The Student Room Group

Housing Predicament For Next Year

Stressing out a lot about next year and was just asking for some advice. I really like my flamates this year and they're my best and pretty much only friends I have here, partially my fault as I haven't joined any societies. Well out of 8, 2 had already made plans for next year which is fair enough but I'm in a predicament with the other 5. Basically I would like to live with them but so far they haven't asked me and from over-hearing they have all already had the conversation about living together. They're all girls so I understand if they'd prefer an all girl house next year but I have no one else at all.

I'm worried if I should ask to live with them but I don't want to put them through the awkward conversation of them either having to tell me they've already made plans and don't want to live with me or that they say yes just because they feel guilty. I've also heard them saying they think 5 is a good number for housing, I guessed that was kind of a hint but would 6 be quite difficult as a group? I really want to live with them but don't want to create tension if they don't want to live with me, tbh I'm only a little annoyed that they've left me out of discussions entirely but i won't make a fuss of it.
Original post by The Monk
Stressing out a lot about next year and was just asking for some advice. I really like my flamates this year and they're my best and pretty much only friends I have here, partially my fault as I haven't joined any societies. Well out of 8, 2 had already made plans for next year which is fair enough but I'm in a predicament with the other 5. Basically I would like to live with them but so far they haven't asked me and from over-hearing they have all already had the conversation about living together. They're all girls so I understand if they'd prefer an all girl house next year but I have no one else at all.

I'm worried if I should ask to live with them but I don't want to put them through the awkward conversation of them either having to tell me they've already made plans and don't want to live with me or that they say yes just because they feel guilty. I've also heard them saying they think 5 is a good number for housing, I guessed that was kind of a hint but would 6 be quite difficult as a group? I really want to live with them but don't want to create tension if they don't want to live with me, tbh I'm only a little annoyed that they've left me out of discussions entirely but i won't make a fuss of it.

All you can do is ask. It is harder to find properties with more than 4/5 bedrooms, so the five being a good number thing might be because of this. That said, in most areas there are larger properties available, and if they know you want to live with them, I'm sure they'd consider a bigger house.

They might want to live in an all girl house, but equally, they might think that you may not want to live with a house of five girls!

I don't think it would be super awkward to ask them if you could live with them, and if they don't want to live with you for any reason (e.g. they do want an all girl house) at least you know that and can make other plans. Even if they don't want to live with you, they might know of some other people looking for housemates for next year.

That said, it's only November, and a lot can change between now and next year and there's still plenty of time to find others to live with and expand your friendship circle.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending