The Student Room Group

Going to graduate from university; Muslim - should I join the army.

I am a bit concerned. I am Muslim and do want to join the army but was wondering would I face discrimination?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
depends on who you're with i guess
Reply 2
Chances are you prob will face discrimination.
Doubt you would outrightly be discriminated against because of your religion. You may however face some issues with security clearance and this may impact your posting/vocation, though this is very much speculation on my part.

Nevertheless, I think the army would be very happy with your application.
No I don't think you would at all, in fact I think people will respect you more due to your religion and you're willing to fight for your country. Soldiers are disciplined and should show you respect.

Can I ask why you're thinking of joining the army when your religion teaches peace and non violence?
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
No I don't think you would at all, in fact I think people will respect you more due to your religion and you're willing to fight for your country. Soldiers are disciplined and should show you respect.

Can I ask why you're thinking of joining the army when your religion teaches peace and non violence?

My family are from Pakistan and have careers in the Pakistani army. I am a proud british Muslim, I love my country and faith and want to defend it.

Saying that, yes my faith and values teach peace and non violence

The army isn't a killing machine and in fact most of the time the British army are peace keeping forces and help those who need help in earth quakes etc...I want to help people and I think joining the army will help.
Just saying, I've heard stories of people from ethnic minorities being subject to racial slurs by peers - but never to the extent that those in command are able do anything about it.

If you can take that kinda stuff, go for it. I doubt there'd be discrimination w/ regards to promotion and the like.
There will probably be a few douchbags but there always are wherever you go, but other than that you shouldn't do!
Original post by Silly_Monkey
My family are from Pakistan and have careers in the Pakistani army. I am a proud british Muslim, I love my country and faith and want to defend it.

Saying that, yes my faith and values teach peace and non violence

The army isn't a killing machine and in fact most of the time the British army are peace keeping forces and help those who need help in earth quakes etc...I want to help people and I think joining the army will help.

Completely depends on what role you're in, for example if you're on the front line or a para would you really be willing to kill another person? I think you're being oblivious to the harsh reality of what being in the army can mean. It's all ok saying you want to defend your country but there are reasons thousands of vets come back with PTSD from the front line.
If you are a graduate, then I assume you are thinking of officer training?
It is far less likely that any religious/racial issues would occur.

Squadies might be tempted to bully another "other ranks" but as a commissioned officer they would have very serious issues to deal with if they play up.

Fellow officers might be slightly prejudiced, like any other person in any job but it is less likely.
I'd think they'd welcome you with open arms.
Original post by Drewski
Ignoring the bs comments of posters above who haven't the first clue...

As with any large organisation, you'll get the odd idiot, but that'll happen whether you worked for ASDA or the Army.

If you want to try the Army, absolutely go for it.

I decided I am going to an join army office in Manchester and find out more info
Reply 11
Do yourself a favor and ask people who are actually in the army directly.
Most of the above posts (if not all) are purely based on speculation and isolated incidents which MAY have occurred by people who've never been in the army.
Original post by iamthetruth
I have heard joining the British army is against Islam because you will be fighting against Muslims and because England is a country that does not apply Islamic law it is not allowed for you to fight for it

They have a Muslim section in the British armed forces an there are leading imams who work for the army,

Since when has Britian been against Islam?

I am going to head down at some point and find out more info and have a better idea.
What is your opinion of British foreign policy?
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Killing in Islam is one of the deadliest sins you can commit and will earn you an eternity in Jahannam.

Obviously if he's not in a front line role he'll probably be ok

And yet, every Muslim country on earth has an army.
Original post by IBIB
Dont be afraid to join the army if ur muslim, but some people mught get scared that as soon as you get a gun, you shoot british solider though

There are Muslims in the British army. The British army also trains with many Muslim nation armies with no problem.

It is comments like yours that sort of put me off because you are creating an us v them.
Original post by IBIB
no im not trying to put you of brother, just dont when you kill someone shout allahu akbar.

Anyway why would you join the army? youd be fighting IS.

Most British troops are not fighting anyone.
Original post by Silly_Monkey
There are Muslims in the British army. The British army also trains with many Muslim nation armies with no problem.

It is comments like yours that sort of put me off because you are creating an us v them.

Please ignore what IBIB is posting. I highly doubt he serves in the British Military in any capability.

From my experiences anyone who comes from a different religious or ethnic background has had very little issue with discrimination. There may be some back chatter because of it but you just have to harden up. We all get it at some stage so you won't be any different.
OP, as you can see, you're most likely to face ignorance and stupidity from those outside the military rather than in it.

Go chat to the AFCO, see what they say, see what you're interested in and take it from there.
Chaps I've tidied this thread up and am issuing the following edict:

This is a careers forum, it is not a discussion about politics or religion. The OP is muslim and is interested in joining the British Army, end of. I don't want to see any criticisms of the OPs religiousness or anything to do with current Islamophobic trends. Anyone posting these non-constructive and highly inflammatory responses will be carded by me, personally.

OP you've been given some good advice, but the take-away should be that there is no reason that you should worry about discrimination in the British Armed forces because of your race or religion. Especially as an Officer. The caveat to this is that you should expect to have the standard amounts of banter about anything that makes your stand out and not to take yourself too seriously, just like everyone else.

Have a look at this website for some inspiration. http://afma.org.uk/
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest