The Student Room Group

For you, whats the scariest symptom of a panic attack?

I've suffered from these for years now and I'm always interested to hear how they affect other people. My close family suffer from them too and they only ever seem to get the physical symptoms like a churning stomach, pounding heart, dizziness etc whereas I get the physical symptoms yes but for me, the worst symptoms are the horrible impending death and doom feeling. I don't get those with every panic attack, only the major, earth shattering ones. I used to think I was the only one who felt those feelings during an attack as its only ever the physical symptoms you hear about usually.

The impending death and doom feeling is horrible and it seems to make the attack feel never ending and even once the panic has gone, I still find it hard to shake off that fear of death and doom feeling for hours, maybe even days after a bad panic attack. Sometimes I've found the aftermath to be worse than the actual attack because my anxiety remains so high and I feel spacey, knackered, almost drugged like and that can last days. Physical symptom wise I would say the pounding heart is the worst. I feel like it just going to burst through my chest or just suddenly stop beating and I'll die. Feels like it'll never stop pounding. That horrible feeling of dread in the pit of your stomach is horrible too

Thought this thread would be good for discussing panic attacks as you often worry your symptoms are often something more serious than anxiety and can make you feel alone.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

For me panic attacks are both physical and intellectual. I feel dizzy and tired and i get either boiling hot or freezing cold, i then start to shake and cannot talk, my throat is dry and its impossible to talk. Intellectually i feel like im a huge mistake and get extremely paranoid on other people watching me or judging me.
Honestly its horrible... its like pain and thoughts all at once...its almost like some sort of hallucinogenic
Original post by Spock's Socks
I've suffered from these for years now and I'm always interested to hear how they affect other people. My close family suffer from them too and they only ever seem to get the physical symptoms like a churning stomach, pounding heart, dizziness etc whereas I get the physical symptoms yes but for me, the worst symptoms are the horrible impending death and doom feeling. I don't get those with every panic attack, only the major, earth shattering ones. I used to think I was the only one who felt those feelings during an attack as its only ever the physical symptoms you hear about usually.

The impending death and doom feeling is horrible and it seems to make the attack feel never ending and even once the panic has gone, I still find it hard to shake off that fear of death and doom feeling for hours, maybe even days after a bad panic attack. Sometimes I've found the aftermath to be worse than the actual attack because my anxiety remains so high and I feel spacey, knackered, almost drugged like and that can last days. Physical symptom wise I would say the pounding heart is the worst. I feel like it just going to burst through my chest or just suddenly stop beating and I'll die. Feels like it'll never stop pounding. That horrible feeling of dread in the pit of your stomach is horrible too

Thought this thread would be good for discussing panic attacks as you often worry your symptoms are often something more serious than anxiety and can make you feel alone.
Posted from TSR Mobile
For me, the worst bit is when you realise that you're about to have an attack, and that there's no way to stop it

Plus the dizziness and having to strip/go outside because I start burning up so much
I mean, not being able to breathe is pretty terrifying....
For me it's when you start to see white dots everywhere because you can't breathe properly
Reply 5
don't suffer from panic attacks but omg y'all that sounds horrible! :frown:
y'all are warriors
Stay strong!! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by z33
don't suffer from panic attacks but omg y'all that sounds horrible! :frown:
y'all are warriors
Stay strong!! :smile:

Thanks, that's really nice of you to say :smile: hope you never have a panic attack. Wouldn't wish them on my worse enemy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
For me its the loneliness and sense of the world imploding in on me. Although that comes equal first with the pain of trying to suppress it when driving until you get to somewhere safe to pull over. That wasn't fun!

I've always been somewhat relieved when it was over though. The stresses had dissipated and left after an hour or so and I felt somewhat better.
Reply 8
Original post by ALevelStudent375
For me panic attacks are both physical and intellectual. I feel dizzy and tired and i get either boiling hot or freezing cold, i then start to shake and cannot talk, my throat is dry and its impossible to talk. Intellectually i feel like im a huge mistake and get extremely paranoid on other people watching me or judging me.
Honestly its horrible... its like pain and thoughts all at once...its almost like some sort of hallucinogenic

Worst is when I feel like I cant even look at anyone or anything because I'm shaking too much and I cant breathe. especially my head. it shakes when I'm anxious it looks like I have tourettes.
Reply 9
I think I find the mental feelings that come with a panic worse than any physical symptom because I have OCD and its quite severe and the obsessions I have relate to things like death, doom, illness etc and I find it hard to shake off thought intrusive thoughts so the fear I feel during a panic becomes an intrusive obsession and thought and only adds to the OCD obsessions I already have. I'm waiting for therapy for OCD and I'm hoping once I get that under control, I won't have any more panics. I still get panic attacks every day and have done for the last 4 years but for me personally, as hellish as they are, they are nothing compared to OCD.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I think I find the mental feelings that come with a panic worse than any physical symptom because I have OCD and its quite severe and the obsessions I have relate to things like death, doom, illness etc and I find it hard to shake off thought intrusive thoughts so the fear I feel during a panic becomes an intrusive obsession and thought and only adds to the OCD obsessions I already have. I'm waiting for therapy for OCD and I'm hoping once I get that under control, I won't have any more panics. I still get panic attacks every day and have done for the last 4 years but for me personally, as hellish as they are, they are nothing compared to OCD.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Every day?! Good god! I feel really sorry for you :hugs:

I've only had a couple, which were both this year and have triggered anxiety problems. But I see I've got off quite lightly now.
Reply 11
Original post by dhr90
Every day?! Good god! I feel really sorry for you :hugs:

I've only had a couple, which were both this year and have triggered anxiety problems. But I see I've got off quite lightly now.

Mine started with just one out the blue and quickly it progressed to I got them at set times such as being in crowds, being on public transport, while eating etc to the point I became housebound for six months because of them. It developed that quickly for me over the course of a few months. I am a lot better now though. I'm no longer housebound at all and the panics I get aren't really too bad now, its mostly the OCD that gets to me but every day I get minor to moderate panics and maybe a major one, once or twice a week.

I'm glad they haven't got worse for you. They are truly terrifying. I read one of yours happened while driving, a lot of mine happened while driving too. I haven't drove since :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Mine started with just one out the blue and quickly it progressed to I got them at set times such as being in crowds, being on public transport, while eating etc to the point I became housebound for six months because of them. It developed that quickly for me over the course of a few months. I am a lot better now though. I'm no longer housebound at all and the panics I get aren't really too bad now, its mostly the OCD that gets to me but every day I get minor to moderate panics and maybe a major one, once or twice a week.

I'm glad they haven't got worse for you. They are truly terrifying. I read one of yours happened while driving, a lot of mine happened while driving too. I haven't drove since :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've always felt slightly on edge in crowds, but since I had my first attack, if I'm in a big dense crowd, particularly one thats moving, I have to go out of my way to get to an edge and make space for myself now. I've never really been claustrophobic before either.

Yeah, stuck on the M25 alone in the pouring rain with 15 odd miles to the services to stop. Grim doesn't begin to describe it. Think that one was stress induced more than anything. You should try to get back into driving one day, don't let it beat you or hold you back :smile:
Reply 13
Do any of you ever feel like your vision goes funny when you have a panic? I can't really describe how it feels, my vision obviously doesn't change or it would be easy to describe but things look different. Also sounds get louder too. I have to tell my bf to stop talking for a minute when I have one because everything becomes ten times louder and him talking normally can sound like a roar. I think its just symptoms of DP and DR but its bloody scary.
Very true.. i find looking at things and touching objects helps recognize my surroundings, just a tip, wont work for everyone xx
Original post by millmill2
Worst is when I feel like I cant even look at anyone or anything because I'm shaking too much and I cant breathe. especially my head. it shakes when I'm anxious it looks like I have tourettes.
Reply 15
Original post by ALevelStudent375
Very true.. i find looking at things and touching objects helps recognize my surroundings, just a tip, wont work for everyone xx

This helps me too. When I'm at home, touching my fluffy covers or petting my cats help and outside I try and focus on looking at people and see how they are acting fine and there's no great disaster going on and that calms me down. Its like every other calming technique though, some days it works and other times it doesn't. Finding a way to get yourself through anxiety or panics is very much trial and error. Even after having panics for 4 years now, I'm still finding new things that can either help or hinder me.
When do you guys tend to have your panic attacks? I've only had a few major ones over the past few years but they've all been at night when I'm in bed. Always means I get almost no sleep for the rest of the night and feel horrific the next day. Glad I have Propranolol in the drawer next to my bed, they're crap for general anxiety but an excellent abortive for panic attacks tbf :smile:

Anyway, worst bit has got to be the impending feelings of "Oh God, I sort of hope this is another panic attack and not a heart attack or something" :lol: Just the feelings of not being able to breathe and my heart thudding against my chest are the worst physical symptoms.
Reply 17
Original post by WoodyMKC
When do you guys tend to have your panic attacks? I've only had a few major ones over the past few years but they've all been at night when I'm in bed. Always means I get almost no sleep for the rest of the night and feel horrific the next day. Glad I have Propranolol in the drawer next to my bed, they're crap for general anxiety but an excellent abortive for panic attacks tbf :smile:

Anyway, worst bit has got to be the impending feelings of "Oh God, I sort of hope this is another panic attack and not a heart attack or something" :lol: Just the feelings of not being able to breathe and my heart thudding against my chest are the worst physical symptoms.

Mine used to be predictable like I would only get them when on public transport, in crowds etc but since I can go into town, go on buses and all that jazz now, mine just seem to come on at random times now. I seem to get them more at home than outside now. I could just be sitting there feeling fine then "boom!" it hits me and then other times I can maybe feel one building up throughout the day and then it hits me like a tonne of bricks at night usually. The worst panics I've ever had happened at night and ever since I've always felt my anxiety get higher at night which sucks as it gets dark so early now! I always feel rough the day after a bad panic too. Sometimes it can take me a few days to 'recover' from a bad one. I feel shattered, drugged and not just right. Its hard to explain.

I've been prescribed propranolol so many times but I've always been too scared to take them. I took valium once and that made me feel more anxious because feeling calm made me scared as I was so used to panicking if that makes sense?! Lol. I got given antidepressants when I first got panics but they didn't agree with me and I haven't took any meds for anxiety since.
Mine used to be predictable like I would only get them when on public transport, in crowds etc but since I can go into town, go on buses and all that jazz now, mine just seem to come on at random times now. I seem to get them more at home than outside now. I could just be sitting there feeling fine then "boom!" it hits me and then other times I can maybe feel one building up throughout the day and then it hits me like a tonne of bricks at night usually. The worst panics I've ever had happened at night and ever since I've always felt my anxiety get higher at night which sucks as it gets dark so early now! I always feel rough the day after a bad panic too. Sometimes it can take me a few days to 'recover' from a bad one. I feel shattered, drugged and not just right. Its hard to explain.

I've been prescribed propranolol so many times but I've always been too scared to take them. I took valium once and that made me feel more anxious because feeling calm made me scared as I was so used to panicking if that makes sense?! Lol. I got given antidepressants when I first got panics but they didn't agree with me and I haven't took any meds for anxiety since.

Ahh, I see. I've definitely had bad anxiety and feeling a bit panicky while I'm out but I can always seem to snap myself out of it. With a panic attack though it just seems like a physical thing rather than something I can control with positive thinking, in fact I'm usually pretty relaxed when a panic attack has come on. Yup you're right there, they're bloody exhausting!

I've been the opposite actually, never wanted to try any of the others. Beta blockers like Propranolol are practically just adrenaline blockers really, so they'll help with palpitations and heart & chest related symptoms and you'll generally feel calmer and less shaky. They're not mind-altering at all. Tbh though I think they're much better just for taking when you're feeling anxious, for example when you have a scary meeting or something then pop a couple and they'll make you feel more chilled. If you stick to taking them every day then you'll just end up feeling lethargic and gaining weight (where they slow the metabolism and block most of the action of the beta-2 receptor which is responsible for signalling the body to release and burn bodyfat for use as energy). Nothing like them to abort a panic attack though, for sure :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
The whole "feeling like I'm going to die" thing is the worst.

Quick Reply

Latest