The Student Room Group

Lower predicted grades than my AS results

I'm in a bit of trouble. I had already completed and sent the UCAS application form with my 5 choices (AAB - ABB), however my predicted grades have completley destroyed these choices. I got a high B in economics and a B in english lang for AS, but both my economics teacher and english language teacher have predicted me a C, lowering my grades from A*BB to A*CC which as you can guess has screwed me over real bad. I don't have a bad relationship with these teachers at all, but I need to know if this is even allowed? To predict me a lower grade than what I got?

I haven't talked to my economics teacher yet but my english teacher (who is head of department) has said that im lucky that I didn't get predicted a D. I'm really not sure how to approach this, a complaint? Inform UCAS that i need to change my choices?
Original post by Sebastian75
I'm in a bit of trouble. I had already completed and sent the UCAS application form with my 5 choices (AAB - ABB), however my predicted grades have completley destroyed these choices. I got a high B in economics and a B in english lang for AS, but both my economics teacher and english language teacher have predicted me a C, lowering my grades from A*BB to A*CC which as you can guess has screwed me over real bad. I don't have a bad relationship with these teachers at all, but I need to know if this is even allowed? To predict me a lower grade than what I got?

I haven't talked to my economics teacher yet but my english teacher (who is head of department) has said that im lucky that I didn't get predicted a D. I'm really not sure how to approach this, a complaint? Inform UCAS that i need to change my choices?

Did your English teacher say why you only deserved a C prediction (bordering on a D)? For example, did they say that your A2 work was atrocious or that you hadn't handed in your essays? If not, then their decision is perverse. To drop from a B to a C would mean you getting a low C or even a D at A2; to fall to a D, which they imply you deserve, would mean you virtually failing A2.

In any case, you probably need to speak to the head of your sixth form urgently. If they agree that your predicted grades are incorrect, then you need to inform your five choices directly.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Did your English teacher say why you only deserved a C prediction (bordering on a D)? For example, did they say that your A2 work was atrocious or that you hadn't handed in your essays? If not, then their decision is perverse. To drop from a B to a C would mean you getting a low C or even a D at A2; to fall to a D, which they imply you deserve, would mean you virtually failing A2.

In any case, you probably need to speak to the head of your sixth form urgently. If they agree that your predicted grades are incorrect, then you need to inform your five choices directly.

No, nothing about atrocious, I was getting Cs in the beginning of the term but now I'm up to Bs and As with my assigned work for English. She just said something along the lines of me not being able to pull through this year and that her giving me a C was a benefit of the doubt when I infact deserved a D, since I 'fluked' AS English according to her.

I'll talk to my head of 6th form tomorrow. Do you think this will seriosuly affect my 5 choices with considering me?
Reply 3
That really sucks, good luck. Unfortunately my parents wouldn't be the supportive type in this situation as they'd believe I did something severly wrong if an established ogranisation such as my school predicts me underachieving. I'm not the distractive kid in class and I hand in my assignments on time, it just sucks that I might have to aim lower now university and career wise.
If it makes you feel better I left college, still used my tutor as my UCAS referee and she sent the uni saying I got Ds.

I got A* and As.

It looks like I really lied on my application and I was almost withdrawn because she didn't check what she told them.

Speak to somebody now and see what you can do to make them better :biggrin:
I am in a similar situation though not with UCAS. I got a B at AS (2 UMS from an A) and one of my Psychology teachers (the better one) put down an A on my UCAS application. Then Mum got my subject review letter (basically a school report) and my OTHER Psychology teacher had predicted me a C which led to her accusing me of lying to her! I've asked my friends and they said that she may have used my prediction from last year but that was a D so even that makes no sense. I'm so confused right now! :s-smilie:
Original post by Sebastian75
No, nothing about atrocious, I was getting Cs in the beginning of the term but now I'm up to Bs and As with my assigned work for English. She just said something along the lines of me not being able to pull through this year and that her giving me a C was a benefit of the doubt when I infact deserved a D, since I 'fluked' AS English according to her.

I'll talk to my head of 6th form tomorrow. Do you think this will seriosuly affect my 5 choices with considering me?

Sounds like bitterness?

Yes, your chances are being seriously affected!
Given my previous involvement with schools and the absolutely horrendous dealing's with the head of my son's former school nothing surprises me anymore. You really do need to get your parents involved although the school will probably close ranks. I sincerely hope the universities will overlook the predicted grades and go on ACTUAL results. I suspect many look at AS results as more accurate than predicted grades. In fact, the vice chancellor of Cambridge has argued against the government changes to AS removal in England for that very reason and this is why the Welsh assembly government are keeping them. Good luck and hopefully you will get somewhere.
Original post by swanseajack1
Given my previous involvement with schools and the absolutely horrendous dealing's with the head of my son's former school nothing surprises me anymore. You really do need to get your parents involved although the school will probably close ranks. I sincerely hope the universities will overlook the predicted grades and go on ACTUAL results. I suspect many look at AS results as more accurate than predicted grades. In fact, the vice chancellor of Cambridge has argued against the government changes to AS removal in England for that very reason and this is why the Welsh assembly government are keeping them. Good luck and hopefully you will get somewhere.

Sorry, very off tangent, the Welsh government are keeping AS Levels? Another reason to love Wales!! :biggrin:
Original post by emiloujess
Sorry, very off tangent, the Welsh government are keeping AS Levels? Another reason to love Wales!! :biggrin:

yes they are and this has been massively supported by the vice chancellor of Cambridge who is originally from Cardiff. It is because of his and other eminent advisers belief the WAG chose to keep them.
Original post by swanseajack1
yes they are and this has been massively supported by the vice chancellor of Cambridge who is originally from Cardiff. It is because of his and other eminent advisers belief the WAG chose to keep them.

:smile: I really want to go to University in Wales so I need to keep up with stuff like this. Thank you for mentioning it! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending