The Student Room Group

Putting unit grades into UCAS

So long story short, I got a U in Chemistry last year ( E in first module, U in second and a C in the practical unit) is it worth me showing the C for the practical skills module, so universities can see i'm competent at practicals or should i avoid this? thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

I forgot to mention, do i even need to declare grades that I don't have certificates for?
Yes, you have to declare ALL grades, even if you've failed.

For unit grades, you either state all of them or you state none at all - you can't pick and mix.
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Yes, you have to declare ALL grades, even if you've failed.

For unit grades, you either state all of them or you state none at all - you can't pick and mix.

I read that you only put down the grades you have had a certificate for?
Reply 4
I also got a U in Chemistry AS ( U Chem 1 E Chem 2 and B Chem 3) I was told that I didn't have the declare on UCAS by my teachers as it was not classed as a qualification as I would not be receiving a certificate.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by k8jlee
I also got a U in Chemistry AS ( U Chem 1 E Chem 2 and B Chem 3) I was told that I didn't have the declare on UCAS by my teachers as it was not classed as a qualification as I would not be receiving a certificate.

Were you applying this year? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Richpeasant
Were you applying this year? :smile:

Ive applied to study Accounting and Finance at Edinburgh, Leeds, York, Liverpool and Newcastle.

What about you?
I read that you only put down the grades you have had a certificate for?

http://help.ucas.com/contract12/index.html

Please read section the first bullet point in section A:

If we, or a university or college, have any reason to believe that you or your referee have:

left out any information, including any qualifications you have completed, qualifications with an unsuccessful grade or qualifications for which you are still awaiting results....

we may take any necessary steps to check with you and other parties whether it is accurate or complete.

We have the right to cancel your application without giving you your application fee back, if we determine or (having carried out any necessary checks) or have reasonable belief that your application contains false information or you have not written your personal statement yourself.

If you have any reason to believe that information we have about you is not accurate or complete, you must tell us.
Reply 8
Original post by k8jlee

I'm 99% positive if you took an AS in the subject, you have to declare the grade no matter what you got, I know this as I had to research whether or not I had to declare my subject I dropped.

Refer to this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1744719
Original post by k8jlee
Ive applied to study Accounting and Finance at Edinburgh, Leeds, York, Liverpool and Newcastle.

What about you?

Still applying :/ Haven't chose all my options yet
http://help.ucas.com/contract12/index.html

Please read section the first bullet point in section A:

I did read that myself earlier, though thanks for the link :smile: It's quite frustrating if this is the official way of doing it as previous students at my institution have left them out but still got into university, i'd rather not take any chances. The fact i failed my first year won't look good on me though :frown:
I did read that myself earlier, though thanks for the link :smile: It's quite frustrating if this is the official way of doing it as previous students at my institution have left them out but still got into university, i'd rather not take any chances. The fact i failed my first year won't look good on me though :frown:

I honestly don't see why you're stressing about it :h:

Last year I got C,C,C,U and retook (Imagine putting those ghastly grades on UCAS :afraid:)

And I got better grades this year (you can too through resits or whatnot) and I've already gotten 5 uni offers, within a month of sending my application.

Getting a U isn't the be all or end all situation :hugs:
I honestly don't see why you're stressing about it :h:

Last year I got C,C,C,U and retook (Imagine putting those ghastly grades on UCAS :afraid:)

And I got better grades this year (you can too through resits or whatnot) and I've already gotten 5 uni offers, within a month of sending my application.

Getting a U isn't the be all or end all situation :hugs:

Unlike you with your decent grades i got BUUU in my first year, so imagine having to put that down, see why i'm worried now?
Unlike you with your decent grades i got BUUU in my first year, so imagine having to put that down, see why i'm worried now?

Wait, did your college force you to carry on or did you just not want to retake?
Wait, did your college force you to carry on or did you just not want to retake?

Oh sorry, was it not clear? I'll be a third year applicant, I got a B in my first year in history and U'S in, Biology, chemistry and psychology. So Last year I re-did Biology and Chemistry and carried on with A2 History. I got a C in A2 history a C in AS biology and failed chemistry again-.- Took me two years to realize i was actually **** at it, even though I had the best GCSE mark for it in my whole year. Anyway so this year i'm fast tracking ICT which at the moment is pretty easy and i'm fairly certain i can get a strong C at the minimum.

So currently i'm doing Biology and ICT.

Would putting my U grades in the others still apply?
Reply 15
Still applying :/ Haven't chose all my options yet

What course you thinking of doing and what are your AS/A2 predictions?
Original post by k8jlee
What course you thinking of doing and what are your AS/A2 predictions?

Applying for Biology/Biological sciences, though with a foundation year. So it's like 120-160 points required. But i'm worried they'll look down on my bad First year. Not sure on my predictions, we haven't even been given them :/
Reply 17
Applying for Biology/Biological sciences, though with a foundation year. So it's like 120-160 points required. But i'm worried they'll look down on my bad First year. Not sure on my predictions, we haven't even been given them :/

I don't think they will.

I got BBCEU in AS last year, but predicted AAB at A2 and I have received offers so you should be ok. :smile:
x

Which exam board are you doing ICT with?
I can give you my AS notes if you want them haha (provided we're doing the same exam board), there'll be a few typos in them though..

What would you like to study at university?

Unfortunately if you're definitely considering uni, you'll definitely have to declare the Us you've gotten and perhaps get your referee to write an explanation as to why this was e.g. you were determined enough to give Chem another go, but realised that you weren't compatible etc.

In terms of universities, there are quite a few which will still consider you with at least 2 A Level grade passes but again, it depends on what you want to study.
Original post by k8jlee
I don't think they will.

I got BBCEU in AS last year, but predicted AAB at A2 and I have received offers so you should be ok. :smile:

You got those grades doing 5 As levels? Pat on the back due there!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending