The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Which one should I go for?

Hi guys,

I applied to Cardiff, Manchester, Liverpool, Reading and Kent to study Business Economics. Eventually, I decided to choose either Manchester or Cardiff after having offers from all of them. The most important factor that will affect my choice is the accommodation costs - I really don't want to spend all of my loan on it. Can any current students at Cardiff share their experiences? How much is the cheapest accommodation? Or you recon it's cheaper in Manchester? :s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
I have been studying in Cardiff for the last 3 years.

In my first year, I stayed at Liberty Living Alansbank Halls, (based in Cathays) it cost approx £95 a week for an en-suite room with all bills included with shared kitchen.
Second year, Liberty Living Cambrian Point Halls, (based on North Road) Approx £105 a week for en-suite and all bills included and shared kitchen
Third Year, Mansion Shand House, Now Derwent Students (based in city center) which was the nicest of the 3 but also the most expensive at £130 a week with en-suite, bills and TV with shared kitchen.

I am now doing my masters and living in a shared house in Cathays, rooms are £85-£95 a week with bills included and a big room but shared bathrooms.

according to my friends, this is still quite expensive for Cardiff. I presume that the earlier you find accommodation to best prices you will get and also the best rooms. I left mine kind of last minute so had to take what i could get really.

and in terms of living costs, Cardiff is a fairly large city, always something to do and the great thing is you don't have the crazy city prices!
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Bazymac

In my first year, I stayed at Liberty Living Alansbank Halls, (based in Cathays) it cost approx £95 a week for an en-suite room with all bills included with shared kitchen.
Second year, Liberty Living Cambrian Point Halls, (based on North Road) Approx £105 a week for en-suite and all bills included and shared kitchen
Third Year, Mansion Shand House, Now Derwent Students (based in city center) which was the nicest of the 3 but also the most expensive at £130 a week with en-suite, bills and TV with shared kitchen.

I am now doing my masters and living in a shared house in Cathays, rooms are £85-£95 a week with bills included and a big room but shared bathrooms.

according to my friends, this is still quite expensive for Cardiff. I presume that the earlier you find accommodation to best prices you will get and also the best rooms. I left mine kind of last minute so had to take what i could get really.

and in terms of living costs, Cardiff is a fairly large city, always something to do and the great thing is you don't have the crazy city prices!

Thank you so much! They still haven't sent me the link to apply even though they have said so. I haven't also responded with my firm and insurance choice which might be another reason. :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by tyskan4ik
Thank you so much! They still haven't sent me the link to apply even though they have said so. I haven't also responded with my firm and insurance choice which might be another reason. :frown:

Your Welcome :smile:,

I am not entirely sure, but i am guessing it might be related to you accepting your firm and insurance, it is usually the case before the unis make progression with your application.

Good Luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Bazymac

hi! :smile:
sorry to barge in like this , but you said that in your first year living in halls , that all bills were included in the price? Do you know if the same holds for the rest of the residents?( for example in colum hall )
Because it doesn't clarify it in the site of cardiff in the accommodation section. e.g. for colum it just states that the annual price is around £4,193
thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by effie13
hi! :smile:
sorry to barge in like this , but you said that in your first year living in halls , that all bills were included in the price? Do you know if the same holds for the rest of the residents?( for example in colum hall )
Because it doesn't clarify it in the site of cardiff in the accommodation section. e.g. for colum it just states that the annual price is around £4,193
thanks

Hi,

Although I am not 100% sure about Colum halls and would probably recommend contacting them directly, but Im sure most if not all halls of residence in Cardiff have all bills included. For the price you quoted you should certainly expect for the bills to be included.

Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Bazymac
Hi,

Although I am not 100% sure about Colum halls and would probably recommend contacting them directly, but Im sure most if not all halls of residence in Cardiff have all bills included. For the price you quoted you should certainly expect for the bills to be included.

Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I'll keep that in my mind :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending