The Student Room Group

Jamie Vardy - on the way to world class?

Scroll to see replies

No English player is world class
Reply 21
Original post by IamJacksContempt
No English player is world class

But Wayne Rooney scored against San Marino, so...
Reply 22
If he was world class he wouldn't have needed to score for 10 games in a row before anyone asked whether he was world class.

Edit oh ,on the way to world class?

Well,the poster who pointed out he's 29 has already answered that surely?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 23
Age doesn't really matter. Sometimes a player - having played at a lower level early on in his career - simply has more miles on the clock when they get to 29/30. Other players, who maybe make their debut at 16 and rely on blistering pace or brilliant technique (Walcott, Rooney, Owen etc.) sometimes suffer injuries because they've been exposed to too much football too early.
Chelsea going to make a bid in jan according to the papers...suspect but if so...is that to actually to put him in the 1st team, or stick him on the bench so they don't have to worry about Leicester having him..
He won't score against Utd.

Quote me lads.
Original post by moggis
If he was world class he wouldn't have needed to score for 10 games in a row before anyone asked whether he was world class.

Edit oh ,on the way to world class?

Well,the poster who pointed out he's 29 has already answered that surely?

Strikers are judged on goals, so if he starts scoring goals, people are going to make the world class comparisons.

Antonio di Natale didn't become world class until he was in his thirties, so the age argument is nonsense.
Original post by mackemforever
He isn't world class and he will never be world class.

Obviously he's a good player, he's got great pace, is tidy with the ball at his feet and is a good finisher, but there's a big gap between good and great, and he doesn't cross that gap.

He's extremely lucky that he's playing in a system that suits him perfectly, a system where they are constantly looking for the ball that will allow him to stretch his legs to get behind his defender, and he is the focal point for the entire team.

Put him in a different club, where he'll have to play in a different way, and he's just another player rather than being the most important player on the pitch, and I would put money on him looking nowhere near as good as he has this year.

How many times have we seen players who have a great season for a relatively small club, be picked up for a vastly inflated price by a big team, only to go on to do absolutely nothing? Time and time again we see players who thrive in a very specific system but are exposed as being a decent, but not great, player as soon as they're expected to play in a different system.

So in other words, don't play someone to their strengths and they won't look as good? That doesn't really say anything about their quality - play Ronaldo or Messi at LB and they'd look pretty average.
11 not out. Ruud who?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dirtybit

Quote me lads.

Quote me lads.
Original post by Tom.x.Gotze
Quote me lads.

Unreal :frown:

Quote me lads.

Okay.
Vardy could not do this in La Liga I think we need to accept the Premier League is declining in terms of quality it is not what it used to be
Reply 33
Fair play to him, it's a Premier League record (much like Fowler's for quickest hat-trick) that I didn't think would be ever be broken and certainly not from Vardy (a player who only managed 5 goals last season and 20 goals in 60 games at Championship level). Ranieri deserves credit for getting the very best out of him, wonder how long he will genuinely keep it going for.
Reply 34

Quote me lads.

U fool

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
I love how after the man has scored for 11 games in a row, people are still trying to make excuses.

How about you just give him a little credit for making history and it not even being at a bloody major club?
One of the most refreshing things I've ever seen in the Premier League to date.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't wait to see him on the left wing in the Euro's.
Original post by iamthetruth
Vardy could not do this in La Liga I think we need to accept the Premier League is declining in terms of quality it is not what it used to be

The PL isn't what it used to be, but how do you know he wouldn't score goals in La Liga? If Carlos f*cking Vela managed to get 16 goals and 12 assists at Real Sociedad in 13/14, I'm not going to say Vardy couldn't hack the Spanish League. Atleti, Real and Barca are a class above, but the other clubs I wouldn't be so sure on.

Costa and Sanchez were no more prolific moving from La Liga to the Prem, for instance.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 38
Not world class but give credit wheres its due.

Also, can't really use age as a factor. E.g. Zlatan and Pirlo both world class players who had their best years late on. Same with Carrick.

Quote me lads.

chat **** get banged

Quick Reply

Latest