The Student Room Group

Where can I get a job at 15?

Hi,

This will be my first post on the student room, anyway, I am 15 years old living near Ladbroke Grove and I want to get a job! I've been looking all over the internet but I can't seem to find anything. All I found was job offers for university students or for teens over 18. I would be a paperboy but that is rare in West London and I would work at a local corner shop but I am afraid that the people who come will just take advantage stealing everything and I'll be in the middle of it.

I want a job where it is close to me and can earn me some good cash that I will be saving up for when i'm older.

Thanks,
El_lanzo

Scroll to see replies

I'm facing the same problem... But I think it should be easier once I'm 16.
Try asking your parents if they know anybody who could give you a job, maybe even ask your teachers or careers advisor if u have one
PS. please give me some rep
how about babysitting ?
Waitrose take you at 15
Reply 4
Original post by the bear
how about babysitting ?

Babysitting for me would be alright if I wasn't too awkward. It's not that I don't like kids but it's just I prefer to get a job that I like doing. But thank you for the suggestion! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Minionmum
Waitrose take you at 15

I would prefer if I do not work at a supermarket or local corner shop, but thanks for the suggestion! :smile:
Reply 6
Right now, I'm selling cookies at my school, but, it does come with consequences which could be a Friday/Saturday detention. You have to be very careful and if I do decide to sell I would have to wake up early in the morning to get the stock. Also I get really stressed easilybecause a tcher might jump out of no where and refer me to my head of year which is not helpful.
Reply 7
If there are any paperboy jobs in west london I would definitely do it. Just send me the link and I will check it out.
Original post by El_lanzo
I would prefer if I do not work at a supermarket or local corner shop, but thanks for the suggestion! :smile:

If you change your mind about Waitrose they pay £7.05 an hour - you get the same hourly rate as an adult - and they pay over £10 an hour on a sunday - at 15 they don't usually put you on the tills - you are usually put on replenishment ie- shelf filling or trolley collections - and you get an annual bonus - my son got £450 bonus last year and my daughter £600 as they did extra shifts over the summer and Christmas - good luck - hope you find something -
Reply 9
If you change your mind about Waitrose they pay £7.05 an hour - you get the same hourly rate as an adult - and they pay over £10 an hour on a sunday - at 15 they don't usually put you on the tills - you are usually put on replenishment ie- shelf filling or trolley collections - and you get an annual bonus - my son got £450 bonus last year and my daughter £600 as they did extra shifts over the summer and Christmas - good luck - hope you find something -

WOW! £7 an hour is not bad and is maybe too much for me at my age ^^
I will definitely give it a go and hopefully I will stick to what I have been saying and not get lazy.
Thanks! :smile:
WOW! £7 an hour is not bad and is maybe too much for me at my age ^^
I will definitely give it a go and hopefully I will stick to what I have been saying and not get lazy.
Thanks! :smile:

If you do decide to apply set aside a good amount of time to do the on-line assessment - that is the first stage - there are lots of customer service focus questions such as "a customer comes back to the store and complains about a sandwich that he bought for his lunch - he brings back the half eaten sandwich but does not have a receipt do you a - give him a refund
b give him a refund and a new sandwich - c - tell him there is nothing you can do as he has eaten half of it - the answer is b - as its all about customer service - and there are also questions about supporting your fellow worker - as you are all "partners" and you should be prepared to help and encourage each other and help out in the store when needed - there is a waitrose thread on here that will give you loads of help - the only other thing to mention is that you must log in and check your application and status daily - as sometimes they dont send you an email saying that you have passed the online assessment, so you have to log in to find this out and you only have 2 days or so to reply before your application is cancelled (this happened to my daughters friend) - good luck - if you do decide to go for it and get a job there it looks great on your CV and your personal statement.
Reply 11
If you do decide to apply set aside a good amount of time to do the on-line assessment - that is the first stage - there are lots of customer service focus questions such as "a customer comes back to the store and complains about a sandwich that he bought for his lunch - he brings back the half eaten sandwich but does not have a receipt do you a - give him a refund
b give him a refund and a new sandwich - c - tell him there is nothing you can do as he has eaten half of it - the answer is b - as its all about customer service - and there are also questions about supporting your fellow worker - as you are all "partners" and you should be prepared to help and encourage each other and help out in the store when needed - there is a waitrose thread on here that will give you loads of help - the only other thing to mention is that you must log in and check your application and status daily - as sometimes they dont send you an email saying that you have passed the online assessment, so you have to log in to find this out and you only have 2 days or so to reply before your application is cancelled (this happened to my daughters friend) - good luck - if you do decide to go for it and get a job there it looks great on your CV and your personal statement.

Hi,
Thanks for the advice! I just finished completing the first application and I'm waiting for them to contact me via email. But, I'm not sure if I applied to the right one. I signed up on this site "http://jlpjobs.com/apprenticeships/waitrose-retail-apprenticeship/", is this the right one?
Work behind the scenes at Jim will fix it.
Hi,

This will be my first post on the student room, anyway, I am 15 years old living near Ladbroke Grove and I want to get a job! I've been looking all over the internet but I can't seem to find anything. All I found was job offers for university students or for teens over 18. I would be a paperboy but that is rare in West London and I would work at a local corner shop but I am afraid that the people who come will just take advantage stealing everything and I'll be in the middle of it.

I want a job where it is close to me and can earn me some good cash that I will be saving up for when i'm older.

Thanks,
El_lanzo
Hi,
Thanks for the advice! I just finished completing the first application and I'm waiting for them to contact me via email. But, I'm not sure if I applied to the right one. I signed up on this site "http://jlpjobs.com/apprenticeships/waitrose-retail-apprenticeship/", is this the right one?

That's a full-time 39h/w apprenticeship scheme :/

You want to look out for available positions at http://jlpjobs.com/partnership-jobs/waitrose/ or just go and ask in your nearest store if they have any positions available.

Most retail stores have finished their hiring burst by now (they usually need more people around Sept/Oct), so good luck :h:
Reply 14
Original post by Alexion
That's a full-time 39h/w apprenticeship scheme :/

You want to look out for available positions at http://jlpjobs.com/partnership-jobs/waitrose/ or just go and ask in your nearest store if they have any positions available.

Most retail stores have finished their hiring burst by now (they usually need more people around Sept/Oct), so good luck :h:

Damn. I've already filled out the application for the other link i posted.
I'm still very confused about the application process.. Do you mind if you can give me instructions on what to do.
Original post by the bear
how about babysitting ?

There seems to be a bit of bias against teen guys in that department. T(w)een girls are more trusted, and are much more likely to do regular babysitting in my experience.
Just google waitrose jobs and it will be at the top of the search results - jlpjobs.com/partnership-jobs/waitrose-jobs
Reply 17
Original post by AdjectiveNoun
There seems to be a bit of bias against teen guys in that department. T(w)een girls are more trusted, and are much more likely to do regular babysitting in my experience.

sucks but it's true
soz to all the kid-loving helpful trustable guys out there :/
#feminismStrikesAgain
Yeah same, i want a job too but atm i'm focusing on my GCSE's and when I go to college, I'll get a part time job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Waitrose take you at 15

Hi,

Having worked closing with a PCM on various projects, I can confirm that you need to be of 'school leaving age' which is 16, to apply for a job at Waitrose.

This is due to the legalities and limitations of having a 'young worker' employed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending