The Student Room Group

Creepy/ weird are just terms girls use for unattractive guys.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Longshot700
Dude, but I've seen it for myself, I've seen guys who are confident and charming talk to girls and later those girls called them "weird" or "creepy" because they weren't attractive.

I think perhaps what is happening here is that you have a flawed understanding of what comes across as weird and creepy in real life situations.

Those guys were probably being genuinely creepy and weird, you just didn't notice it.

Its fine, its takes most people a while to figure this out. With practice, you will learn. Ask girls why they thought someone was being creepy.
I think to an extent it could be true, however it's hardly just something females are guilty of and it blows it out of proportion a little. It's not exactly a secret that people are going to react differently when approached by someone they find incredibly attractive compared to someone they find totally unattractive in a social/flirting type situation. Obviously there's being rude and there's showing a lack of interest in a more polite means, but again the same is true for both sexes.
as far as I'm concerned this can also very much be true with regards to guys towards girls - I guess it's psychological; if you make very positive assumptions about a person based on their physical appearance, this will frame subjective things in the best way possible to match that good physical appearance. for example, if a thin good looking girl is lazy and eats a lot, a guy might think "wow, she's so empowered and rebellious to the female-centred expectations of society", but if she were ugly and fat, you might then think "she's a slob" (because her ugliness frames her actions in a worse light because we want to make certain assumptions of their personality to best match what we can see already to make sense of things)
This is not completely untrue, although perhaps under the "creepy" scenario it is, because creepy is creepy at the end of the day no matter what you look like.

But it's true (FOR BOTH GENDERS) that the higher the level of attractiveness the more people let things slip.

An example of this from women would be sexism, if a very attractive man who was "courting" them made some sort of sexist remark I'm sure it's much easier to let it slip because he is hot,but if a unattractive man said something sexist her response would probably along the lines of complete and utter disgust.

An common example of men letting things slip would be if the girl is very unintelligent, but "she is hot and she has got a nice body" and therefore it doesn't matter because they want to sleep with her.

These are two very common examples^

Just goes to show what our society is like and how for some reason attractiveness allows people to get away with things that average/unattractive people wouldn't be able to.
Original post by llys
Probably, but so what. Guys talking about ugly girls are not exactly using flattering vocabulary either.

The point is that girls do not admit to rejecting a guy based on his looks 'cos that will be seen as "shallow". So they resort to finding imaginary personality flaws (the first guy is not really creepy or weird, in fact the second guy is worse) to justify why they reject physically unattractive guys.

Also according to this video, guys are openly shallow (even the first guy approaches the girl saying she's beautiful) so there's no parallel case there.
I've been told by many girls that I'm weird (and that's a compliment). I've been had. My girlfriend isn't really into me. This post ruined my life.
let's say all.

Plus the guy at the beginning in the video wasn't creepy at all.

He was very creepy. He went up to a complete stranger and started complementing her. That just reeks of desperation. He probably says that to every girl who comes in the door.
I don't see the problem

If I want advice on finance, I would ask a financial expert

If I want advice on health, I would ask a doctor

If a woman wants the D, I don't see why she should be expected to ask someone she is unattracted to
Reply 48
Original post by PetitBourgeois
The point is that girls do not admit to rejecting a guy based on his looks 'cos that will be seen as "shallow". So they resort to finding imaginary personality flaws (the first guy is not really creepy or weird, in fact the second guy is worse) to justify why they reject physically unattractive guys.

Also according to this video, guys are openly shallow (even the first guy approaches the girl saying she's beautiful) so there's no parallel case there.

Of course girls are shallow. So what? I don't see how being "honest" about it makes it any better (or worse).

The truth of the matter is that girls tend to be very wary of strange guys for obvious reasons. If you say something even slightly weird or overly-forward, they will instantly feel scared. It doesn't matter if you look like Brad Pitt: if you come across as creepy or liked you're trying to pick them up, they will be too uncomfortable to even notice.
Original post by llys
Of course girls are shallow. So what? I don't see how being "honest" about it makes it any better (or worse).

Dude, I'm just explaining the video. It's about the alleged hypocrisy of girls not about whether they're polite.
Reply 51
Dude, I'm just explaining the video. It's about the alleged hypocrisy of girls not about whether they're polite.

Oh right. Didn't watch the video.
Original post by cole-slaw
The truth of the matter is that girls tend to be very wary of strange guys for obvious reasons. If you say something even slightly weird or overly-forward, they will instantly feel scared. It doesn't matter if you look like Brad Pitt: if you come across as creepy or liked you're trying to pick them up, they will be too uncomfortable to even notice.

I think that's true, I was only explaining what I think the point of the video was.
He was very creepy. He went up to a complete stranger and started complementing her. That just reeks of desperation. He probably says that to every girl who comes in the door.

Then how do you do it?

Also I read somewhere the infamous nerd meme guy on the left has a wife now.

http://i.imgur.com/CUkrhl.jpg
Then how do you do it?

Talk to them like they're a human being rather than a piece of meat in a butcher's shop window?
Talk to them like they're a human being rather than a piece of meat in a butcher's shop window?

How do you do that then? Even is you say Hi they think you're creepy.

Plus I don't think giving them a compliment is creepy.
How do you do that then? Even is you say Hi they think you're creepy.

Plus I don't think giving them a compliment is creepy.

here's a great rule of thumb: don't say anything to a girl in the first five minutes that you wouldn't say to a guy. If you start out with cheesy complements and flirty remarks, it comes across as really desperate and creepy.

It depends how you say hi. If you just barrel across the room and interrupt their conversation to say hi for no apparent reason, that's a bit weird. Its too obvious that you're trying to hit on them.

Always catch a girls eye first and smile. If she doesn't smile back, she's not interested. If she does, you can go and say hi and she will almost certainly be receptive and friendly.

Of course, the same applies in reverse. Quite often if you look around the room whilst you're chatting with your mate, you will find girls catching your eye and smiling at you. If you smile back, they will often come and say hi: alternately, volunteer to by the next round and go to the bar: they will often say hi at the bar (its less intimidating for them rather than approaching a group of guys).
here's a great rule of thumb: don't say anything to a girl in the first five minutes that you wouldn't say to a guy. If you start out with cheesy complements and flirty remarks, it comes across as really desperate and creepy.

It depends how you say hi. If you just barrel across the room and interrupt their conversation to say hi for no apparent reason, that's a bit weird. Its too obvious that you're trying to hit on them.

Always catch a girls eye first and smile. If she doesn't smile back, she's not interested. If she does, you can go and say hi and she will almost certainly be receptive and friendly.

Of course, the same applies in reverse. Quite often if you look around the room whilst you're chatting with your mate, you will find girls catching your eye and smiling at you. If you smile back, they will often come and say hi: alternately, volunteer to by the next round and go to the bar: they will often say hi at the bar (its less intimidating for them rather than approaching a group of guys).

Sh*t, I thought that girl smiling at me on the bus meant something.

Thanks for this I guess.
I think perhaps what is happening here is that you have a flawed understanding of what comes across as weird and creepy in real life situations.

Those guys were probably being genuinely creepy and weird, you just didn't notice it.

Its fine, its takes most people a while to figure this out. With practice, you will learn. Ask girls why they thought someone was being creepy.

I met a young lady, we went for a drink, I was a perfect gent, on my way home I got a call from her boyfriend! The guy who apparently didn't exist, he was none too pleased so I simply said she told me she was available, the next and last time I spoke to her she said I was creepy! Wtf?

Quick Reply

Latest