The Student Room Group

What does this girl mean? I'm ****ing clueless

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jenx301
Christianity is not a religion? aRe YoU fOr ReAl :rofl:

Now I see, you're a troll.

A religion is a story, a narrative, a collection of beliefs, rules, written many years ago with symbols etc. But Christianity is more than that, Christianity is about the current relationship with God. It isnt just about stories that occured in the past a thousand years ago, it is about the stories and experiences we undergo now. You may not listen/agree to that, but that was the point he was making, so accept it or move on.

OP if all she talks about is God God God then she seems to be pretty serious about her faith. Try to talk about other things that may relate to that e.g Christian societys, or praying for countries around the world. Then develop it into a deep conversation about other things. You said you wanna know about her, well appreciate that atm God is clearly important to her. Maybe you could also ask how she became christian, if her family are also christian, then move the conversation away from that and unto you guys' uni life etc like how she is finding uni and so on.

A conversation is meant to be between two people, if she has control of it then she isnt really letting you have your say which isnt fair. You should be able to have some sort of input that can sway the direction of the conversation.

Feel free to ask more questions, it would be my pleasure to help :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Us christians, we don't see ourselves as a religion, we are following God.

People on this site come out with the most stupid **** I s2g
Original post by angelcake123
A religion is a story, a narrative, a collection of beliefs, rules, written many years ago with symbols etc. But Christianity is more than that, Christianity is about the current relationship with God. It isnt just about stories that occured in the past a thousand years ago, it is about the stories and experiences we undergo now. You may not listen/agree to that, but that was the point he was making, so accept it or move on.

OP if all she talks about is God God God then she seems to be pretty serious about her faith. Try to talk about other things that may relate to that e.g Christian societys, or praying for countries around the world. Then develop it into a deep conversation about other things. You said you wanna know about her, well appreciate that atm God is clearly important to her. Maybe you could also ask how she became christian, if her family are also christian, then move the conversation away from that and unto you guys' uni life etc like how she is finding uni and so on.

A conversation is meant to be between two people, if she has control of it then she isnt really letting you have your say which isnt fair. You should be able to have some sort of input that can sway the direction of the conversation.

Feel free to ask more questions, it would be my pleasure to help :smile:

No, This best describes religion

"A religion is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to an order of existence. Many religions have narratives, symbols, and sacred histories that aim to explain the meaning of life, the origin of life, or the Universe. From their beliefs about the cosmos and human nature, people may derive morality, ethics, religious laws, or a preferred lifestyle."

Christianity falls under this definition, and is thus a religion. Current human experiences with God does not fall outside that definition, as one has their religion as a guide for how to live their lives. Christianity isn't some special religion that takes great interest in current experiences as much as sacred stories anyway, it's just the same as any other Abrahamic religion.

We do talk about other things and we have shared our personal issues, she has cried to my face about her deepest secrets and that what made her turn to christ. I would say we are close but as i said, i'm having trouble telling her my feelings and wanting to be more than friends. I want to say i like her but is too soon to say it to her when i have only known her for two months
Original post by Danz123
No, This best describes religion

"A religion is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to an order of existence. Many religions have narratives, symbols, and sacred histories that aim to explain the meaning of life, the origin of life, or the Universe. From their beliefs about the cosmos and human nature, people may derive morality, ethics, religious laws, or a preferred lifestyle."

Christianity falls under this definition, and is thus a religion. Current human experiences with God does not fall outside that definition, as one has their religion as a guide for how to live their lives. Christianity isn't some special religion that takes great interest in current experiences as much as sacred stories anyway, it's just the same as any other Abrahamic religion.

Lol. If you actually read what I said, you would realise I made many similar points to the definiton you provided. I am able to say that Christianity is more than that because I have experienced Christianity... and it is more than that. I cant just tell a Muslim what Islam is because of some definition stated on the internet. My definition of Christianity comes from my experience intertwined with what a Christian is meant to be, following what the bible says. As I said, I know you and others wont agree with me, so accept that and move on. Help the OP rather than taking over the thread and turning it into a pointless religious debate.
This is all @vbreak2 fault for making this thread a sexuality debate :rant:
We do talk about other things and we have shared our personal issues, she has cried to my face about her deepest secrets and that what made her turn to christ. I would say we are close but as i said, i'm having trouble telling her my feelings and wanting to be more than friends. I want to say i like her but is too soon to say it to her when i have only known her for two months

Well if you guys talk about other things then I'm struggling to see the problem :s-smilie:. If you guys are close, then maybe you should let her know. The closer you get, the more friendzoned you may be and thus, the harder it is to admit your true feelings. Right now it looks like you arent sure where you are meant to be, you kinda seem unstable.

You said you have a weak relationship with God and you wanna be stronger? So maybe ask her for help but honestly if it seems like a brainwashing church that isnt good :s-smilie: Do you have any other Christian friends that could help? See what their opinion is. I'm sure you can get closer to her in another way than church, theres always a way.

Hope that helps.
Lol. If you actually read what I said, you would realise I made many similar points to the definiton you provided. I am able to say that Christianity is more than that because I have experienced Christianity... and it is more than that. I cant just tell a Muslim what Islam is because of some definition stated on the internet. My definition of Christianity comes from my experience intertwined with what a Christian is meant to be, following what the bible says. As I said, I know you and others wont agree with me, so accept that and move on. Help the OP rather than taking over the thread and turning it into a pointless religious debate.

To be fair that just seems like your personal experience of Christianity, and how you live your life using it as a guide, so it does come under the definition, where it says 'preferred lifestyle' and how we derive certain codes of ethics, morals, practices, etc. All that is how you practice your religion and thus your personal experiences because of practicing it your way. That doesn't fall outside the definition though. I agree that people will have their own interpretations of how they follow their religion, some literalist and others just cherry picking and being more laid back. Although I will say that I've never heard someone say 'Christianity is not a religion'. That's a different question. Islam, Christianity, Judaism, they're all Abrahamic religions. That's just a fact. HOW you practice it and what the religions themselves mean to you is of course more subjective.

I wasn't debating btw, just stating a fact.
This is all @vbreak2 fault for making this thread a sexuality debate :rant:

It was your own fault for saying you were against homosexuality.
Original post by Danz123
To be fair that just seems like your personal experience of Christianity, and how you live your life using it as a guide, so it does come under the definition, where it says 'preferred lifestyle' and how we derive certain codes of ethics, morals, practices, etc. All that is how you practice your religion and thus your personal experiences because of practicing it your way. That doesn't fall outside the definition though. I agree that people will have their own interpretations of how they follow their religion, some literalist and others just cherry picking and being more laid back. Although I will say that I've never heard someone say 'Christianity is not a religion'. That's a different question. Islam, Christianity, Judaism, they're all Abrahamic religions. That's just a fact. HOW you practice it and what the religions themselves mean to you is of course more subjective.

I wasn't debating btw, just stating a fact.

I could also say the Bible is a fact (as many of it has been proven) but of course many wouldnt agree. Many 'facts' can contradict each other. But anyways thanks for your viewpoint, it was interesting to read :redface: Im just gonna agree to disagree for the sake of OP and also for the sake that it is 2am :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Well if you guys talk about other things then I'm struggling to see the problem :s-smilie:. If you guys are close, then maybe you should let her know. The closer you get, the more friendzoned you may be and thus, the harder it is to admit your true feelings. Right now it looks like you arent sure where you are meant to be, you kinda seem unstable.

You said you have a weak relationship with God and you wanna be stronger? So maybe ask her for help but honestly if it seems like a brainwashing church that isnt good :s-smilie: Do you have any other Christian friends that could help? See what their opinion is. I'm sure you can get closer to her in another way than church, theres always a way.

Hope that helps.

Can i ask a question unrelated, what do you think about churches that move in a cult/brainwashing movement? i sometimes think thats the only way that people become close to God
Original post by James Milibanter
It was your own fault for saying you were against homosexuality.

Ed Miliband can you please stop it. We all have opinions. Deal with it
Ed Miliband can you please stop it. We all have opinions. Deal with it

So you do admit that you are against homosexuality and are therefore a homophobe?
I could also say the Bible is a fact (as many of it has been proven) but of course many wouldnt agree. Many 'facts' can contradict each other. But anyways thanks for your viewpoint, it was interesting to read :redface: Im just gonna agree to disagree for the sake of OP and also for the sake that it is 2am :smile:

Huh? That's not even remotely the same thing... the bible has MANY contradictions. You could state the bible is a fact, but this would imply that everything in the bible is a fact... and this can't be true given the fact of said contradictions firstly, and because much of it has been proven false, not true. It's not a matter of agreement or disagreement here tbh.

We can agree to disagree of course, your religion (wait, you don't think it's a religion... um, Christianity) is very important to you, and I'm an atheist. I respect that, what I will say to move away from this subject is that from what I've seen around TSR you're a lovely person. :tongue:
Original post by James Milibanter
So you do admit that you are against homosexuality and are therefore a homophobe?

I can't really call myself homophobic when i have friends/worked with people who are gay?

I never ever insulted them and questioned them, all i ever said in occassions is 'its your choice and i'm cool with it'
Can i ask a question unrelated, what do you think about churches that move in a cult/brainwashing movement? i sometimes think thats the only way that people become close to God

I dont agree with it. Cults are viewed upon negatively in the Bible. Jesus acknowledges fake preachers and
advises to be wary and not disillusioned. Brainwashing just reminds me of the way terrorists work to deceive innocent vulnerable people. Christianity is supposed to be a choice. God says we should come to Him as a choice, not through force or being compelled to and that is why He gave us free will :smile: I dont think its the only way people can come close to God. I think there are a billion ways people can come close to God. :smile:
I can't really call myself homophobic when i have friends/worked with people who are gay?

I never ever insulted them and questioned them, all i ever said in occassions is 'its your choice and i'm cool with it'

In that case, you probably aren't and my advice to you would be to not go around saying stuff like "I am against homosexuality"
Original post by Danz123
Huh? That's not even remotely the same thing... the bible has MANY contradictions. You could state the bible is a fact, but this would imply that everything in the bible is a fact... and this can't be true given the fact of said contradictions firstly, and because much of it has been proven false, not true. It's not a matter of agreement or disagreement here tbh.

We can agree to disagree of course, your religion (wait, you don't think it's a religion... um, Christianity) is very important to you, and I'm an atheist. I respect that, what I will say to move away from this subject is that from what I've seen around TSR you're a lovely person. :tongue:

Please can we move on, I feel really sorry for OP :frown: I always avoid religious 'discussions' like this because it gets nowhere. And aw thanks. Wait omg please tell me that isnt sarcasm :'(
Please can we move on, I feel really sorry for OP :frown: I always avoid religious 'discussions' like this because it gets nowhere. And aw thanks. Wait omg please tell me that isnt sarcasm :'(

lol I don't feel that sorry for OP considering he's homophobic and has already gotten advice tbh. But yeah it's his thread so we shouldn't go off on a tangent. Religious discussions are valuable but most people don't want to concede ground around that topic so no one hears anyone out really.

Nope. I was being genuine. I do think you're very sweet. haha :cool:
Original post by Danz123
lol I don't feel that sorry for OP considering he's homophobic and has already gotten advice tbh. But yeah it's his thread so we shouldn't go off on a tangent. Religious discussions are valuable but most people don't want to concede ground around that topic so no one hears anyone out really.

Nope. I was being genuine. I do think you're very sweet. haha :cool:

He didnt seem like he actively detestes homosexual people. He was just saying he doesnt agree with it. And yeah exactly. And yeah thats true :redface: Idk I just dont think theres any benefit from doing it? Idk thats just me :redface:

Aww omg thanks yay:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending