The Student Room Group

Not paying tax on summer employment

I am working during the summer and do not want to pay tax on my wages. I have been told I have to fill in a tax form - p38. The only problem is this - it asks you to state which college/university you attend and will be attending til next april. As I am just about to leave college, I obviously can't put the name of that down...but with a conditional offer for my uni I obviously can't put that down either...anyone know what I can do?

Thanks in advance.

Laura
Reply 1
piginapoke
After looking at the form and the IR website I would say put down your current college, but if you're in doubt you could phone the IR or your local tax office.

There must be lots of people in this situation, they'll have come across it before. I'm sure they're not too bothered about which college/uni you're going to as long as you're not making it up, which they could check up on if they really wanted to anyway.

The IR website simply says you must "be a student who is planning to continue being a student until after 5 April next" which you will be, so nothing to worry about. If for some reason you weren't, the IR would presumably want the tax paying.

Thanks - helps a lot.

Latest

Trending

Trending