The Student Room Group

Materials Sciences and Engineering at Imperial College London

Hi! I was wondering if anyone has gotten an interview offer from imperial for materials sciences and engineering. I can't find any description about interview for materials sciences and engineering on the course requirement page but I'm worried because people who applied to other majors have already gotten interview offers...
Reply 1
Original post by sunshineinsky
Hi! I was wondering if anyone has gotten an interview offer from imperial for materials sciences and engineering. I can't find any description about interview for materials sciences and engineering on the course requirement page but I'm worried because people who applied to other majors have already gotten interview offers...

Hi, I am applying for this course too and I haven't heard anything from the university yet...UCAS sent in October.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi,I am also applying for this course. I have already been interviewed on 12th Nov. They told me that I was in the second interview batch. I wish they will invite you soon.
Reply 3
Original post by Techin T.
Hi,I am also applying for this course. I have already been interviewed on 12th Nov. They told me that I was in the second interview batch. I wish they will invite you soon.

Hi, I have got the interview in the coming Thursday, any suggestions or any sample questions they have asked?
Reply 4
Original post by hahaox768
Hi, I have got the interview in the coming Thursday, any suggestions or any sample questions they have asked?

Update : I just got offer on 3rd Dec. My condition is AA (I have already got A* in Maths)

About the interview, I was asked mostly about my personal statement. Make sure that you understand what you wrote in it well and don't be nervous.
Reply 5
Original post by sunshineinsky

Hi there,

I got my offer on the 3rd December and I was an early applicant so my interview took place on the 5th November (first wave).

The interviews at Imperial would be considered to be academic interviews and the types of questions that could be expected are about chemical bonding, graph sketching, differentiation/integration, questions about personal statement, brief questions about something from the physics A level course etc.

As far as I am aware, there are several waves of interviews, around 7 and I think about 3 of them have been so far, so I wouldn't worry as there will be many people applying for the course who are not early applicants and as such will not have received invitations to interview.

The course at Imperial for Materials Science and Engineering sounds fantastic and is reasonably competitive. Ratio of applications to admissions from 2014/2015 is 4.2:1

I wish you all the best with securing an interview.

I hope this helps,

GeorgeG7
Reply 6
Hi guys

I'm a first year here and firstly, you've made the right choice applying. It still feels a bit surreal to be in such a place, but with regards to the interviews, you should be fine. They asked me about differential equations in a jet engine turbine, but relax, I knew nothing about differentials having only done AS Mathematics. They want to see your thinking. It wasn't as intense as my Oxford one, but they still wanted to see my thought process. Overall, the day was lovely, we had a tour and the food was excellent. I got the feeling most of the people they call for interview in our department, they kinda already want. With that being said, applications have really started to increase in MatSci as a whole; I think Miodownik has something to answer for for that!
I'd say try to steer the interview as best as you can to shine good light upon yourself. That is, think of something on your PS you'd like to talk about, and think about a conceptual question they may ask, as most interviews start with "Why materials?" or words to that effect.
Reply 7
Original post by Amanzz
Hi guys

I'm a first year here and firstly, you've made the right choice applying. It still feels a bit surreal to be in such a place, but with regards to the interviews, you should be fine. They asked me about differential equations in a jet engine turbine, but relax, I knew nothing about differentials having only done AS Mathematics. They want to see your thinking. It wasn't as intense as my Oxford one, but they still wanted to see my thought process. Overall, the day was lovely, we had a tour and the food was excellent. I got the feeling most of the people they call for interview in our department, they kinda already want. With that being said, applications have really started to increase in MatSci as a whole; I think Miodownik has something to answer for for that!
I'd say try to steer the interview as best as you can to shine good light upon yourself. That is, think of something on your PS you'd like to talk about, and think about a conceptual question they may ask, as most interviews start with "Why materials?" or words to that effect.

Update : I just got offer on 3rd Dec. My condition is AA (I have already got A* in Maths)

About the interview, I was asked mostly about my personal statement. Make sure that you understand what you wrote in it well and don't be nervous.

Hi,
I was just wondering what is the possibility that I get an offer from Imperial with 3A's predicted to study mechanical engineering?
I know they require A* in Maths but is there still a chance I can get a place with an A instead?
Thanks
Reply 8

Excuse me, can I know your predictions ?
Reply 9
Original post by macosid
Excuse me, can I know your predictions ?

My predicted grades are 3A* in Further Maths,Chemistry and Physics with A* in Maths that I've already got.
Reply 10
My predicted grades are 3A* in Further Maths,Chemistry and Physics with A* in Maths that I've already got.

I also got A* in my Maths already. But I was only predicted 2A in Physics and Chemistry. So sad that I can't see any possibility that I can get an offer. I am a international student.
Original post by macosid
I also got A* inmy Maths already. But I was only predicted 2A in Physics and Chemistry. So sad that I can't see any possibility that I can get an offer. I am a international student.

Are u applying for Materials science as well?
Typical offer is A*AA,isn't it? You still have a chance.
Reply 12
Are u applying for Materials science as well?
Typical offer is A*AA,isn't it? You still have a chance.

Hope that I can get in. Anyway, many thanks for your reply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending