The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Skoda's are fine now, they're made by VAG.
The opener of the thread asked. And since this is a forum, everyone has a right to answer.

I personally like skodas, and its a good way to go, especially compared to the french rivals. Build quality, economy and value for money is all very good - especially when compared to the equivalent VW or Audi.

Oh, by the way mmc24 - Back in Skodas early days, they were making cars to rival Rolls Royce. Today, Skoda has lost the poor image... Get with it!
Thanks everyone :wink:

My Saxo is going into the local garage on Tuesday for a quote on the work it needs. If the quote comes to anymore than £500, I'll strip and sell the Saxo and try and scrape the money together for a Fabia. I initially said a 1.2 as I thought the 1.4 would cost loads more to insure, but it doesn't, so it'll almost certainly be the 1.4 that I go for.
That'll be a nice little runner you'll have there
Reply 24
Konstantinerox
Thanks everyone :wink:

My Saxo is going into the local garage on Tuesday for a quote on the work it needs. If the quote comes to anymore than £500, I'll strip and sell the Saxo and try and scrape the money together for a Fabia. I initially said a 1.2 as I thought the 1.4 would cost loads more to insure, but it doesn't, so it'll almost certainly be the 1.4 that I go for.

It'll almost definitely be more than that, more likely closer to £1500.
I've not driven it, but my mum has a 1.4 Fabia that she loves. I think it must be pretty good because she refuses to drive my Fiesta on the basis that it's 'too heavy', but the Fabia doesn't accelerate and its a bigger car than the 206 (or at least it looks bigger - can fit 4 adults in without a problem), but it can turn on a penny coin. I think the 206 looks better, and the brakeshoes (?) on the skoda get stuck to the wheels when its warm and wet, cos they expand and then the car won't move - could just be a one car issue though, it's a Y reg, so its getting on for 6 years now, I think.
Reply 26
lessthanthree
i was talking to VW about it yesterday infact.

Ah, I haven't spoken to him for a few months. How is he? Are him and Audi still getting on alright?
It would be a much better car if VAG sorted out their small engine's power output.
Reply 28
1.4 is definetly the better move. Petrol or Diesel?

(I'm a diesel fan, but lets not get into the argument from the other thread again!)

Minardi
Reply 29
I like the Fabias. Anything made by VAG will be pretty efficient and reliable, and the Fabia estates are very roomy (my friend has one and we managed to fit an enormous old wardrobe in the back). Haven't driven one yet but I'd like to get the vRS when I've got enough money to buy a newish car.
Reply 30
My uncle had a Fabia 1.9 none turbo for diesel for 5 years from new, he did 125,000 miles in it, apart from routine servicing (on VW's long life servicing regime) i.e oil changes every 20k the only thing that went wrong was the alternator. Although the engine did sound like its been worked hard towards the end, probably due to the lack of oil changes :frown:.

The Fabia is basic but very functional and very well built. Even the 99 model uses the latest Polo chasis so its the oldest is still a very modern car.
why did you keep picking french cars? they are notoriously unreliable..

anyway that aside. do not get a 206 you'll have the same problems.

get the skoda!
Skoda Fabia reliability index: 72.3
Pug 206 reliability index: 58.6

Notorious if you believe Clarkson.
pghstochaj
Skoda Fabia reliability index: 72.3
Pug 206 reliability index: 58.6

Notorious if you believe Clarkson.

Clarkson = GOD! :p:
Reply 34
Phoenix
Clarkson = GOD! :p:

:biggrin:
Reply 35
my driving instructor had a vRS, it was really good on the pass +, espec down the country roads and motorways!
Reply 36
My mums a driving instructor in a fabia and hasnt had anyone say they dont like it {not that many learners would complain about the car they learntt to drive in but, i certainly liked learning in it)

Its a very safe car, the brakes are SO sharp... when i first drove my clio afetr passing, i didnt realise you had to actually slam your foot on the break to get an effect. now if i drive the fabia i have to remind myself they are so sharp or end up flinging myself through the front windshield :p: (slight exaggeration but you get the point :P)

go for the 1.4 :smile:
Reply 37
Clio (If MK2) have amazing brakes for a standard road car. The 1.2 brakes better than almost any other car I've driven/been in

Latest

Trending

Trending