The Student Room Group

Do you think Macbeth is merely a "butcher"?

Hi, I have to decide whether or not Macbeth is only presented as a butcher within the play. It has been easy enough to find instances where he is can be seen as a butcher, but I need an argument against?
Can anybody think of potential arguments that could challenge this view?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks!
Original post by VictoriaS_xoxo
Hi, I have to decide whether or not Macbeth is only presented as a butcher within the play. It has been easy enough to find instances where he is can be seen as a butcher, but I need an argument against?
Can anybody think of potential arguments that could challenge this view?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks!

You could argue that Lady Macbeth is the actual butcher of the play, since she is the one who actually tells him, not even tells him, verbally coerces him into murder and butchering. You could argue because of this poisonous language, he was not acting in his right mind. Also, she threatened his manliness a lot, which put a lot of pressure on Macbeth, resulting him to either do her bidding or suffer a breakdown in marriage.

She's an evil one that Lady Macbeth!

I'm writing an essay on it at uni as I type!
That is a really valid point thankyou! I have been really struggling to have enough to say about why Macbeth is not a butcher but I could add this in, I hadn't really thought about that before haha
Hope your uni essay is going okay, thanks again for your help! :smile:
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
You could argue that Lady Macbeth is the actual butcher of the play, since she is the one who actually tells him, not even tells him, verbally coerces him into murder and butchering. You could argue because of this poisonous language, he was not acting in his right mind. Also, she threatened his manliness a lot, which put a lot of pressure on Macbeth, resulting him to either do her bidding or suffer a breakdown in marriage.

She's an evil one that Lady Macbeth!

I'm writing an essay on it at uni as I type!

Original post by VictoriaS_xoxo
That is a really valid point thankyou! I have been really struggling to have enough to say about why Macbeth is not a butcher but I could add this in, I hadn't really thought about that before haha
Hope your uni essay is going okay, thanks again for your help! :smile:

But then consider this:

Macbeth's first words echoes that of the witches. Lady Macbeth's first words echo that of Macbeth's. So do you think that Lady Macbeth is the true butcher or has Macbeth already "poured [his] spirits into [her] ear" without her knowing it?

I think Lady Macbeth is more innocent and victimised than we often make out. She fulfils the role of a supportive wife - supporting him in his weakest moments, helping him to achieve his ambition and covering for him when he is about to cripple. When she has her weakest moments, he brushes her to the side (in that 'tomorrow, tomorrow' soliloquy).

Just a possible opposing argument to yours :wink:
Reply 4
I think you should pick apart the questions carefully Do you think that Macbeth is merely portrayed as ”a butcher'? The question needs you to consider two things what makes a butcher, but more importantly is he merely one. So I would go and indetifiy what a butcher means in your arguement, and then find points to suggests that he is not merely a butcher. Macbeth is a very complex character, and to write him off as a btucher would do diservice to Shakespeare's character construction. He is also a very apt leader, which is clear in the opening scenes of the play. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending