The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Current University of Sheffield fresher (first year) - AMA

So I started university here at the University of Sheffield in September, figured I'd make a post for everyone thinking of coming here to ask questions and I will do my best to answer them!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Breakingbank
So I started university here at the University of Sheffield in September, figured I'd make a post for everyone thinking of coming here to ask questions and I will do my best to answer them!

Do your macro lectures consist of Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? Ok? :wink:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
oh my f****** god :laugh: I have it recorded on my phone and in the space of 20 seconds he says it 7 times

Haha ikr! It's terrible!
(edited 7 years ago)
You know who I am :O

I'm afraid I do. The post about the maths exam disaster plus the IB/Llyods scholarship stuff gave it away.
Do you live in Endcliffe? and is the accommodation small D:

When did you apply for accommodation?

What's fresher's like?

Do you find Uni easier or harder than A-levels/college.
What are the night outs like?

Sorry for all the questions :P
Original post by AnnieHelena
Do you live in Endcliffe? and is the accommodation small D:

When did you apply for accommodation?

What's fresher's like?

Do you find Uni easier or harder than A-levels/college.
What are the night outs like?

Sorry for all the questions :P

Yes I live in Endcliffe, by far the place to be, however.. My accommodation is the one that is at the front so it gets extremely loud at night and always get woken up at 4am by drunk people coming home (if I am not one of them haha). Accommodation is nice, rooms are nice, kitchen space is a struggle in my flat tho. Also its a long walk from the university.

Applied for accommodation in April, I think..

Freshers was really good - expensive though

So much harder haha, makes a levels/college look easy. Once you fall behind you can never catch up - I know from experience haha.

Nights out are good, not the best but still good - it can be expensive as endcliffe is a long walk from the city centre so always need a taxi but split between your flatmates works out to be £1/2 each way.. may not sound like a lot now but trust me it's expensive when your a student and have £12 left to last you the week haha
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes I live in Endcliffe, by far the place to be, however.. My accommodation is the one that is at the front so it gets extremely loud at night and always get woken up at 4am by drunk people coming home (if I am not one of them haha). Accommodation is nice, rooms are nice, kitchen space is a struggle in my flat tho. Also its a long walk from the university.

Applied for accommodation in April, I think..

Freshers was really good - expensive though

So much harder haha, makes a levels/college look easy. Once you fall behind you can never catch up - I know from experience haha.

Nights out are good, not the best but still good - it can be expensive as endcliffe is a long walk from the city centre so always need a taxi but split between your flatmates works out to be £1/2 each way.. may not sound like a lot now but trust me it's expensive when your a student and have £12 left to last you the week haha

Ahhh okay fab thanks for the information! :smile:

Yeah I didn't like the fact that Endcliffe is quite far out!
Do people care about age at Uni? I'm slightly older - 20 but most of my friends are younger than me xD and I do look young, I get ID'd everywhere -.- and I act young! Just don't want to be left out or anything :P
Oh no! How much did you spend during fresher's ;o are tickets expensive too?
Ahhh okay fab thanks for the information! :smile:

Yeah I didn't like the fact that Endcliffe is quite far out!
Do people care about age at Uni? I'm slightly older - 20 but most of my friends are younger than me xD and I do look young, I get ID'd everywhere -.- and I act young! Just don't want to be left out or anything :P
Oh no! How much did you spend during fresher's ;o are tickets expensive too?

don't worry about age, you are put with similar people, so I also am older so all my flatmates are around my age (19/20)

tickets vary, if you buy early they're not so bad £5-15.. but thats if u manage to find ur flatmates on fb before starting uni, but they increase their prices in freshers to about £20 per event.. I spent about £150 during freshers including tickets and drink and other random things
don't worry about age, you are put with similar people, so I also am older so all my flatmates are around my age (19/20)

tickets vary, if you buy early they're not so bad £5-15.. but thats if u manage to find ur flatmates on fb before starting uni, but they increase their prices in freshers to about £20 per event.. I spent about £150 during freshers including tickets and drink and other random things

When I go university I will be 21 almost 22 D: I don't want to be with people my age though as I'm really immature and I've noticed those who are my age are extremely mature *face palm* I must sound really odd :/

Ahhh I see! Did you go to most of the events? (:
Reply 9

How far away is the accommodation from the university itself? I heard that it's a 20-25 minute walk, which seems rather long?
When I go university I will be 21 almost 22 D: I don't want to be with people my age though as I'm really immature and I've noticed those who are my age are extremely mature *face palm* I must sound really odd :/

Ahhh I see! Did you go to most of the events? (:

Ahh okay, hmm I am not too sure, do you already have your grades? Because if you do not have your grades then I think you may be put with the A-level students, but if you already have your grades and will be offered an unconditional, you most likely will be put with other unconditionals/mature students.

Yeah I went to most events! :smile:

Original post by cazzem
How far away is the accommodation from the university itself? I heard that it's a 20-25 minute walk, which seems rather long?

Good question, it depends what you study and what accommodation you go for, if you go for endcliffe/ranmoor yeah university is a long walk. Also for each subject/department they are scattered around the city e.g. for me, my department is the furthest one (i think) so it is a 35 minute walk. But I think most departments are closer than mine and so yeah its at least a 20 minute walk. It's long but you get used to it, also there is a bus near the accommodation which takes you to the city for £1 each way or a pass for £7 a week
Reply 11
Good question, it depends what you study and what accommodation you go for, if you go for endcliffe/ranmoor yeah university is a long walk. Also for each subject/department they are scattered around the city e.g. for me, my department is the furthest one (i think) so it is a 35 minute walk. But I think most departments are closer than mine and so yeah its at least a 20 minute walk. It's long but you get used to it, also there is a bus near the accommodation which takes you to the city for £1 each way or a pass for £7 a week

Yeah I'll probably go for Endcliffe if I do end up firming Sheffield. Do you know how far away the social science building is from Endcliffe?
Original post by cazzem
Yeah I'll probably go for Endcliffe if I do end up firming Sheffield. Do you know how far away the social science building is from Endcliffe?

Social sciences are split up, Economics is what I study and that's about 35minutes
Reply 13
Social sciences are split up, Economics is what I study and that's about 35minutes

Ah I see, thanks for the replies :smile:

Hello!

Couple of questions about Endcliffe,
Is there an iron or ironing board in the halls? Hoping to transfer my job at home to Sheffield and my uniform has to be ironed:doh:
Also, what's the nearest supermarket to the halls? Praying for a lidl or tesco, I really can't be dealing with the expensive sainsburys life...
Original post by lilyelisabeth
Hello!

Couple of questions about Endcliffe,
Is there an iron or ironing board in the halls? Hoping to transfer my job at home to Sheffield and my uniform has to be ironed:doh:
Also, what's the nearest supermarket to the halls? Praying for a lidl or tesco, I really can't be dealing with the expensive sainsburys life...

Yeah you're given an ironing board for your flat although none of us ended up using it and near Endcliffe there's a Sainsburys/Morrisons which is just over a 10m walk then if you walk a little further there's a Tesco express which is just over a 15m walk.
how many flatmates did you have to share with? Also, is accommodation by choice or just randomly allocated to people? :smile: is there a lot of choice when it comes to joining societies?
Original post by Sammy9898
how many flatmates did you have to share with? Also, is accommodation by choice or just randomly allocated to people? :smile: is there a lot of choice when it comes to joining societies?

- There's hundreds and hundreds of societies so a huge variety

- Accommodation, you select preferences out of 3 locations: endcliffe, city or ranmoor and then you select whether you want an ensuite or not, whether you want to be in mixed gender accommodation and then you get randomly allocated a room based on your preferences.

- the amount of flatmates varies by block, I had 8 people but I know friends who had 6 people and friends who had like 15+ people
Reply 18

UoS here too. 100% pay attention in stats, it only gets way harder
Original post by lxbsly
UoS here too. 100% pay attention in stats, it only gets way harder

agreed, stats last year wrecked me, in 2nd year now doing econometrics and it makes me contemplate life "why did I pick economics" runs through my mind every lecture

Quick Reply

Latest