The Student Room Group

Online dating & meeting new people online - does it work?

Hi,

I recently wrote this article: https://outooapp.wordpress.com/2015/11/21/whatsapp-snapchat-tinder-dont-leave-relationships-in-your-inbox/

I just wanted to know what do other people think of technology and the way it effects how we meet people... does it actually work?

Has anyone else had relationships where they actually never meet the person? Is this the new norm or is it just strange?

Blog: Whatsapp, Snapchat, Tinder… Don’t leave relationships in your inbox

While Snapchat has done incredible things for both comedy & nudity it highlights how technology has changed human interaction.

Our generation has been blessed with its access to all that is Mr Jobs and equally talented entrepreneurs and dreamers. However we are losing something when people are using social media to replace traditional methods of meeting new people in person. Just because we are “together” in an online forum or group chat, doesn’t mean we are closer. Using my phone to arrange to meet a friend after college or checking Facebook to see pictures of our night out last week is fantastic, however tech has started to be used as a substitute to real life human interaction.

Meeting people online is super easy

Meeting people online has helped many of us that lack confidence

We don’t have to fear face to face rejection
We can always “leave” by not replying, unfriending or removing someone.
We don’t have to go through the pain of watching our mouth run off while our brains merely observe the damage being done.
We don’t have to endure the awkward stand off, that seems to last an eternity, over who’s going to speak first.
Some critise technology and its impact on communication altogether because of the importance of body language and tone…Cue EMOJIS! Lets face it a monkey with its hands over its eyes knocks body language out of the park!

But we shouldn’t lose touch

So it is clear that technology has made it much easier to meet people, but there are clearly pitfalls. Growing up we didn’t use technology to replace face-to-face interaction. My Nokia 3310 was cool, but it wasn’t my world. Thanks to read receipts we can’t even play it cool anymore; gone are the days of the classic “I’ll put that message on ice for 10 minutes so I don’t seem too keen.”

We have gone a step further developing online relationships with people we never meet. The spontaneity and magnetism of meeting someone face to face is undeniable. The promiscuous glance into each others eyes or the laugh where your stomach starts to hurt. That connection you have that cannot be described in any other way than as a “click”. Science will always struggle to explain it because human interaction can produce that incredible feeling that you just want to bottle and sell to everyone, that feeling you just cant get staring at a LED screen, maybe not even with 4K technology!

Technology is incredible- embrace it, use it, allow it to open up your potential. Let it empower you and help you to be ambitious and inspire you to achieve the unachievable. We have developers in Birmingham, Designers in Los Angeles, and Marketers in London. Without technology enhancing form of communication our dream would never have even been imaginable. But don’t be scared by it. Just because you can’t code, build a website or design using a computer doesn’t mean you shouldn’t use technology to help you reach your potential. Express your individuality, it doesn’t matter whether you’re blogging, tweeting or sharing just explore yourself!

When it comes to relationships allow it to enhance something that is already so special. Use it to give you the ability to meet new people, whether its swiping, following, or DMing connect in a way you never could have before. But don’t get so caught up in it so much so that you neglect those relationships by leaving them in an inbox. Who doesn’t love an episode of Catfish and constantly guessing whether this up and coming global singer really is who they say they are or actually Trevor from down the road. As Allison Piwowarski recently highlighted relationships are suffering from the new age old classic of “boy meets girl on Facebook, Girl is becoming a model, Girl doesn’t have access to a phone, boy and Girl have never met.” While entertaining the underlying message is clear; technology is allowing us to take control of our own futures, to connect in previously unimaginable ways. Use it but don’t allow it to make you lose sight of reality. You are a person, not a username or phone number. You are not JonnieTheHottie69 or LilMissGetSome, while they are extensions of your self they are not replacements.

So don’t hide away behind your phone or computer screen. Get up and Go! Go and explore your city and the people that live in it. Merge the online and the real world. Don’t be ashamed of meeting someone online or on a mobile app. Welcome to the modern world, the revolution has happened. Snap the cool place you are, Yak that hilarious conversation you just overheard on a plane. But use them to share what you are doing, don’t allow it to be all that you are doing. You have a million things on your mind and time is the most valuable commodity in the world. Technology gives you opportunities you wouldn’t otherwise have so use it.

Start that new relationships, try something new, say Hello and most importantly be proud of your modern day story, however you write it.

Outoo will be the first line in your new chapter.

Please leave some feedback on our first blog. We would love to see your opinions, hear your stories and share your visions. Thank you!!!!

Visit us at if you like our blog:
Facebook - Outoo
Instagram - @Outooapp
Pinterest - Outooapp
Google+ - Outooapp
Tumblr - OutooApp
Twitter - Outoo (@Outooapp) | Twitter #ImOutoo #BeProudOfYourModernDayStory
Wordpress Blog - Outoo App
thought advertising wasn't allowed on forums :confused:
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
thought advertising wasn't allowed on forums :confused:

How is this advertising - talking about technology and human interaction - was there a product advertised somewhere?
Short answer: no.
If you want to meet a complete loser, yes.
Wtf is outoo
Original post by Use Err Name
Wtf is outoo

The "product" I thought she was advertising
Original post by shawn_o1
The "product" I thought she was advertising

There's like nothing on it online apart from a Twitter account that has clearly bought followers.
Reply 8
sup

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending