The Student Room Group

Am I Cambridge material?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Paralove
Exactly! My insurance was Southampton; I also applied to Exeter and Bristol (though Bristol was to fill up space - I'm from there but wanted to move away from home). I was never convinced I would get into Cambridge, but alas here I am and I would have hated myself if I hadn't even tried.

I've heard sooo many good things about Southampton :smile: Was it the same course?

My firm is Cardiff and my insurance is Aberystwyth. Either way I have work experience, an interesting course, get to learn Welsh and both unis 'feel' right. Not a bad position to be in :tongue:
Hmm not so rare as you think. Sure, you need to do well, but the 90%/95% things that get quoted a lot are merely averages - people get scores both above and below this. It's not only extenuating circumstances, but school type and other factors that are taken into account too; it is a holistic process.

Maybe for Arts subjects - Looking at the admissions statistics, it's very uncommon at all for STEM, medicine and other proper subjects.
Original post by Cadherin
Maybe for Arts subjects - Looking at the admissions statistics, it's very uncommon at all for STEM, medicine and other proper subjects.

Understandably - the more objective nature of those subjects makes it easier, in a sense, to get top scores.
Original post by emiloujess
I've heard sooo many good things about Southampton :smile: Was it the same course?

My firm is Cardiff and my insurance is Aberystwyth. Either way I have work experience, an interesting course, get to learn Welsh and both unis 'feel' right. Not a bad position to be in :tongue:

It was quite different actually - a hell of a lot less literature than I'm doing here, but actually I'm really enjoying the lit side of things for the most part.

And nope, not at all! It's funny, at the moment my sister's top choice is Southampton - still waiting on an offer from them.
Understandably - the more objective nature of those subjects makes it easier, in a sense, to get top scores.

I agree. Although, in terms of knowledge and understanding, sciences and mathematics generally tend to be more difficult disciplines in general.

Also, subjectivity can play into a candidate's hands when essay-writing in English, for example.
It was quite different actually - a hell of a lot less literature than I'm doing here, but actually I'm really enjoying the lit side of things for the most part.

And nope, not at all! It's funny, at the moment my sister's top choice is Southampton - still waiting on an offer from them.

Ah right! I'm so envious of you for having done the UCAS and painfully long wait for exam results haha :smile:

Best of luck to your sister - what does she want to do? :smile:
Original post by emiloujess
Ah right! I'm so envious of you for having done the UCAS and painfully long wait for exam results haha :smile:

Best of luck to your sister - what does she want to do? :smile:

It is so not fun... and she's applying for joint psychology and criminology.
It is so not fun... and she's applying for joint psychology and criminology.

I know :'( Oh that's the course I was going to apply for right up until May 8th :tongue:
Reply 48

Oh FFS
Original post by Don Joiner
From these replies I'm getting the vibe that I am indeed not Cambridge material

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is this to show off or what because you are not the only person ever to have achieved good grades? The answer : No you are not Cambridge material anymore because you clearly don't have the mental capacity to tell that your results so far would put you within the realms of having a chance at Cambridge. Bad luck mate, better luck next time. Why show off? Unfortunately you need 6 A*s or more at AS level and then 4+ A***s at A2 to get into Cambridge as well as 9 months work experience in that given subject. Oh and you need to be a sporting god. Maybe try a different uni, Durham maybe.
Reply 50

Is Law a "proper subject"?

Screen Shot 2015-11-22 at 22.57.40.jpg

Number offered with <90 is significantly more than "uncommon".
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 51

And while I'm about it - here's Maths. Again not uncommon to have <90.

Screen Shot 2015-11-22 at 23.00.32.jpg

As you were saying...?
Original post by jneill
Is Law a "proper subject"?

Screen Shot 2015-11-22 at 22.57.40.jpg

Number offered with <90 is significantly more than "uncommon".

Yes, as they like science and maths A-levels as much as essay subjects!

I'm surprised - like medicine, engineering, natural sciences and maths, law is an incredibly competitive field.

Are those UMS scores for all applicants or successful applicants? I can't seem to download the image.

With maths, they're looking for 95+ in maths and further maths - the other subject is irrelevant really.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 53

I'm not surprised - like medicine, engineering, natural sciences and maths, law is an incredibly competitive field.

And yet they offered, in total, more students with <90, than >95

Sure your chances statistically improve with higher UMS, but the point is it's not the only factor, AND it's not - as you said - uncommon to offer candidates below 90 average UMS..
Reply 54

I'm surprised - like medicine, engineering, natural sciences and maths, law is an incredibly competitive field.

Are those UMS scores for all applicants or successful applicants? I can't seem to download the image.

With maths, they're looking for 95+ in maths and further maths - the other subject is irrelevant really.

That's why I picked Law. There's more to it than just UMS averages of averages.

Here's the entire file:
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/ums_attainment_at_as-level_of_applicants_by_subject_and_offer_status.pdf
Reply 55

I note you edited your "I'm not surprised..." to "I'm surprised..." :wink:

Anyway, Maths is more about the interview and then STEP. They can afford to be more generous.

Again, the point is IT'S MORE THAN A BLANKET STATEMENT SAYING SOMEONE NEEDS MORE THAN 90 UMS.

Hopefully, even if you don't agree, some future candidate will get it...

Let's leave the decisions to the ATs instead of trying to dissuade potential good candidates. (The OP excluded - they are likely just trolling.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending