The Student Room Group

Is it safe to go to London?

With all the terror threats of Paris, and high terror alerts elsewhere, I'm scared to go to London because of the bombings.

I just don't want to be on the tube when some lunatic blows themselves up next to me.

I've only got to go to London for a couple of hours, but I'm worrying over my safety.

And if you say, it'll be fine, you really don't know. Just look at all of those French people who thought nothing like the attack would happen, and then it did happen and they died.

How do you even go outside your door if you live in London now?

Scroll to see replies

Nope. Avoid and stay safe.
Reply 2
Original post by John T

I open my front door and step outside. That's how.
I'd better stay indoors and cry myself to sleep.
Reply 4
Nope. There's a hundred murders every year, hundreds killed or injured on the roads, thousands more are victims of violent crime and countless others pick-pocketed, scammed, conned or robbed.

And it's smelly.

Oh, and a eensy-teensy tiny chance of being there on the same day as a terrorist incident and an even smaller one of being anywhere near it at the time.

The biggest risk are the lunatic cyclists. They're lethal.
Tbh, we don't need any more gimps standing on the left, so yeah, don't come.
Reply 6
Original post by John T
With all the terror threats of Paris, and high terror alerts elsewhere, I'm scared to go to London because of the bombings.

I just don't want to be on the tube when some lunatic blows themselves up next to me.

I've only got to go to London for a couple of hours, but I'm worrying over my safety.

And if you say, it'll be fine, you really don't know. Just look at all of those French people who thought nothing like the attack would happen, and then it did happen and they died.

I was in central London today (and I survived). Saw a few more police about and a few police vans parked up here and there but otherwise it was just like any other day in London, families out, joggers, cyclists etc.

I do hear you but really anything can happen anywhere. I refuse to be held captive.

Unless there is a specific warning to avoid somewhere I shall just carry on.
Reply 7
Hey, you guys are alright.
Don't go to London this month.
Will update with news later.
There is danger everywhere you go. Even just staying at home you could argue "what if my boiler blows up and kills me, what if my ceiling caves in, what if the stove catches fire".

Life is just one big bloody risk so what's the point worrying about it? Just get on with your life because you're constantly at risk, one way or another. If you don't do anything or go anywhere because you're scared of a vague, broad, totally unpredictable danger, it's just a huge waste.

That's the mentality my mum emphasised to me after I was a wee lad terrified after the 7/7 bombings. I've continued using public transport all over London since then and I'm still alive so eh. Get on with it.
Reply 9
i live in London, I refuse to be outside other than if I was going to school and even then I rush home and avoid the tube if possible but I have to take it :frown:

My mum doesn't get my panic, she just goes out like normal and the people look normal, kids out and stuff - it doesn't look like a warzone or anything, no extra police everywhere and stuff. But I'm still scared

I don't wanna die man - I wanna go to uni and get married and live T_T , it's not 7:30 yet in Atlanta, we'll have to wait and see if ISIS carry out their threats...

Maybe I'm a bit TOO paranoid but you don't know what they can do man...
Original post by z33
i live in London, I refuse to be outside other than if I was going to school and even then I rush home and avoid the tube if possible but I have to take it :frown:

My mum doesn't get my panic, she just goes out like normal and the people look normal, kids out and stuff - it doesn't look like a warzone or anything, no extra police everywhere and stuff. But I'm still scared

I don't wanna die man - I wanna go to uni and get married and live T_T , it's not 7:30 yet in Atlanta, we'll have to wait and see if ISIS carry out their threats...

Maybe I'm a bit TOO paranoid but you don't know what they can do man...

omg z33, stay safe :frown:
I couldn't be arsed with London even if the terror threat was zero. Why would I want to go miles and miles underground where it's hot and packed with people to be crammed into a metal box like sardines and then go miles and miles back up where it's just as packed and you have to pay 10X as much for everything? I'd rather drive my car through the countryside, go shopping in a local town, pay reasonable prices and not get home with other people's body odor clinging to the hairs in my nostrils.
I would not go to London for the foreseeable future personally, but I am aware that it is an overkill....
Reply 13
Original post by CoolCavy
omg z33, stay safe :frown:

I'll try :frown:

If nothing happens for a full week (no threats, no attacks) then I'll consider going into central again.
I went into London twice last week and have to go again on Tuesday for an interview. I would advise you're cautious but there's a lot of security at the moment and I didn't feel particularly safe however, I don't want to live in fear either so I just do what I have to do.
I wouldn't halt my plans because of ISIS , **** them i won't let them determine my life.
Reply 16
I am also going into London this week on the underground and I am also scared but I guess we can't be housebound forever and prevent ourselves from doing things :-(
Original post by vbreak2
Hey, you guys are alright.
Don't go to London this month.
Will update with news later.

Are you a terrorist? This sounds quite ominous :/
I'm going for an interview on the 9th and I'm a bit nervous about this actually as I've schedules to spend the whole day in London, not just stay for the interview. My train tickets mean I have to stay there for 9 hours.
I would say just go there, no where is really safe, by you even contemplating whether to go or not is letting the pig ****ers win, just go to London and enjoy yourself for the few hours you are going to be there. By going to London and doing what you have planned to do is basically sticking two fingers up at the pig ****ers and saying "go **** yourselves" which is what everyone should be doing. Anyway the Britain is slightly safer than the main land Europe as we are an island and we have a been security service (slightly- could be a lot better if they killed or deported the suspected terrorists/supporters - preferably kill them though) and the police are better slightly too so there will be slightly less chance of anything happening

If it your time then its your time and there is nothing you can do about it, we all have to go at some point and if it is then then it is your destiny

Quick Reply

Latest