The Student Room Group

The unfairness of Oxbridge Admissions Consultancies

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by highestmountain
I do have faith in them but can't help but to think they can't get it right all the time. Someone who shines at interview may well be on his/her 20th "attempt" at an interview whereas others will be on their first. Again - I'm not suggesting that the content of mock interviews themselves are important for this result but rather, its the act of verbalizing and communicating their subject on countless occassions which paves the way for this advtange to be gained. Small things like body language which the first timer will not have gotten the chance to pick up upon :frown:

Interviewers are wary of candidates who are clearly coached. They just want people to be natural, and are very well used to dealing with shy/nervous applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by Hydeman
Didn't you have four A*s? :tongue:

I mean STEP. :colondollar:
essentially lulled in by the persuasive powers of a group of Oxbridge graduates who see an opportunity to exploit people’s gullible-ness and fears about the admissions process. I certainly wouldn’t pay £395 for some rogue advice from the people whoclaim to be “experts” in the admissions process.

This part is fair.

I felt sick to the core at witnessing first hand so many people taking advantage of this interview “training” procedure through daddy’s money when many applicants have to make do without even having a teacher who is willing to give them a mock interview. How is this bloody fair?

This part isn't. Some people have parents, family or friends who went to Oxbridge and can help them; some people are at good state schools, which will prep them properly; some people are at private schools, which will prep them; others will get their interview prep more directly. People have various levels of advantage and disadvantage. In this context it's pretty silly to get mad at people for trying to obtain whatever advantage they can, imho.

Generally, I would say that people who use this sort of service are not in the most advantaged group of Oxbridge applicants. If you're at a top school in either sector you hardly need pay £350 for a day's worth of prep.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
I have the stats to show the higher the participation level in an Oxbridge (well Cambridge, but I'm confident it would be the same for The Other Place) Applicants thread, the higher the chance of an offer.

It kind of makes sense: if you can communicate in a public forum your passion (or interest) about your subject (and the uni) then you are more likely to be the kind of person they are looking for.

I'm really not sure about that. The sample size is too small, to start with. Yes, this forum is a good source of good info/advice on Cambridge application but you can just lurk and see them. No need to be a poster with high post counts.
I think that claim can be misleading. If someone with not that brilliant academic profile read what you said and think he can be a strong candidates by spending lots of time here than working to make his application stronger, that's really damaging.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
This part is fair.

This part isn't. Some people have parents, family or friends who went to Oxbridge and can help them; some people are at good state schools, which will prep them properly; some people are at private schools, which will prep them; others will get their interview prep more directly. People have various levels of advantage and disadvantage. In this context it's pretty silly to get mad at people for trying to obtain whatever advantage they can, imho.

Generally, I would say that people who use this sort of service are not in the most advantaged group of Oxbridge applicants. If you're at a top school in either sector you hardly need pay £350 for a day's worth of prep.

^^^ this.
Reply 25
If you're bright enough to get in you probably don't need this. Therefore = rip off
Reply 26
Original post by vincrows
I'm really not sure about that. The sample size is too small, to start with. Yes, this forum is a good source of good info/advice on Cambridge application but you can just lurk and see them. No need to be a poster with high post counts.
I think that claim can be misleading. If someone with not that brilliant academic profile read what you said and think he can be a strong candidates by spending lots of time here than working to make his application stronger, that's really damaging.

Someone not so academic would see the others are doing a lot more work and should get the message they need to up their game.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Someone not so academic would see the others are doing a lot more work and should get the message they need to up their game.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's true in that sense.
But still I think your claim of high TSR post counts = better chance of offer is a bit too much.
I feel disgusted with myself yes, disgusted, for going to an interview preparation day run by Oxbridge Applications. The cost of the daywould usually be £395 but I’m on their Access Programme so went along for freeto have a look I was amazed at the sheer number of people I saw whose parents had paid for them to attend the event essentially lulled in by the persuasive powers of a group of Oxbridge graduates who see an opportunity to exploit people’s gullible-ness and fears about the admissions process. I certainly wouldn’t pay £395 for some rogue advice from the people whoclaim to be “experts” in the admissions process. For the record, I’ve applied to study HSPS and thought this might help albeit minutely with my ability to verbalize my subject.
Yes, I know this sounds hypocritical and especially since I went along for free. And yes, they do indeed offer some/a limited number of disadvantagedstudents access to these events so someone might question why the hell am I moaning? But my point is I felt sick to the core at witnessing first hand so many people taking advantage of this interview “training” procedure through daddy’s money when many applicants have to make do without even having a teacher who is willing to give them a mock interview. How is this bloody fair?

Life is unfair. Get used to it.

But yeah, I understand your frustration. I wouldn't be able to pay so much for preparation but hopefully you (and me) will get in through your own efforts.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by vincrows
That's true in that sense.
But still I think your claim of high TSR post counts = better chance of offer is a bit too much.

I saw the stats back in January and I do recall there being a statistically significant correlation between the two.

However, correlation does not imply causation.
Original post by marioman
I saw the stats back in January and I do recall there being a statistically significant correlation between the two.

I have seen the statistic but as I said, the sample size is way too small and it's only for one (or two?) years' data. You don't draw a conclusion from a small data like that.

Yes, I agree with the second thing you said. :smile:
I feel disgusted with myself ...How is this bloody fair?

It might not be fair, but don't be so hard on yourself or the others. This is a major turning point in life, so aspirants want to prepare in any way they can. If you have the right demeanor, it can help marginally, I suppose, so some hope they can buy it.

Though we didn't pay for this kind of service, which smacks of a con, we did hire a tutor in maths for our daughter's French BAC. With a conditional offer for Cam, she had to score outstandingly on it - we wanted to make sure she trained for the way they give the test, not for mastery of content. I am glad we did.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 32

Correct on both :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol well it obviously wouldn't be causal.
Original post by jneill
Correct on both :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Another contributing reason might be that people who are more confident about getting in are more likely to post a lot?
Reply 35
Original post by Plagioclase
Another contributing reason might be that people who are more confident about getting in are more likely to post a lot?

For sure. It is a self-selecting group. And TSR is definitely not representative of the average applicant either.
Original post by Zarek
If you're bright enough to get in you probably don't need this. Therefore = rip off

I don't think that's the issue here. The problem is that, with all the coaching available to some applicants, those who aren't as bright as others might get places at the expense of uncoached applicants who are bright enough.

Hate to say it but saying that is the equivalent of saying, 'if you're bright enough to pass that exam, you probably don't need to be taught.' With a lot of things to do with university admissions, it's just as important to know how to do well as it is to simply be bright enough.

Although I do agree it's a rip-off. :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by Plagioclase
:lolwut:

Just (re-)found my £4k benchmark, different company but similar spiel..

2 week summer school = £3,895
https://www.oxford-royale.co.uk/course/uk-university-preparation
Original post by jneill
Just (re-)found my £4k benchmark, different company but similar spiel..

2 week summer school = £3,895
https://www.oxford-royale.co.uk/course/uk-university-preparation

I, embarrassingly, was going to apply for this one last summer. :redface:
I'm so glad I live near Oxford and my sixth form has a direct link with one of the colleges, so we can get admission tutors, tours and coaching at various points over the two years at sixth form.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending