The Student Room Group

Chronic Fatigue and Motivation for GCSE's

This is going to be a long post but please bear with if you think you can help!

I'm currently suffering from Chronic Fatigue (and I have for the past 4 years), I'm in Year 11 and have got my GCSE's coming up in the summer. I've cut down from the 8 GCSE's I was going to do, to 5 (English, Maths, Science, IT, RE) but I'm struggling to catch up as I've missed so much school.

Some times I am too tired and don't have the energy to revise but others I just don't have the motivation and/or can't really be bothered.

I'm really behind with Maths and Science and struggling with RE. I would really love to do well and get myself A's and B's if possible but I'm struggling with motivation, I find it impossible to sit down and get done what I need to and if I force myself I usually don't work hard enough and rush through it so it's over and done with.

My questions are:
How do you get motivated?
How do you pace yourself with revision with Chronic Fatigue?

Thank you for reading through this post, please give any help/ideas you have, it's really appreciated :smile:
Original post by mollpacker
I'm currently suffering from Chronic Fatigue (and I have for the past 4 years), I'm in Year 11 and have got my GCSE's coming up in the summer. I've cut down from the 8 GCSE's I was going to do, to 5 (English, Maths, Science, IT, RE) but I'm struggling to catch up as I've missed so much school. Some times I am too tired and don't have the energy to revise but others I just don't have the motivation and/or can't really be bothered. I'm really behind with Maths and Science and struggling with RE. I would really love to do well and get myself A's and B's if possible but I'm struggling with motivation, I find it impossible to sit down and get done what I need to and if I force myself I usually don't work hard enough and rush through it so it's over and done with. My questions are:
How do you pace yourself with revision with Chronic Fatigue?Answer me this: What grade are you on now in each subject? And: What grade do you want to get in each subject?
(edited 8 years ago)

I'm currently suffering from Chronic Fatigue (and I have for the past 4 years), I'm in Year 11 and have got my GCSE's coming up in the summer. I've cut down from the 8 GCSE's I was going to do, to 5 (English, Maths, Science, IT, RE) but I'm struggling to catch up as I've missed so much school.

Some times I am too tired and don't have the energy to revise but others I just don't have the motivation and/or can't really be bothered.

I'm really behind with Maths and Science and struggling with RE. I would really love to do well and get myself A's and B's if possible but I'm struggling with motivation, I find it impossible to sit down and get done what I need to and if I force myself I usually don't work hard enough and rush through it so it's over and done with.

My questions are:

Thank you for reading through this post, please give any help/ideas you have, it's really appreciated :smile:

Hey there, I myself am not a sufferer but a close friend taking her GCSE's is.

I would say that setting really little goals (ie one little section of a page in a textbook) within a set time period and try to be really strict with yourself on that. Work out when in the day you feel most well and concentrate best is and make the most of those times. Take lots of little breaks instead of really long ones as getting motivation again after a large period of time off is even more difficult. Work towards little rewards and be proud of what you achieve every day. Have some days (I do this about once a fortnight) as a complete rest day when you just do the things that make you feel happy. Look after your diet and try to sleep with a regular pattern. Picture your ultimate goal (imagine your results sheet with all the results you want, think about what you aim to do at college and university) for motivation, or ask a friend/family member to remind you to work/ask you how you've progressed in each little block of time. You could set reminders and timers on your phone to assist with this.

The key is really in planning (check out the TSR study planner) and pacing yourself. I hope this has helped, good luck!
English - B grade, would love an A
Science - C grade, want a B/A
Maths - C grade, possibly B grade
IT - A/A*, it's an online course so doesn't require a lot of revision etc
RE - B grade, would like an A grade !
OK so the aim is improvement from the current position but that you don't exactly need to achieve higher. Let's start with Maths/Science:
- What is your exam board for Science? How long are the exam papers (hours)?
- A maths paper should be about 1hr 45min. Start one at the back and see how long you last. Answer every question but if you get stuck, don't panic, just turn over and do the next question.
IT:
- What does this course involve? Staring at a screen for long periods of time is not going to help fatigue.
English:
- Which exam board? Are there any particular texts you are studying? Are we looking at Literature or Language here?
RE:
- any exams, if so what are they like?
I'm suffering from the same thing except I'm doing 13 GCSEs :frown: Believe me, you've got it easy
I didn't quite suffer from CFS, although I do now, but I had glandular fever which then led to CFS, you need to focus on one thing at a time, but remember that your health comes first, first thing to do is create a good place to study, not your bed as you will fall asleep! Then create a schedule of what you'll do and when (Put in nap time!), study for 40 minutes, then relax for 20 minutes, then do the same again.
If you're behind in RE then read books about the topics your doing, on articles online about them, read past papers and past answers to questions so that you know how to write them when the time comes.
But bare in mind that your health comes first, if you feel overwhelmed, relax. You should get extra consideration during your exams (hopefully) check with your school. To get motivated, get the app 'forest' if you have a phone which allows you to, this means that you can't go off the app until the timer counts down, it's really handy, then when you've finished that, have a snack or give yourself a treat!

Hope I was a little help, even if it wasn't much!

My questions are:

Reply 6
[QUOTE=TardigradeFan;60891963]Hey there, I myself am not a sufferer but a close friend taking her GCSE's is.

I would say that setting really little goals (ie one little section of a page in a textbook) within a set time period and try to be really strict with yourself on that. Work out when in the day you feel most well and concentrate best is and make the most of those times. Take lots of little breaks instead of really long ones as getting motivation again after a large period of time off is even more difficult. Work towards little rewards and be proud of what you achieve every day. Have some days (I do this about once a fortnight) as a complete rest day when you just do the things that make you feel happy. Look after your diet and try to sleep with a regular pattern. Picture your ultimate goal (imagine your results sheet with all the results you want, think about what you aim to do at college and university) for motivation, or ask a friend/family member to remind you to work/ask you how you've progressed in each little block of time. You could set reminders and timers on your phone to assist with this.

The key is really in planning (check out the TSR study planner) and pacing yourself. I hope this has helped, good luck!

Thank you for your tips, they're uber helpful !!
Reply 7
Original post by 04MR17
OK so the aim is improvement from the current position but that you don't exactly need to achieve higher. Let's start with Maths/Science:
- What is your exam board for Science? How long are the exam papers (hours)?
- A maths paper should be about 1hr 45min. Start one at the back and see how long you last. Answer every question but if you get stuck, don't panic, just turn over and do the next question.
IT:
- What does this course involve? Staring at a screen for long periods of time is not going to help fatigue.
English:
- Which exam board? Are there any particular texts you are studying? Are we looking at Literature or Language here?
RE:
- any exams, if so what are they like?

- AQA, I have 6 hour long exams Core Biology, Core Physics, Core Chemistry, Additional Biology, Additional Physics, Additional Chemistry
-My IT course involves learning, coursework and exams for 4 units. I only do hour lessons and usually go to catch up after school which is also and hour which I find helpful and not too draining.
-WJEC, I am studying Of Mice and Men and The Merchant of Venice. I have 3 controlled assessments which I need to catch up on but the teacher has set aside time for me and we have met after school and started on the MOV. Just language which is simple, I dropped literature.
-I think for RE it is just an hour exam which a mix of questions on war and peace, animal cruelty, discrimination etc. It's the short course.
Reply 8
[QUOTE=NellWatson;60959369]I didn't quite suffer from CFS, although I do now, but I had glandular fever which then led to CFS, you need to focus on one thing at a time, but remember that your health comes first, first thing to do is create a good place to study, not your bed as you will fall asleep! Then create a schedule of what you'll do and when (Put in nap time!), study for 40 minutes, then relax for 20 minutes, then do the same again.
If you're behind in RE then read books about the topics your doing, on articles online about them, read past papers and past answers to questions so that you know how to write them when the time comes.
But bare in mind that your health comes first, if you feel overwhelmed, relax. You should get extra consideration during your exams (hopefully) check with your school. To get motivated, get the app 'forest' if you have a phone which allows you to, this means that you can't go off the app until the timer counts down, it's really handy, then when you've finished that, have a snack or give yourself a treat!

Hope I was a little help, even if it wasn't much!

This was a LOT of help. I will take notes ! Ooh and I'm just downloading the forest app, thank you!
- AQA, I have 6 hour long exams Core Biology, Core Physics, Core Chemistry, Additional Biology, Additional Physics, Additional Chemistry
-My IT course involves learning, coursework and exams for 4 units. I only do hour lessons and usually go to catch up after school which is also and hour which I find helpful and not too draining.
-WJEC, I am studying Of Mice and Men and The Merchant of Venice. I have 3 controlled assessments which I need to catch up on but the teacher has set aside time for me and we have met after school and started on the MOV. Just language which is simple, I dropped literature.
-I think for RE it is just an hour exam which a mix of questions on war and peace, animal cruelty, discrimination etc. It's the short course.
OK. I can't help you on the science content (I did Edexcel) but the exam is only an hour. Try a paper (start at the back where all the big juicy questions are and get your teeth into them while you still have the energy (pardon the pun)), when you get too tired: stop. Then the next day or something, mark it and see what you got. Then after 3 or 4 days try another unit. Once you've done all the units (about 3 weeks) work out what you got in total. Then start all over again with a different paper, try and get further than last time and repeat (don't forget to eat sleep and rave though).
I'd spend a maximum of 2.5 hours on IT coursework a week. No more than half hour stints. And no going on TSR while you do it! The same applies for English coursework.
It' good that you've recognised that you need to drop Lit.
Of Mice and Men: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3620993 see the second post on here.
What will you be asked for Merchant of Venice?
Is there any preparation you could do for RE?
Reply 10
Original post by 04MR17
OK. I can't help you on the science content (I did Edexcel) but the exam is only an hour. Try a paper (start at the back where all the big juicy questions are and get your teeth into them while you still have the energy (pardon the pun)), when you get too tired: stop. Then the next day or something, mark it and see what you got. Then after 3 or 4 days try another unit. Once you've done all the units (about 3 weeks) work out what you got in total. Then start all over again with a different paper, try and get further than last time and repeat (don't forget to eat sleep and rave though).
I'd spend a maximum of 2.5 hours on IT coursework a week. No more than half hour stints. And no going on TSR while you do it! The same applies for English coursework.
It' good that you've recognised that you need to drop Lit.
Of Mice and Men: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3620993 see the second post on here.
What will you be asked for Merchant of Venice?
Is there any preparation you could do for RE?

I like the science paper idea, I think that will be of use to me.

I usually spent 2-3 hours on IT. Doing the half hours blocks after school is possible as I can always leave but during the lesson I don't have a choice. I don't struggle too much with it though, unless I've had a long or unusually busy day.

I checked out your Of Mice and Men post and it's very useful, thank you !!

The question I'll have to answer for my MOV assessment hasn't been confirmed but I know it will be on the theme of loss.

For RE the best thing I can do is revise and use past papers.

Also the puns are great, don't apologise !!
I like the science paper idea, I think that will be of use to me.
I'm glad. It got me 3 As and I didn't even yawn!
I usually spent 2-3 hours on IT. Doing the half hours blocks after school is possible as I can always leave but during the lesson I don't have a choice. I don't struggle too much with it though, unless I've had a long or unusually busy day.
OK. Just be careful not to spend too long staring at a screen. Including TSR!
I checked out your Of Mice and Men post and it's very useful, thank you!
No problem. Think of it as a checklist.
The question I'll have to answer for my MOV assessment hasn't been confirmed but I know it will be on the theme of loss.
So MoV is coursework?
For RE the best thing I can do is revise and use past papers.
Revise how? How long are the past papers.
Also the puns are great, don't apologise !!
Ta
Reply 12
Original post by 04MR17
I'm glad. It got me 3 As and I didn't even yawn!
OK. Just be careful not to spend too long staring at a screen. Including TSR!
No problem. Think of it as a checklist.
So MoV is coursework?
Revise how? How long are the past papers.
Ta

I'm not sure if it's coursework, I wouldn't consider it to be. It's more just a controlled assessment, I have to complete it in class.

To revise, I'd usually use revision flash cards, find videos on the subject, read through a textbook and then answer the questions. Past papers are usually 1hour 30 minutes.
I'm not sure if it's coursework, I wouldn't consider it to be. It's more just a controlled assessment, I have to complete it in class.
I call that coursework.
To revise, I'd usually use revision flash cards, find videos on the subject, read through a textbook and then answer the questions. Past papers are usually 1hour 30 minutes.
What exam board is it? Is this exam split into sections? RE would be a good one to make notes on, e.g. from videos and textbooks. Make it colourful, make it arty... ooh creative... ooh...
Reply 14
Original post by 04MR17
I call that coursework.What exam board is it? Is this exam split into sections? RE would be a good one to make notes on, e.g. from videos and textbooks. Make it colourful, make it arty... ooh creative... ooh...

The RE exam board is AQA.

..Oooooohhh arty
The RE exam board is AQA.
..Oooooohhh arty
I've just realised that does actually sound quite orgasmic. Are you doing:
http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/religious-studies/gcse/religious-studies-a-4050
or:
http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/religious-studies/gcse/religious-studies-b-4055

My questions are:

Wow! I have just seen this. It exactly mirrors my teenager's situation. They have same issue. Mocks this week. Unable to sit these either. Struggling. Seven years in, can you remember how you coped? Any help appreciated greatly. Parent.
Original post by Popcazlu
Wow! I have just seen this. It exactly mirrors my teenager's situation. They have same issue. Mocks this week. Unable to sit these either. Struggling. Seven years in, can you remember how you coped? Any help appreciated greatly. Parent.

I failed all of my mocks miserably! Managed to get additional Maths and English tutoring within school after this and also fortunately was able to have a science tutor and a maths tutor for an hour a week at home. Would definitely also recommend doing practice papers when motivation and energy strike!

I ended up with 2 Bs and 3 Cs which is what I needed for the next step and now have a degree (something which we thought would be impossible given there was a time I was only doing an hour a day at school). I still struggle with my CFS and can only work part-time but there is definitely hope! Try not to worry too much. It helped that my parents were patient and didn’t place any expectations on me (even if the school liked to pile on the pressure!).

Quick Reply

Latest