The Student Room Group

Ahmed the 'Clock Boy' seeks $15 million in compensation

Parents of Ahmed Mohamed, the boy temporarily detained in September for bringing a suspected bomb/hoax bomb to school, which turned out to be clock parts in a pencil case, have threatened to sue the Texas city of Irving unless they pay them $15 million in compensation.

Huffington Post
Time
Breitbart

Not long after the initial incident, Ahmed received widespread support on social media, an invitation to the White House from the president, internship offers from major tech companies, several scholarship offers - one of which he is now undertaking in Qatar - as well as numerous gifts and donations.

I think this going too far. Firstly, I don't think the school acted unreasonably (hear me out). The clock looked rather suspicious, he allegedly kept taking it out and setting off the alarm even though the teachers told him not to, and in the current climate around bomb threats and zero-tolerance on related practical jokes, that is enough to warrant a talking to by the police (who, lest we forget, let him go home as soon as they suspected no foul play). And lets not kid ourselves, had he been white, or Chinese, or anything else, there would have been no media furore. It should have just ended there. But he was Arab, and his father who just so happened to be a Muslim political activist, decided to take this as far as he could (and is now attempting to milk it further for a cool $15 million).

There was a lot of bad initial reporting on this, and people jumped on the bandwagon before reading into it. I think this recent development really solidifies this as an open-and-shut case of pure opportunism.

(Yes I see the typo in the title...)
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

They need a good slap. 15 mill in compensation...give me a damn break. They all need to be quiet and move on
He should go on Judge Judy and claim for 'suffering'. She always dismisses those cases.

I am not sure whether money is the right thing to get to make this right. The person who came to the figure of $15 million must be pulling it from somewhere that the sun does not shine from.

He's recieved many things so far in the way of compensation (and then some!). Some people... :rofl:
Reply 3
15 million? I wonder what damages he suffered to justify that amount.
Original post by kka25
15 million? I wonder what damages he suffered to justify that amount.
Melting of snowflakes.
Reply 5
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
Melting of snowflakes.

Does that fall under tort or criminal?
Original post by kka25
Does that fall under tort or criminal?
Conversion of property
Original post by Dandaman1
Parents of Ahmed Mohamed, the boy temporarily detained in September for bringing a suspected bomb/hoax bomb to school, which turned out to be clock parts in a pencil case, have threatened to sue the Texas city of Irving unless they pay them $15 million in compensation.

Huffington Post
Time
Breitbart

Not long after the initial incident, Ahmed received widespread support on social media, an invitation to the White House from the president, internship offers from major tech companies, several scholarship offers - one of which he is now undertaking in Qatar - as well as numerous gifts and donations.

I think this going too far. Firstly, I don't think the school acted unreasonably (hear me out). The clock looked rather suspicious, he allegedly kept taking it out and setting off the alarm even though the teachers told him not to, and in the current climate around bomb threats and zero-tolerance on related practical jokes, that is enough to warrant a talking to by the police (who, lest we forget, let him go home as soon as they suspected no foul play). And lets not kid ourselves, had he been white, or Chinese, or anything else, there would have been no media furore. It should have just ended there. But he was Arab, and his father who just so happened to be a Muslim political activist, decided to take this as far as he could (and is now attempting to milk it further for a cool $15 million).

There was a lot of bad initial reporting on this, and people jumped on the bandwagon before reading into it. I think this recent development really solidifies this as an open-and-shut case of pure opportunism.

(Yes I see the typo in the title...)

Not sure what's a bigger joke- the fact that people are criticising the police and school actions, or that this kid got a White House visit, free gifts and internship offers for taking a clock out of it's case and putting it in a new one.
Reply 8
I think its time the FBI did a quick snatch and run operation
Reply 9
15m??? Talk about abusing situations!

I'm glad that he got that scholarship and all those gifts but they can't be serious here...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Go big or go home.
Top lad. Why not 150m and a white cat.
Reply 12
Original post by Bill_Gates
Top lad. Why not 150m and a white cat.

Soz Blofeld
Original post by *Stefan*
15m??? Talk about abusing situations!

I'm glad that he got that scholarship and all those gifts but they can't be serious here...

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're glad he got a scholarship for taking a screwdriver and transferring a clock from its case to a box?!?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Greedy little ****...

Society will literally bender over backwards to help these pricks.
Reply 15
There is a limit to how much this boy can ride this story, he got support and recognition, but 15 million is a joke, no damages to that extent were caused
I don't blame the boy as he's just riding this. The lawyers are lapping this up so that they can get higher fees. It'll be interesting to see the outcome. I doubt any judge in his/her right mind would let this pass.
(edited 8 years ago)
So is this just his parents milking this then (just read the OP part) not the boy himself?
I don't blame him for suing. Whether that amount is justified is another matter.
didn't his sister get suspended for fake bomb threats in the past? idk why this kids arrest was treated with so much hostility. If another family member made a threat like that, then of course i would have every suspicion that this bloke could be doing the same thing. Why he is seeking compensation escapes me.

Quick Reply