The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
starchild
I regret applying for law because my parents pushed me into it. I wanted to do history and they said I couldnt do that because I wouldnt get any financial support.

Now they've changed their minds, and say I can go for History...when its too late and I've chosen my firm and insurance. Now I have to go through clearing or take a gap year :frown:

Sorry this is off topic but couldn't you contact the uni's and ask to change course instead of having to go through extra or clearing?
Reply 41
Yes, trying to see if they will change your course is a long shot, but the worst they can do is say no- you've got nothing to lose, they won't revoke your offers and it's not really as if you want them anyway!

The only time my mother tried to interfere was whilst I was choosing my insurance, because she didn't want me to reject Warwick right after I'd been to the Durham open day. She had a point, but I have no regrets :p: oh, and they wouldn't let me go to Lancaster just to get £1000 a year scholarship, but after Oxford came through that was hardly a serious consideration anyway.
Reply 42
i applied to london school of pharmacy and ashton

wish i applied to cardiff and bath

also did maths not economics
Reply 43
i wish upon a star that i never took a gap year because i ended up with the exact same offers/rejections i had the first time i applied, despite ending up with better results than i was being predicted. boohoo.
Oh no way! What did you apply with first and second time around and where too. English is Highly competetive so you should be proud that you got an offer from such a good uni :biggrin:

PS - i'm worried that I'll be on here next year listing my regrets! I wan't to try and prevent this as much as possible! Any tips?
Reply 45
lollie
Oh no way! What did you apply with first and second time around and where too. English is Highly competetive so you should be proud that you got an offer from such a good uni :biggrin:

PS - i'm worried that I'll be on here next year listing my regrets! I wan't to try and prevent this as much as possible! Any tips?

Visit EVERYWHERE,
Aim high, but also know what you're going to do if that doesn't work,
Know exactly what the course you're applying for entails,
Follow YOUR dreams and not anybody else's
And don't sweat it if you do end up "regretting" something. Most people probably do, whether it be a choice they applied to that they got rejected from (impossible to predict!), a university they visited and discovered they hated or whatever else. As long as you love one, hopefully two out of your choices, things should be fine.
I regret applying to Warwick for two courses; when I only really wanted the Law and Sociology BA for my insurance. They rejected me I think because they knew they would accept me on the straight Law course. Which I then rejected them on! lol
regret applying for law because my parents pushed me into it. I wanted to do history and they said I couldnt do that because I wouldnt get any financial support.

Now they've changed their minds, and say I can go for History...when its too late and I've chosen my firm and insurance. Now I have to go through clearing or take a gap year

Exactly the same thing with me but replace law with medicine and history with pharamacy.Now I am going to clearing:redface: Come on do it with me, we shall get want we want in the iend!
Reply 48
Regret not aiming high enough...... Strathclyde only want BBB..:rolleyes:
Reply 49
lollie

i applied to ucl, durham, warwick, king's, royal holloway and queen mary first time around. i got offers from queen mary and royal holloway.

second time around, i applied to ucl, warwick (to 2 diff courses, english lit and english and american lit), king's, royal holloway and queen mary. Again, i got offers from royal holloway and queen mary.

was very keen to get into king's. i got rejected 2 days before the ucas deadline for uni's to reply. this accounts for another boohoo.
What the heck is wrong with kings:mad: they either rejct you too late and won't even bother giving you a staright awnser.
I wish I'd never applied to Oxford, Reading or Sussex because I had no desire to go to any of them.

However, I am over the moon with where I am going (LSE) so I guess it doesn't matter now! :smile:
Reply 52
I wish i applied to Swansea instead of portsmouth- i didn't know that they did a geography course till after i submitted my ucas form and it looks really nice there.
Sorry to rub it in - its not intentinal by Swansea (the place - never actually been to the uni) Is absolutely gorgeous I love it there.
Reply 54
Aj_deity
Follow YOUR dreams and not anybody else's

The most important one IMO.
Reply 55
Applying to Lancaster was a waste of time, should have stuck with East Anglia! :rolleyes:
Reply 56
For me, applying to Birmingham and Sussex was rather pointless and stupid on my part. Both unis gave me offers 7 and 8 days (respectively) after I sent in my application. It was great to get offers so quickly but thinking about it, I really did not want to go to either of the two universities.
Reply 57
It seems to me that nearly everybody who has replied has some kind of regret. If only we had thought a little more before applying... But I guess we are all going to a university, so it does not really matter.
I've no regrets because I got an offer from my first choice uni so the other ones I applied to don't really matter anymore. :biggrin:
cdcg88
Not so much a regret about where I applied...but I wish St.Andrews did English law as a course...having said that though, I did get my firm at ox so I might not have gone there anyway, but Iloved St.Andrews :-S

*sigh* Me too. St Andrews was great. However, I'm sticking closer to home this time around :biggrin:

Latest