The Student Room Group

Advice on revising for Edexcel AS Govt and Politics needed urgently!!

I've just started studying politics on the edexcel board and my teacher is pretty rubbish. I have 'covered' unit 1 and have mocks in just over two weeks and I'm stressing so much over how much I have to teach myself. I don't know if I'm blind but I've searched the internet and youtube for decent essay structure help and simple videos that will help me with understanding and I can't find anything as good as what other subjects offer. So hopefully some of you guys can help me/guide with the following questions:
→For each of the three sub questions, how much is knowledge, application, analysis and evaluation?
→What is the most efficient way of revising for politics without just memorising everything as I want to understand too?
→How often do I have to use examples in each question to get full marks as the textbook has a daunting amount of them?

Please help!:frown:
Original post by ricey97
I've just started studying politics on the edexcel board and my teacher is pretty rubbish. I have 'covered' unit 1 and have mocks in just over two weeks and I'm stressing so much over how much I have to teach myself. I don't know if I'm blind but I've searched the internet and youtube for decent essay structure help and simple videos that will help me with understanding and I can't find anything as good as what other subjects offer. So hopefully some of you guys can help me/guide with the following questions:
→For each of the three sub questions, how much is knowledge, application, analysis and evaluation?
→What is the most efficient way of revising for politics without just memorising everything as I want to understand too?
→How often do I have to use examples in each question to get full marks as the textbook has a daunting amount of them?

Please help!:frown:

Hi! Sorry to hear about your teacher! I'm not sure about the balance between marks but I can ask my teacher on Monday for you! The more examples I put in I find the higher mark I get! The thing is with politics essays is that most of them are two sided (quite a lot are very similar but reworded) (ie. In 25 markets it could be that you need to discuss advantages and disadvantages, two sides of an argument, what method is more effective, etc) before writing a 25 marker I find making mind maps beneficial, so I put the question in the middle and split it off. I find that this works as a revision method especially if you try to learn the facts and points on the mind map and then try to write the essay in timed conditions without it! For government and politics I would also advise that you read a lot of the politics news (ie if it's relevant in a pressure groups essay you could mention the BMA and how Jeremy Hunt is in the midst of discussions with them over the junior doctors striking). In al of my essays I have never gotten under 17/25 and this is how I go about doing it! Also I've just ordered a revision guide to help with mind mapping for essays as I find the textbook is quite helpful but I need more examples and detail! I have also been told by my politics teacher for structure: if your introduction is relevant and is strong use one, then depending on the title to how many paragraphs but one paragraph per point. For an example, if discussing what makes pressure groups successful you could do a paragraph on wealth, public support, membership size, leadership/tactics, government views and any potential opposition to that pressure group. Or if you were you were doing whether pressure groups influence an effective and efficient government you would only need to do a FOR for efficient, an AGAINST for efficient, a FOR for effective and an AGAINST for effective (or you could go down the route of the 3 branches of government) finally, make a conclusion but don't sit on the fence! Make a decision and say why! I hope this helps (sorry about all of the PG stuff I've just finished them and am trying to revise them haha) :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Danimillie
Hi! Sorry to hear about your teacher! I'm not sure about the balance between marks but I can ask my teacher on Monday for you! The more examples I put in I find the higher mark I get! The thing is with politics essays is that most of them are two sided (quite a lot are very similar but reworded) (ie. In 25 markets it could be that you need to discuss advantages and disadvantages, two sides of an argument, what method is more effective, etc) before writing a 25 marker I find making mind maps beneficial, so I put the question in the middle and split it off. I find that this works as a revision method especially if you try to learn the facts and points on the mind map and then try to write the essay in timed conditions without it! For government and politics I would also advise that you read a lot of the politics news (ie if it's relevant in a pressure groups essay you could mention the BMA and how Jeremy Hunt is in the midst of discussions with them over the junior doctors striking). In al of my essays I have never gotten under 17/25 and this is how I go about doing it! Also I've just ordered a revision guide to help with mind mapping for essays as I find the textbook is quite helpful but I need more examples and detail! I have also been told by my politics teacher for structure: if your introduction is relevant and is strong use one, then depending on the title to how many paragraphs but one paragraph per point. For an example, if discussing what makes pressure groups successful you could do a paragraph on wealth, public support, membership size, leadership/tactics, government views and any potential opposition to that pressure group. Or if you were you were doing whether pressure groups influence an effective and efficient government you would only need to do a FOR for efficient, an AGAINST for efficient, a FOR for effective and an AGAINST for effective (or you could go down the route of the 3 branches of government) finally, make a conclusion but don't sit on the fence! Make a decision and say why! I hope this helps (sorry about all of the PG stuff I've just finished them and am trying to revise them haha) :smile:

Thank you so much! I have my mock exam for politics tomorrow so I will try take all this on board.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending