The Student Room Group

PGCE applicant, considered UK resident but teaching EFL abroad

Hi, first posting

I am currently completing a distance masters degree via the University of Sheffield and qualified as a home student because my work contracts in Korea are only yearly contracts. I am therefore still considered resident in the UK and have paid in full for the masters programme.
I want to return to the UK and apply for a PGCE programme when I have submitted my dissertation. I have enough saved to pay for either tuition fees or for living and accomodations expenses. What is the liklihood of being granted student finance in this situation?
Thanks for your help and advice.
Reply 1
Anyone been in the same position or can offer any advice? I will be back in the UK for a few weeks in February so want to see if I can get interviews done at that time. Or can someone point me in the direction of definitive information regarding student loans for PGCE students?
Hi,

Funding for PGCE course is the same as for undergraduate courses, so you could be entitled to a tuition fee loan, maintenance loan and maintenance grant, depending on your household income. However it is also subject to the same residency rules as undergraduate degrees, so to be eligible for funding you would need to have lived in the UK for three years before the start of the course, except for temporary breaks in residency.

The assessors may be able to accept evidence of temporary work contracts to show your break in residency was temporary, but there is no guarantee, so you would need to apply and send the evidence before finding out for sure.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending