The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Offer from Exeter?!

I've had an offer from Exeter for English for A*AA, which is my first choice. However, I'm really not sure that I'll be able to make those grades - I'm more AAA/AAB. Would there be any point of me calling to see if they'd lower my offer?? xxx
Reply 1
Original post by emilyegg
I've had an offer from Exeter for English for A*AA, which is my first choice. However, I'm really not sure that I'll be able to make those grades - I'm more AAA/AAB. Would there be any point of me calling to see if they'd lower my offer?? xxx

Sorry, but the answer is no. Good luck in making your decisions - you have an insurance.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Honestly no point asking for them to lower it, sorry. That is their offer and I am afraid they literally don't change it under almost any circumstances. I mean, you could have a crack but :s-smilie: Or you could go ambitious with Exeter and then a safe insurance uni as your second choice.
Reply 3
Thanks. My problem is that I have an unconditional from UEA and so I can't decide whether to go ambitious or to stay safe!
Thanks. My problem is that I have an unconditional from UEA and so I can't decide whether to go ambitious or to stay safe!

Exeter make different offers depending on your school. There is the normal offer that you have and the contextual lower offer you get if your school is in the bottom 40% which is why there is always a range shown.
As far as the offer from East Anglia goes only you can decide. What are your predicted grades against their offer as an insurance. How likely are you to meet this offer and do you want the certainty of the unconditional offer.
Unconditional offers are now made by most universities. Exeter is amongst a group that don't. They are used by universities as a marketing ploy so you choose them. This gives them the certainty of numbers otherwise they might not fill their places. The likes of Exeter and Durham who do not make these offers know they will fill their places so don't need to make unconditional offers.
It really boils down to choice and how likely you think you will meet Exeter's offer but the unconditional offer is to drag you into East Anglia.

If you choose a conditional offer as your firm choice, you can choose an unconditional offer as your insurance. Is UEA's offer conditional on you making it your firm choice?
Reply 6
Yeah, if I put it as my insurance then it's conditional.

In that case, you face a dilemma. Just as UEA hoped...

You should perhaps bear in mind that there can be a risk in accepting an unconditional offer - it seems that many students relax a little with the unconditional offer and do not achieve their full potential at A2. If you have the standard offer from UEA of AAB, and you think that is achievable, then would this not be a reasonable insurance choice for you? If so, then you would be able to aim for the Exeter grades whilst retaining a reasonable insurance offer? If you hold a much lower offer that you could use instead as your insurance, try comparing all three on Unistats - there is little to distinguish UEA from Exeter (students' achieved UCAS scores, accommodation costs, how prompt the feedback is, and % into managerial jobs after the degree being the few exceptions).

Don't forget accommodation is only guaranteed if you firm UEA. Make sure you join us at an Applicant Day to find out a bit more about what we're all about :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending