interviewer could be someone who really cares about appearances. I'm guessing you'll be asked general things about maths, chemistry, physics, english and perhaps philosophy, but i'm not sure about Italian. If it says you do not need to now any italian for an ad initio, then you probably won't. You may also be asked about career aspirations, so be clear as to what you would say regarding that :smile:

Hey again!
I think I'll just mention wanting to be a physicist at CERN - they might not think so highly of my plans to be a teacher..... (which would be vaguely ironic) - or I'll mention both and say the teaching is a more realistic option.....
How do you answer general things about philosophy!!!
I've learnt a tiny bit of Italian like number from 1-10, greetings....
Thanks!
Reply 3
my advice is to prepare for nothing

if you have the grades they will let you in
as for each student they let it they receive £4000-£10000

if you dont have the predicted grades they will kick you out or recommend you their garbage courses
Original post by iss123
my advice is to prepare for nothing

if you have the grades they will let you in
as for each student they let it they receive £4000-£10000

if you dont have the predicted grades they will kick you out or recommend you their garbage courses

What did you mean by "As for each student they let it they receive £4000 - £10000"?
And they won't recommend me for one of their "garbage courses" because it's a private school that's in the top 10 in the country and they don't have "garbage courses" it's do well in the interview or don't go.....
Reply 5
entiM
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
Hey again!
I think I'll just mention wanting to be a physicist at CERN - they might not think so highly of my plans to be a teacher..... (which would be vaguely ironic) - or I'll mention both and say the teaching is a more realistic option.....
How do you answer general things about philosophy!!!
I've learnt a tiny bit of Italian like number from 1-10, greetings....
Thanks!

Mentioning CERN will be very impressive and will show that you have high ambitions. Make sure you sound passionate about physics as schools like students who already have a passion at 15/16. As for philosophy, the questions should be general because it's not a difficult subject. You should be able to answer them without much knowledge, it should be common sense. Good luck, and remember not to look scared :colondollar:
entiM

Mentioning CERN will be very impressive and will show that you have high ambitions. Make sure you sound passionate about physics as schools like students who already have a passion at 15/16. As for philosophy, the questions should be general because it's not a difficult subject. You should be able to answer them without much knowledge, it should be common sense. Good luck, and remember not to look scared :colondollar:

Especially girls who like physics..... (Though It doesn't make a difference because it's a single-sex school). At my current school, the physics teach is trying to "recruit" as many girls as possible to do physics. So far he's going to have about 10-15 boys and maybe 3 girls?
I'm a socially awkward (selective social anxiety) geek.... I'm totally going to not look scared.... I'll just smile and be loud(ish) and keep my feelings of wanting to run and hide under a table kept down - that will do it!
Thanks!
Also, I know we already had this discussion (I think....) but what schools are you applying for?
Reply 7
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
Especially girls who like physics..... (Though It doesn't make a difference because it's a single-sex school). At my current school, the physics teach is trying to "recruit" as many girls as possible to do physics. So far he's going to have about 10-15 boys and maybe 3 girls?
I'm a socially awkward (selective social anxiety) geek.... I'm totally going to not look scared.... I'll just smile and be loud(ish) and keep my feelings of wanting to run and hide under a table kept down - that will do it!
Thanks!
Also, I know we already had this discussion (I think....) but what schools are you applying for?

That is true because (not being sexist at all) but STEM subjects are known for not attracting as many females as males. Like I said, good luck! I'm applying to King's College London Maths School, Harris Westminster and my own school.
That is true because (not being sexist at all) but STEM subjects are known for not attracting as many females as males. Like I said, good luck! I'm applying to King's College London Maths School, Harris Westminster and my own school.

Not sexist at all -
If I don't get into this private school, I'll probably end up applying to KCL and Harris Westminster - but very last minute.... I still want to take Chemistry though so if I ended up going to KCL maths school, then I would do Chemistry externally.
@kennethdcharles I'm still not allowed to rep you!! (Otherwise I would)

Quick Reply

Latest