The Student Room Group

Differentiating trig functions

Why does X have to be in radians when differentiating or integrating trig functions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
@jlsmpV2
Are you still around trolling?
Original post by jlsmpV2
The derivative of a function of a real variablemeasures the sensitivity to change of a quantity (a function value or dependent variable) which is determined by another quantity (the independent variable). Derivatives are a fundamental tool ofcalculus. For example, the derivative of the position of a moving object with respect to time is the object's velocity: this measures how quickly the position of the object changes when time is advanced.The derivative of a function of a single variable at a chosen input value is the slopeof the tangent line to the graph of the functionat that point. This means that it describes the best linear approximation of the function near that input value. For this reason, the derivative is often described as the "instantaneous rate of change", the ratio of the instantaneous change in the dependent variable to that of the independent variable.Hope this helps

hilarious. not.
Original post by anoymous1111
Why does X have to be in radians when differentiating or integrating trig functions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/720924/why-do-we-require-radians-in-calculus
because 'sine' etc. as a function on the real numbers uses radians.
Like x^3 is defined as x*x*x, it's rate of change is 3x^2, sin x as a differentiable function is defined as the y co-ordinate of a point on the unit circle x radians from the x-axis, not in degrees.
-
Reply 5
Original post by the bear
hilarious. not.

Too advanced for you?
Original post by jlsmpV2
Too advanced for you?
No! Too advanced for you, hence why you have plagiarised.
Reply 7

Posted from TSR Mobile

One reason I can state is for mathematical elegance. Imagine doing a Taylor series with all those 180s hovering about (don't worry if you don't understand what a Taylor series is, you'll see what I mean).

Think of this:

48c5cd3f92a3344fa1ee8e2b429d87a9.png

Versus this:

Attachment not found

Not very pretty, is it?
Original post by jlsmpV2
Too advanced for you?

It doesn't even answer the question...
Reply 9
Original post by Pronged Lily
because 'sine' etc. as a function on the real numbers uses radians.

This isn't entirely true I'm afraid!

It's perfectly possible to define sine etc as a function on the real numbers using degrees. so that

0 -> 0
30 -> 1/2
90 -> 1

etc

The real reason for using radians in differentiation is that somewhere along the line you end up relying on the limit of (sin x) / x being 1 as x->0 and this is only true if x is measured in radians.

(Of course this is the 'A level justification'. At university sine etc are defined by power series, so the issue becomes irrelevant!)
Original post by davros
This isn't entirely true I'm afraid!

It's perfectly possible to define sine etc as a function on the real numbers using degrees. so that

0 -> 0
30 -> 1/2
90 -> 1

etc

The real reason for using radians in differentiation is that somewhere along the line you end up relying on the limit of (sin x) / x being 1 as x->0 and this is only true if x is measured in radians.

(Of course this is the 'A level justification'. At university sine etc are defined by power series, so the issue becomes irrelevant!)

I don't understand why what you say is only true when X is measured in radians? Surely sin(0.08 degrees)/0.08degrees is basically 1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I don't understand why what you say is only true when X is measured in radians? Surely sin(0.08 degrees)/0.08degrees is basically 1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not according to my calculator.

sin(0.08 degrees)/0.08 is approximately 0.01745

If x is measured in degrees, then as x gets closer to 0, the ratio (sin x)/x gets closer to pi/180 which is approximately 0.017453. That's why you need to use radians for differentiation - otherwise you'd have loads of annoying (pi/180) factors to include!
Original post by davros
Not according to my calculator.

sin(0.08 degrees)/0.08 is approximately 0.01745

If x is measured in degrees, then as x gets closer to 0, the ratio (sin x)/x gets closer to pi/180 which is approximately 0.017453. That's why you need to use radians for differentiation - otherwise you'd have loads of annoying (pi/180) factors to include!

But isn't sin(nearly 0) = 0? So it wouldn't it be nearly0/180 =0 not =1

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I think I get it. Like if you use rads you can just say pi/pi = 1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh I think I get it. Like if you use rads you can just say pi/pi = 1

Posted from TSR Mobile

So to say sin(X-180) differentiated = cos(X-180) would be incorrect but to say it was cos(X-pi) would be correct? How are these answers any different?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, we're talking about a limit. As x gets closer to 0, so does sin x. So on the face of it, as x gets close to 0 it looks like you're calculating 0 / 0. However, we can show (and it should be in any decent A level textbook!) that if x is measured in radians, then (sin x / x) approaches 1 as x gets closer and closer to 0.

So to say sin(X-180) differentiated = cos(X-180) would be incorrect but to say it was cos(X-pi) would be correct? How are these answers any different?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't make much sense of what you're asking there - you can't mix up radians and degrees! If x is measured in radians then the derivative of sin x is cos x. Outside GCSE work (and practical things like surveying, navigation etc) no-one uses degrees with trigonometry.

If your 180 is a quantity in degrees, then sin(x - 180) only makes sense if x is in degrees too, so its derivative is certainly not cos(x - 180)!

You really need to find a decent A level textbook that covers differentiation of trig functions from first principles because it covers things like the limit of (sin x)/ x using a diagram which squeezes this quantity between 2 other limits that are easier to evaluate.
Original post by davros
No, we're talking about a limit. As x gets closer to 0, so does sin x. So on the face of it, as x gets close to 0 it looks like you're calculating 0 / 0. However, we can show (and it should be in any decent A level textbook!) that if x is measured in radians, then (sin x / x) approaches 1 as x gets closer and closer to 0.

I can't make much sense of what you're asking there - you can't mix up radians and degrees! If x is measured in radians then the derivative of sin x is cos x. Outside GCSE work (and practical things like surveying, navigation etc) no-one uses degrees with trigonometry.

If your 180 is a quantity in degrees, then sin(x - 180) only makes sense if x is in degrees too, so its derivative is certainly not cos(x - 180)!

You really need to find a decent A level textbook that covers differentiation of trig functions from first principles because it covers things like the limit of (sin x)/ x using a diagram which squeezes this quantity between 2 other limits that are easier to evaluate.

I just don't get why it matters whether degrees or radian are used because if you differentiate eg sin(X-pi) then you get cos(X-pi). Couldn't I choose to write this as cos(180x/pi -180) and that would mean the same thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
I just don't get why it matters whether degrees or radian are used because if you differentiate eg sin(X-pi) then you get cos(X-pi). Couldn't I choose to write this as cos(180x/pi -180) and that would mean the same thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only if x is in radians.

Do you understand how the derivative is defined in terms of a limit?

Doesn't your A level textbook show you how the derivative of sin x is arrived at from first principles?
Original post by davros
Only if x is in radians.

Do you understand how the derivative is defined in terms of a limit?

Doesn't your A level textbook show you how the derivative of sin x is arrived at from first principles?

Yes I do understand that. It's based on the fact that as X approach 0, sinx approaches X. So then you can cancel these out. I just don't see why this wouldn't also be true for degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Yes I do understand that. It's based on the fact that as X approach 0, sinx approaches X. So then you can cancel these out. I just don't see why this wouldn't also be true for degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No - the bit in bold isn't a well-defined mathematical statement.

What is true is that if x is measured in radians, (sin x) / x gets closer to 1 as x approaches 0. If x is measured in degrees, that isn't true. If you don't believe me, try some small values on your calculator and see what you find :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest