The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3 Remainder Theorem, HELP!!!!

Hella kind helpers:biggrin:
I'm stuck at the remainder theorem and its identities when it comes to solving equations, Let me elaborate.
I've got a question where I'm supposed to divide a polynomial by a linear equation using some remainder theorem identity. Anyone?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hamoody96
Hella kind helpers
I'm stuck at the remainder theorem and its identities when it comes to solving equations, Let me elaborate.
I've got a question where I'm supposed to divide a polynomial by a linear equation using some remainder theorem identity. Anyone?

Post the question?
Reply 2
Original post by BuryMathsTutor
Post the question?

Capture.JPG
There you go. Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 3
Capture.JPG
There you go. Thanks :biggrin:

According to the remainder theorem,
Unparseable latex formula:

\[F(x)\equiv Q(x)\cdot D(x) + R

I've put your question in that format:

x^{3}+x^{2}-7 \equiv (Ax^{2}+Bx +C)(x-3) +D\]

Now why don't you try solving it? Comparing coefficients and letting x be certain values might help.
Reply 4
FT.png

This could help
Reply 5
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
According to the remainder theorem,

\[F(x)\equiv Q(x)\cdot D(x) + R

I've put your question in that format:

x^{3}+x^{2}-7 \equiv (Ax^{2}+Bx +C)(x-3) +D\]

Now why don't you try solving it? Comparing coefficients and letting x be certain values might help.

Its that part after setting up the identity that baffles me :biggrin:
How do I solve it? Like the book used two values, 3 and 0. Where did those come from?
Reply 6
Original post by jjnero
FT.png

This could help

So like we set up the identity and then do a long division and plug in the relative values or what?
Reply 7
Its that part after setting up the identity that baffles me :biggrin:
How do I solve it? Like the book used two values, 3 and 0. Where did those come from?

I would suggest not to carry out long division first. It wastes valuable time. Do it directly via the remainder theorem. I'll give you one example - when you set x = 3, what do you get? The quadratic disappears, right? Also try thinking about the coefficients of each x term. compare the LHS to the RHS. When you compare x^3 on the LHS to x^3 on the RHS, what is the result?

Quick Reply

Latest