The Student Room Group

The Drake Equation

Hi, I'm doing a presentation about the fermi paradox and I use the drake equation:
N=R×fp×ne×fI×fi×fc×L N = R_* \times f_p \times n_e \times f_I \times f_i \times f_c \times L
Where the symbols have their usual meanings. I don't understand why this would give the number of civilisations whose EM emissions are detectable. Surely it would give the number of civilisations created in L years whose EM emissions are detectable? If somebody could explain why the L (length of time which such civilisations release detectable signals into space) would give the N value that would be much appreciated, thanks.
Original post by Aiden223
Hi, I'm doing a presentation about the fermi paradox and I use the drake equation:
N=R×fp×ne×fI×fi×fc×L N = R_* \times f_p \times n_e \times f_I \times f_i \times f_c \times L
Where the symbols have their usual meanings. I don't understand why this would give the number of civilisations whose EM emissions are detectable. Surely it would give the number of civilisations created in L years whose EM emissions are detectable? If somebody could explain why the L (length of time which such civilisations release detectable signals into space) would give the N value that would be much appreciated, thanks.

Hello there,

I do not claim to be an expert in this area, however I thought that it would be worth getting the ball rolling. Firstly, if we isolate the right-hand side of the equation before the L L , we get the number of civilisations who have long-ranged communications. I think that the L L factor is intended to take into account how long signals have had to reach our detectors; if L=0 L = 0 , then the signal is at its starting point. I think that it is also important to note that signals further away were formed thousands of years ago due to the finite nature of the speed of light, so the idea of N N being the number of civilisations formed over time L L is then thrown into question. That was certainly a good point though and it is perhaps something to think about; however I think that the fact that L L is considered an average time of transmission somewhat rules that idea out. Once again, I do not claim expertise. I hope that somebody else can provide a superior answer to myself. :wink:
You have R* in units of year -1 so in order to get to a dimensionless number you need to multiply by something with units of year.

if you like everything up to L gives you the rate at which detectable civilizations are created and N is the expected number in existence at any moment.

if it's any easier there's an alternative formulation

N = N* fp ne fl fi fc fL http://www.activemind.com/Mysterious/topics/seti/drake_equation.html

Quick Reply

Latest