The Student Room Group
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

Is uni worth it?

I'm 21 and studying to become a Pharmacy Technician in an NHS Hospital and will qualify next August. I would love to go to uni to become a Pharmacist and have been given an offer to do so.
I'm just wondering if it's going to be worth it as uni will take 5 years and then a pre-reg year and the prospects for Technicians are still very good.
Any advice on what to do? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Think about what you would like to do, where you want to go and what level of responsibility and engagement you aspire to. A pharmacy technician's job is challenging and carries a lot of responsibility - you are dealing with people's health and welfare but you are working under the direction of a pharmacist and there is thus a limit to your responsibility (and remuneration). If you are happy with that, then stick with it. If you want more responsibility (and hard work and challenge and stress and grind, and pay) and possibly greater job satisfaction (not guaranteed but possible because you have more autonomy and control over what you do) then doing an MPharm is worth considering. At the moment it is 4 years at uni followed by 1 year pre-reg (not 5+1 as in your thread). What qualifications do you have? You might need to do an access course if you don't already have good A levels and this will take more time and effort. An MPharm is a challenge - pharmacy is a multidisciplinary course and there is a huge amount to learn. Are you up for this? It can be a life-changing and enhancing challenge for those who really, really want to do it but it is not easy.
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website
Original post by Andy7348
I'm 21 and studying to become a Pharmacy Technician in an NHS Hospital and will qualify next August. I would love to go to uni to become a Pharmacist and have been given an offer to do so.
I'm just wondering if it's going to be worth it as uni will take 5 years and then a pre-reg year and the prospects for Technicians are still very good.
Any advice on what to do? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heya,

Where do you have an offer to study Pharmacy? :h:

Like the person above said, this is something only you can decide. :smile: I would say you also need consider how you will feel in a few years time - will you want new challenges? Will you still be happy being a technician? Will you get bored?

You've already got some experience working in a Pharmacy which is great because you already have some idea of what being a Pharmacist is like. There are also lots of other career paths you can take with a degree in Pharmacy, so you'll have more options in that respect. :h:

Katie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending