The Student Room Group

Turkey & Russia kick off- who should the UK back?

Poll

Who should the UK back?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/621613/Turkey-shoots-jet-airspace

So after Turkey shot down the Russian plane Putin has said they will face consequences.

Who should the UK back? Turkey are in Nato but are also muslims & have questionable links to ISIS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Turkey.
Neither.
Would rather countries stop acting like spoilt little kids.
Original post by Ace123

So after Turkey shot down the Russian plane Putin has said they will face consequences.

Who should the UK back? Turkey are in Nato but are also muslims & have questionable links to ISIS

depends on which side Washington wants westminster to back.
Original post by HucktheForde
depends on which side Washington wants westminster to back.

My thoughts exactly.
I think he meant political consequences rather than military consequences...

Nevertheless, I vote Russia.
Reply 6
They will probably back Russia as they will want them to continue with the whole ISIS issue but I don't think it should concern the UK at all.

Russia is big enough to fight its own battles
Reply 7
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
I think he meant political consequences rather than military consequences...

Nevertheless, I vote Russia.

I did mean politically
Reply 8
Original post by Ace123

Turkey are muslims..hmm okay. Turkey is a secular state but even if the majority are Muslims it didn't stop us backing the Saudis. You talk like there's even a choice on who to back here.
Neither. They are both geopolitical adversaries or Britain.

I vote leave NATO and stay out. increase defence spending and keep trident.
Reply 10
Russia has oil; Turkey has Islamists.
Original post by Ace123

We should back Russia! 100%

I totally support Russia's approach to the crisis in Syria and in support more influence by Iran too.

Turkey has fuelled the Daesh in Syria allowing ISIS fighters to pass through Turkey unchallenged, whilst attacking the Kurds for taking on the Daesh. Turkey deserves no support. I'd even question their future in NATO.

The Russian Middle East policy are far better than the west. We destroyed Iraq, we helped destroyed Libya, we supported the Arab spring which was no doubt influenced by Al Queda.

Long live Russia, Assad and Iran.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AlwaysWatching
Neither. They are both geopolitical adversaries or Britain.

I vote leave NATO and stay out. increase defence spending and keep trident.

I think Turkey's future in NATO should be questioned.

Turkey has allowed foreign Deash fighters through its country unchallenged.
Turkey has attacked the Kurds after they bravely fought off the Daesh
Turkey has shot down a Russian jet and helicopter fighting the terrorists and Daesh.

Turkey should be expelled from NATO
Reply 13
Turkey, otherwise NATO becomes worthless, that'll have worse consequences down the line than this little diplomatic spat.
Reply 14
It's a No-Brainer. Turkey are more interested in subjugating the Kurdish people and deposing Alawite Assad than actually fighting IS. Erdogan wants Syria to end up a Sunni Islamic country. He has sympathies with ISIL. Turkey is a Nato signatory but that doesn't mean jack sh*t now. Erdogan's Turkey are the enemy as far as I can see. Shooting down the Russian jet was simply a desperate act by Erdogan to sabotage any West/Russia agreement against ISIL. Turkey should F*** O** and leave the Kurds alone and be booted out of Nato. Turkey's political aims are contra that of the Franco-Russian alliance against the evil of ISIL.
Original post by Aj12
Turkey, otherwise NATO becomes worthless, that'll have worse consequences down the line than this little diplomatic spat.

Turkey is an expert at manipulating NATO to serve its own agenda.
Reply 16
Original post by Yellow 03
Turkey is an expert at manipulating NATO to serve its own agenda.

How so? They appear to be playing their cards well up to this point but why do you specifically mention nato?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by shawn_o1

Would rather countries stop acting like spoilt little kids.

Spoilt little kids? They shot down a multi-million pound plane & both pilots are probably dead. If I were Putin I'd be furious.
Reply 18
Original post by Ace123

Entirely depends on whether the plane was indeed in Turkish airspace or not.
Poll needs a 'neither' option.

Quick Reply

Latest