The Student Room Group

AS/A2 mock results Vs real exam results

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Mesosleepy
BBCU mock to AAAB real AS

I got very similar BBBA to AAAD, I have a suspicion that in my centre in particular they mark mocks more harshly than the exam board in order to boost grades at the end of the year.
Reply 61
A levels are different this year. Last year you could mess up mocks but as long as you aced the actual AS results it was calm. Now it's all about predictions so you have to make a good impression
AS: BDUU to BBAD (respectively)
A2: BDU to AAB (respectively)

It's important to remember that even if your mocks go badly (or you're just lazy like me), you've got lots of time to prepare. Also, when your exams actually come up, you won't be trying to juggle regular homework/coursework with revision - most of your lessons will be almost entirely devoted to revision so you'll definitely have time to sit down with a teacher and target your weaknesses.
The most drastic changes were (Jan to May): i got a U in English Lit, I got to an A. And i got a U in Psychology (which I'm hopeless at) and i got to a C.
Original post by DBR247
I got very similar BBBA to AAAD, I have a suspicion that in my centre in particular they mark mocks more harshly than the exam board in order to boost grades at the end of the year.

My school uses the general grade boundaries for the mocks. e.g. 50% - D, 60% - C, 70% - B etc. May explain the low grades I got in the mocks.
Reply 65
Original post by ImagineCats
I've seen the GCSE one so I was wondering about AS/A2 grades? I've got my mocks coming up (bio,chem,German,geog) and I'm pretty scared about being kicked off the course- I'm someone who takes it easy to start with (ending now) and is motivated by the fear of failure leading up to exams.

Anyone went from a U in a mock to a B/A?? Help pls bare scared init

Also I just need someone to tell me to calm down and reassure me a little bit- I'm making myself ill :frown:

In mocks I got a U in chemistry, a U in biology, a U in maths, and a D in philospohy.
In my real exams I got a U in chemistry, a C in biology, a U in maths, and an A in philosophy.
Biology is the easiest of the sciences for me so i got a half way decent grade. Chemistry and maths I completley messed up on and now I'm stuck studyin Philosophy, which I hate.
I hardly did any revision at all, I didn't prioritize. Don't make the same mistakes as me, one of the biggest regrets of my life.
Reply 66
Original post by Alevelsarehard1
I have just done my first mocks today (chemistry) and have been told by members of staff at school that we will be kicked off the course if we don't get a D or above, which is quite scary. However I have also been told by other members of staff that if we fail, we just have or privileges taken away from us (leaving school during our frees). I assume this may be slightly different, depending on how strict your school is.

Gosh, your'e school sounds really strict. If they do anything like that though, I would definitely fight my corner if I was you, I don't think they have any actual right to do things like kick you off the course.
I went from a U in my chem mock to a B in the real AS exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z33
AS:

Mocks - ACDE (computing, biology, chemistry, physics)
Actual - BBCC (same order)

that computing paper was a ****ing bitch -_-
not particularly proud of my results but hey - I tried :smile:

AQA Computing? I've heard that the last question for that paper destroyed most people in the year above me >.<
Reply 69
Original post by patronusleviosa
AQA Computing? I've heard that the last question for that paper destroyed most people in the year above me >.<

lol no OCR
it wasn't even the last question
the whole paper destroyed us
one of the algorithm questions was an "in a high level language" one - and I hadn't programmed in Java since December X'D

[video="youtube;ryHBiJ5lkEw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryHBiJ5lkEw[/video]
Original post by ImagineCats
I've seen the GCSE one so I was wondering about AS/A2 grades? I've got my mocks coming up (bio,chem,German,geog) and I'm pretty scared about being kicked off the course- I'm someone who takes it easy to start with (ending now) and is motivated by the fear of failure leading up to exams.

Anyone went from a U in a mock to a B/A?? Help pls bare scared init

Also I just need someone to tell me to calm down and reassure me a little bit- I'm making myself ill :frown:

I got all A's in my as mocks and the real thing. Damn it feels good to be a gangster
Reply 71
Love these threads.

Subjects for AS: Maths, further Maths, Biology and Chemistry

Mocks; AABD respectively

Exam Results: AAAA respectively

Posted from TSR Mobile
Last year at AS I got As in my mocks for Human Biology and Psychology, we didn't do any for French. Came out with an A in French and Cs in the other two :smile:
I remember in year 11 when everyone in our maths set got an A* for their maths GCSE. Everyone continued with it for A levels

Then in AS the grades mock grades ranged from A-D. Our actual maths AS grades ranged from A-C. Now we got our year 13 mocks results 3 days ago and the **highest** grade was an E.

Maths is brutal when your teacher sucks. I really need to start putting in work.

The trend for my school is if you fail your mocks, you (usually) don't do well in your real exams. This year they introduced a system where you're thrown off the course if you get less than a D but clearly that didn't apply to our maths mock otherwise there wouldn't be anyone left to take the subject.

For everything else though, they're going through with it and throwing people off the course so people are actually revising for their mocks this time.

Personally, my mocks aren't a reflection on how well I end up doing (and that's not always a good thing). They just give me an indication of what I need to revise for later on.
Reply 74
well i want to die
mocks aaaac
real aabcc
actually shoot me
A2 Mocks
A* A E
Real results
A* A A
AS: AACU to AAAA

A2: A*A*A to the same (though one subject swapped for another with the grades).
December mocks BDEE (English Lit, History, Politics, RS respectively)
March mocks CEUU (Politics, English Lit, History, RS respectively)

The real thing

Spoiler

Original post by preetg97
In my AS mocks I got a U in Chemistry, a D in Biology, an A in Geography and a C in Psychology.
In the actual exams I got 4A's.

In my A2 mocks I got a E in Chemistry, a B in Biology and an A in Geography.
In the actual exams I got A, A* and A* respectively.

I wouldn't stress too much about how you do in your mocks because you can use them as motivation to do better in the real things, like I did. Getting E's and U's in Chemistry encouraged me to work through the year and I got an A overall :smile:
You'll be okay!

Hi, how did you go up to an A* in bio a level?

Quick Reply

Latest