The Student Room Group

Why does alcohol have different effect on different people?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Not particularly - in moderation it can have some health benefits. As with all things, the dose makes the poison

Posted from TSR Mobile

Respectfully, from a biological perspective you are wrong. It is a toxin that must be broken down, this ultimately inhibits and affects respiration. It also inhibits ADH which regulates water levels in the body, not to mention the other impacts on the brain, heart and liver.
Original post by Reue
It's not really comparable.

I've had Waitrose tomato and red wine sauce so I think I'm in a qualified position to make the statement cranberry juice >> alcohol.
Reply 42
Original post by Plagioclase
I've had Waitrose tomato and red wine sauce so I think I'm in a qualified position to make the statement cranberry juice >> alcohol.

Not quite a double JD & Coke after a long day in the office.
Original post by mil88
Respectfully, from a biological perspective you are wrong. It is a toxin that must be broken down, this ultimately inhibits and affects respiration. It also inhibits ADH which regulates water levels in the body, not to mention the other impacts on the brain, heart and liver.

Actually I'm not, plenty of research has been done that shows a positive effect on HDL/LDL ratio as well as a reductive effect on the instance of dementia and type 2 diabetes. It's worth stressing that these are only at moderate levels of intake (no more than a couple of units a day), but they're health benefits of moderate alcohol intake.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jenx301
Ahhh just you wait Cavy, my dear, you will see. I don't think alcohol has much of a smell.... especially not spirits. Well, when I was 17 i just went to the local corner shop and got served as they were lax on ID and I looked a bit older. Sometimes I used fake ID if I wanted to get into a club...... or got my older sister to buy it. Surely you have a friend who is 18? Don't you go to house parties?

some how i don't think that would work... i look about 14 :s-smilie:

no i don't , never have,A) i never get invited B) i wouldn't go anyway bc bad things happen there...
i exist in a sort of internal state tbh. i am very solitary outside of svhool, hence why i am here :frown:
Original post by Reue
Not quite a double JD & Coke after a long day in the office.

what's JD? whoa you have a job? cool :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by CoolCavy
what's JD? whoa you have a job? cool :smile:

Jack Daniels.

And how else would I pay for things? :s-smilie:
Original post by Reue
Jack Daniels.

And how else would I pay for things? :s-smilie:

couldn't you just have the coke on it's own?

oh so your not in school then? :s-smilie:
Reply 48
couldn't you just have the coke on it's own?

oh so your not in school then? :s-smilie:

Coke on its own isn't much fun.

And no.. I haven't been in school for a decade now :wink:
@Reue is a schoolboy pass it on.

Original post by Jenx301
I don't think alcohol has much of a smell.... especially not spirits.

Seriously? I think spirits are the ones that definitely do have a smell.
Reply 50
Original post by MrDystopia
@Reue is a schoolboy pass it on .

At least I can hold my alcohol unlike certain other members of the Support Team.... :biggrin:

Never noticed much of a smell myself but I usually drink vodka if I'm having spirits. I drink wine too, which does have a bit of a smell but it doesn't bother me.

a school boy?
yes, alcohol does smell :frown:

wow loads of purple ppl are congregating here :redface:

Original post by Reue
Coke on its own isn't much fun.

And no.. I haven't been in school for a decade now :wink:

coke with ice in is :smile:
whoa ur really old! ur like 28 then?
Reply 53

coke with ice in is :smile:
whoa ur really old! ur like 28 then?

Yes :smile:
Original post by Reue
At least I can hold my alcohol unlike certain other members of the Support Team.... :biggrin:

@James A :colone:

Original post by Jenx301
Never noticed much of a smell myself but I usually drink vodka if I'm having spirits. I drink wine too, which does have a bit of a smell but it doesn't bother me.

Depends on the type of vodka I guess. Some smell ridiculously strong and others are pretty soft on the nose. Not a fan of wine and yeah that definitely has a stink to it.

does the smell not put you off tho, it smells weird..also where i am i meant to get this hypothetical a*cohol from?

Alcohol is a bad word too? :s-smilie:
Actually I'm not, plenty of research has been done that shows a positive effect on HDL/LDL ratio as well as a reductive effect on the instance of dementia and type 2 diabetes. It's worth stressing that these are only at moderate levels of intake (no more than a couple of units a day), but they're health benefits of moderate alcohol intake.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What! type 2 diabetes and dementia?? Explain how alcohol improves these 2 please???
Original post by mil88
What! type 2 diabetes and dementia?? Explain how alcohol improves these 2 please???

For the mechanisms I'm not certain, but there's a meta analysis of studies on the relationship between alcohol consumption and type two diabetes here showing a 30% relative risk reduction of type two diabetes in moderate drinkers compared with both non-consumers and heavy drinkers: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/28/3/719.full

While this study shows a correlation between moderate alcohol consumption and a larger hippocampal volume, and as a result greater episodic memory, which would provide a guard against dementia: http://aja.sagepub.com/content/30/4/364

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the mechanisms I'm not certain, but there's a meta analysis of studies on the relationship between alcohol consumption and type two diabetes here showing a 30% relative risk reduction of type two diabetes in moderate drinkers compared with both non-consumers and heavy drinkers: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/28/3/719.full

While this study shows a correlation between moderate alcohol consumption and a larger hippocampal volume, and as a result greater episodic memory, which would provide a guard against dementia: http://aja.sagepub.com/content/30/4/364

Posted from TSR Mobile

How can you be certain that all this is directly caused by alcohol? Causation and correlation are very different my friend.
Original post by mil88
How can you be certain that all this is directly caused by alcohol? Causation and correlation are very different my friend.

Because the results of papers are adjusted for other confounding variables such as lifestyle, genetic disposition, gender etc. and these effects still show up after accounting for such factors.

Quick Reply

Latest