The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I cant believe so many people are applying for london! Those unis were the first off my list cos its so expensive.
I reckon my 4 are gonna be manchester, leeds, newcastle and glasgow- never really fancied going down south.
Do any unis in Scotland not require the UKCAT? I figure it's inevitable I'll have to do it, but just wondering which ones put less weight on it.

Bare in mind that unis not requiring the UKCAT and BMAT are gonna have loooooooads of applicants this year.
Cambridge (hopefully, my maths prediction is a bit crap)
Imperial
King's
UCL

yummy.
clairette
Do any unis in Scotland not require the UKCAT? I figure it's inevitable I'll have to do it, but just wondering which ones put less weight on it.

All Scottish unis require the UKCAT. As the UKCAT will only be in its second year, it's hard to say how universities will use it. You could try phoning/emailing and asking? A girl in my year got an interview in Glasgow with an average of below 600 but that's all I know. Barts seems to be the only one that has stated a cut-off point (of an average of 600). Wait until you sit it before you decide, you may do better than you think!

The only universities that don't want any exam are Birmingham (high GCSE requirements though), Bristol and Liverpool. Belfast didn't require it last year but do this year.
Reply 104
yummy lol - wait till the after bmat feeling hoho
2 BMAT
1 UKCAT
1 Neutral
is defo the way to go
I've changed my mind a lot recently - after going to a few open days I'm now thinking definitely Sheffield and Leicester, and possibly Nottingham/St Georges/Barts. Not so sure about the London ones though as I don't really want to stay down south :s-smilie:

Is it risky picking 4 UKCAT unis? It's sort of unavoidable since about 25 out of 30ish med schools require it, but I don't want to choose a non-UKCAT uni solely on the basis of that...
xemmajanex
I've changed my mind a lot recently - after going to a few open days I'm now thinking definitely Sheffield and Leicester, and possibly Nottingham/St Georges/Barts. Not so sure about the London ones though as I don't really want to stay down south :s-smilie:

Is it risky picking 4 UKCAT unis? It's sort of unavoidable since about 25 out of 30ish med schools require it, but I don't want to choose a non-UKCAT uni solely on the basis of that...

Nothing wrong with picking four UKCAT unis, like you said, there are so many of them its hard not to! I got a score of about 600, and got four interviews from UKCAT unis, so as long as you do ok, it should be fine.
Yeah, I doubt they'll put a lot of emphasis on the UKCAT. It'll make a difference sure, but nothing too major, although I reckon it'll carry a bit more worth than last year following it's "success"...
First post (WOO!)

I'm thinking Manchester and Nottingham definately. Nottingham is like heaven :smile: Having spent a week there.

The probably Liverpool and i'm still undecided on whether to apply to somewhere in scotland or somewhere else in England.

Hmm...

Latest

Trending

Trending